Atari VCS Pre-Orders Start May 30

The Benjamins

7c1d1170-357b-410d-a8b9-d5293b2b0b47.jpg

Atari VCS™ Pre-Sale Opens May 30th on Indiegogo!

Featuring The Limited Atari VCS Collector's Edition

Special Retro-Inspired Wood Front and Certificate of Authenticity

Early Bird packages Start at $199 for Atari VCS Onyx

Updated Classic Joystick and Modern Controller Also Available to Order

Enjoy the Linux-powered Atari VCS to play, create or port your own games and multimedia content.

Many popular modern titles will be playable on Atari VCS.
As an homage to our past, every Atari VCS includes
the Atari Vault of more than 100 classic games.
Play all-time arcade and home entertainment favorites like Asteroids®, Centipede®, Breakout®, Missile Command®, Gravitar® and Yars’ Revenge®

A completely modern connected device, the new VCS was designed in California by Atari. The company is partnered with AMD, who provides the VCS custom processor with Radeon Graphics Technology. The Atari VCS platform will offer support for 4K resolution, HDR and 60FPS content, onboard and expandable storage options, dual-band Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 5.0, as well as USB 3.0 support. A complete list of Atari VCS product specs will be posted at the time of pre-sale.

Atari appreciates your support and intense curiosity about VCS games and content, hardware specifications, production timelines and other key information. We're confident that we are putting the right pieces in place for a successful product and launch!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atari-vcs-game-stream-connect-like-never-before/coming_soon#/

I really want to see what this can do, they say it will have popular modern games too. I also want to see what AMD chip is used under the hood.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

ATARI!!! Now with half the CCX's!

Spoiler

Seriously, how many cores do you think it's compensating with?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Love the colour effect with the wood. Same colour as my PC, RGB keyoard, RGB Mouse,RBG headphones, RGB Memory,RGB GPU and Case. Black And Orange is great combo :)

12 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

ATARI!!! Now with half the CCX's!

Hide contents

Seriously, how many cores do you think it's compensating with?

I am hoping for a 2400g like Apu. So 4 cores.

18 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

From what I heard, and this is just rumors, it's just an emulation console that "might" have new games.

I'd dearly love to see this be reality, but given the Atari logo is so tied up in IP lawyers hands, I suspect this console will get sued out of existence the moment it hits production....if it ever gets that far...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'd dearly love to see this be reality, but given the Atari logo is so tied up in IP lawyers hands, I suspect this console will get sued out of existence the moment it hits production....if it ever gets that far...

What? It says it is being designed by Atari so why would they not be able to use their own damn logo?

Atari name was bought by Infogrames (GoodTimes Interactive is the parent company) (it's a French company). They renamed themselves as "Atari". But they are not the original Atari company, nor have anyone from the original company working for them.

This console has nothing Atari about it, beside the looks and the name, and perhaps some licensed Atari games running under an emulator.

Personally, they showed nothing, I would NOT pre-order anything. The whole thing is fishy to me. Sounds like an OUYA all over again, assuming it is even out.

On top of things, it has demonstrated, as of yet, nothing to show why anyone should get this over a Raspberry Pi or similar system (which I am sure can do more than this thing), or a gaming console. In other words, it has no unique experience to give to the user, beside a box that looks like the Atari 2600, with the name Atari on it.

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Atari name was bought by Infogrames (GoodTimes Interactive is the parent company) (its a French company). They renamed themselves as "Atari". But they are not the original Atari company, nor have anyone from the original company working for them.

This console has nothing Atari about it, beside the looks and the name, and perhaps some licensed Atari games running under a emulator.

Personally, they showed nothing, I would NOT pre-order anything. The whole thing is fishy to me. Sounds like an OUYA all over again, assuming it is even out.

On top of things, it has demonstrated, as of yet, nothing to demonstrate why anyone should get this over a Raspberry Pi or similar system (which I am sure can do more than this thing), or a gaming console. In other words, it has no unique experience to give to the user, beside a box that looks like the Atari 2600, with the name Atari.

I am hoping for something good and more info May 30 or sooner.

i look forward to these going up on ebay for $1000

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

That's pretty much what all the rumors are pointing at.  It's made to look like a 2600 for dem nostalgias.  It is rumored to run emulators of various Atari consoles, and might have some new games.  It's like Ouya meets those Nintendo classic consoles.

$20 says it's running off FOSS without any donation going towards the developers of said emulation software.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

On top of things, it has demonstrated, as of yet, nothing to show why anyone should get this over a Raspberry Pi or similar system (which I am sure can do more than this thing), or a gaming console. In other words, it has no unique experience to give to the user, beside a box that looks like the Atari 2600, with the name Atari on it.

Except it's an x86_64 raspberry Pi, running a traditional desktop Linux distro, on a modern(ish) AMD APU with decent(ish) integrated graphics.

You may not be playing Doom 2016 on it at max settings, but it's definitely going to be able to play *many* of the SteamOS titles out there, for cheaper than an official SteamMachine.

And it looks gorgeous. I'm not an aesthetics person, but my gf is and this looks nice enough it might get GF approval for leaving it under the TV. Not to mention it has controllers that match the aesthetic that might potentially get approval to sit there charging.

7 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

From what I heard, and this is just rumors, it's just an emulation console that "might" have new games.

They've officially said several times over that it's running a desktop Linux distro with a bunch of mods and tweaks from Atari, including an Appstore for both emulated retro Atari games and games from third party developers. They said as well that it will bring a full desktop experience to the TV, so it's pretty safe to assume it'll have a Gnome desktop environment.

We also know it's running a "custom" AMD APU that is likely based on their older architectures, and not Zen. So it's not going to be faster, or likely even as fast as the XboxOne or PS4 but it will be more than capable of most indie games.

5 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Except it's an x86_64 raspberry Pi, running a traditional desktop Linux distro, on a modern(ish) AMD APU with decent(ish) integrated graphics.

You may not be playing Doom 2016 on it at max settings, but it's definitely going to be able to play *many* of the SteamOS titles out there, for cheaper than an official SteamMachine.

That is even worst.

Why would get this when you can build your own system out of spare parts or new parts or a mix?

And it looks gorgeous. I'm not an aesthetics person, but my gf is and this looks nice enough it might get GF approval for leaving it under the TV. Not to mention it has controllers that match the aesthetic that might potentially get approval to sit there charging.

You mean the 3D renders look gorgeous. How about the the physical device? You have no idea, you never saw it. What if the wood at the front is not real wood, but a cheap sticker that is pealing off, and the plastic has that cheap plastic feel and look. Not very nice to put under the TV, when you can have a system in a box that looks like a hi-fi system with a  discrete look. Granted the case is more on the premium side, but it would look nice.

They've officially said several times over that it's running a desktop Linux distro with a bunch of mods and tweaks from Atari, including an Appstore for both emulated retro Atari games and games from third party developers. They said as well that it will bring a full desktop experience to the TV, so it's pretty safe to assume it'll have a Gnome desktop environment.

"bunch of mods" + "app store"..... Soooo Linux, with a custom menu, and a crappy store... sounds like OUYA all over again with it's buggy menu, and app store that had phone games instead of console games. You can say Steam all you want, but Steam has big picture mode, and you have SteamOS, which is backed by an ACTUAL store, that has been proven to be solid, works well, and you can find things.

We also know it's running a "custom" AMD APU that is likely based on their older architectures, and not Zen. So it's not going to be faster, or likely even as fast as the XboxOne or PS4 but it will be more than capable of most indie games.

So buy the same indie games, on that HTPC you can build, or on your XBox One, or on your PS4 or on your Nintendo Switch which you can take out and play when the wife wants to watch her shows/movies (or the reverse).

You have just proven my point, why get this system, when you can get XBox One, PS4, or Switch or a custom PC, or an Intel NUC (or similar) system:
1486612244-BOXNUC7I3BNK-th.jpg

So small you can even hide it behind your other TV equipment if you don't like the look. Get yourself an Air Mouse or Air Mouse + Keyboard on the back, like so:

Image1.png.836d80bd36b90b8a6de50d16dd33b20e.png

For less than 20$ Canadian, and call it a day. (And yes it is good... I have it, I made a Netflix box out of old parts. Total cost: 40$ Canadian (Air Mouse above + IR receiver).

Spoiler

WP_20180414_19_55_21_Pro.jpg.2002c56205693e3b064deb95a440f536.jpg

Yes it looks janky to the next level, but considering it is cheaper than a Roku, and runs better than one, and has a simpler interface with what I need, and not the 99% of it being useless because it snot available in Canada, I think it is a winner.  If you wonder, it is an Nvidia ION platform powered by a Atom 330 Dual Core 64-bit 1.6GHz overclocked to 2.1GHz (could go higher, but the motherboard can't deliver additional voltage to the CPU to be stable. Could only add 0.3V to it. And yes it is cool and quiet. HDD is louder than the fan), and has 8GB of RAM DDR2, running Windows 10. Made the start menu full screen (enabled "Tablet Mode"), and using Netflix (with 1080p support (technically 4K but the system can't do it.. too old), and Plex app, and for YouTube, I am using Edge with "Pin website to the start menu" feature. So I have a nice YouTube tile there, tap, and Edge opens full screen to YouTube. Yes I can install Steam, and stream games from my PC. If it was faster, like Intel NUC, I could play indie games natively on the system.

Now the above system may look ugly, but in my case, I have dark tinted glass doors on the TV stand, which makes the whole thing not visible.

That is even worst.

Why would get this when you can build your own system out of spare parts or new parts or a mix?

Because the last time I priced out a similar system it was significantly more expensive, had a larger, more industrial look to it (Silverstone Raven case), and would have been cable management hell. This is a convenient all-in-one solution that I can buy and plop down.

You mean the 3D renders look gorgeous. How about the the physical device? You have no idea, you never saw it. What if the wood at the front is not real wood, but a cheap sticker that is pealing off, and the plastic has that cheap plastic feel and look. Not very nice to put under the TV, when you can have a system in a box that looks like a hi-fi system with a  discrete look. Granted the case is more on the premium side, but it would look nice.

No, I mean the actual physical prototypes that they've had a number of teaser samples with.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/atari-vcs-price-release-date,news-26827.html

And no it's not actual wood. But it's also not just a sticker.

"bunch of mods" + "app store"..... Soooo Linux, with a custom menu, and a crappy store... sounds like OUYA all over again with it's buggy menu, and app store that had phone games instead of console games. You can say Steam all you want, but Steam has big picture mode, and you have SteamOS, which is backed by an ACTUAL store, that has been proven to be solid, works well, and you can find things.

Except Ouya was Android based. This is GNU/Linux. I think they confirmed it's debian based but I may be misremembering that.

Appstore as in Ubuntu Software Center or Gnome Software, except with a custom UI.

And the gaming modifications they're talking about are probably them shipping with the proprietary AMD drivers, some of the Clearlinux and Ubuntu optimizations, MP3 support, and other things that Debian/Fedora/SUSE don't ship with normally.

And yeah, I keep saying Steam because you can literally install Steam on it... With "Big Picture" mode and everything. It's standard x86_64 GNU/Linux. That's why this is nice. If you couldn't install traditional Linux packages on it, I'd be like "whatever". They explicitly mentioned installing Steam during one of the interviews when they were originally mentioning that it's a full Linux distribution and you can install your favorite Linux software.

Edit: worst case they skin everything with a terrible crappy UI... and I reinstall stock Fedora over it...

So buy the same indie games, on that HTPC you can build, or on your XBox One, or on your PS4 or on your Nintendo Switch which you can take out and play when the wife wants to watch her shows/movies (or the reverse).

You have just proven my point, why get this system, when you can get XBox One, PS4, or Switch or a custom PC, or an Intel NUC (or similar) system:
1486612244-BOXNUC7I3BNK-th.jpg

So small you can even hide it behind your other TV equipment if you don't like the look. Get yourself an Air Mouse or Air Mouse + Keyboard on the back, like so:

Image1.png.836d80bd36b90b8a6de50d16dd33b20e.png

For less than 20$ Canadian, and call it a day. (And yes it is good... I have it, I made a Netflix box out of old parts. Total cost: 40$ Canadian (Air Mouse above + IR receiver).

Reveal hidden contents

WP_20180414_19_55_21_Pro.jpg.2002c56205693e3b064deb95a440f536.jpg

Yes it looks janky to the next level, but considering it is cheaper than a Roku, and runs better than one, and has a simpler interface with what I need, and not the 99% of it being useless because it snot available in Canada, I think it is a winner.  If you wonder, it is an Nvidia ION platform powered by a Atom 330 Dual Core 64-bit 1.6GHz overclocked to 2.1GHz (could go higher, but the motherboard can't deliver additional voltage to the CPU to be stable. Could only add 0.3V to it. And yes it is cool and quiet. HDD is louder than the fan), and has 8GB of RAM DDR2, running Windows 10. Made the start menu full screen (enabled "Tablet Mode"), and using Netflix (with 1080p support (technically 4K but the system can't do it.. too old), and Plex app, and for YouTube, I am using Edge with "Pin website to the start menu" feature. So I have a nice YouTube tile there, tap, and Edge opens full screen to YouTube. Yes I can install Steam, and stream games from my PC. If it was faster, like Intel NUC, I could play indie games natively on the system.

Now the above system may look ugly, but in my case, I have dark tinted glass doors on the TV stand, which makes the whole thing not visible.

Because I can't run a full Gnome desktop on a PS4/XboxOne without hacking the crap out of it?

Edit: not to mention that this is *substantially* smaller than an XboxOne or PS4.

Because I can't set up an Xbox One or PS4 with Moonlight or Steam In-home Streaming?

And because a NUC based system would wind up being substantially more expensive? The i3 nuc is $360 by itself... as a barebones... without any storage or RAM...

3 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Because the last time I priced out a similar system it was significantly more expensive, had a larger, more industrial look to it (Silverstone Raven case), and would have been cable management hell. This is a convenient all-in-one solution that I can buy and plop down.

A case costing more than 300$? Don't know where you do your shopping, but it better include bars of gold.

No, I mean the actual physical prototypes that they've had a number of teaser samples with.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/atari-vcs-price-release-date,news-26827.html

How about waiting for the official product, see the final design, then see. It's like many infomercial. Great product on TV, but the product in your hand after your ordered it is not the same on the TV. Quality is not the same.

Except Ouya was Android based. This is GNU/Linux. I think they confirmed it's debian based but I may be misremembering that.

Appstore as in Ubuntu Software Center or Gnome Software, except with a custom UI.

Like I said, same story as OUYA.

And the gaming modifications they're talking about are probably them shipping with the proprietary AMD drivers, some of the Clearlinux and Ubuntu optimizations, MP3 support, and other things that Debian/Fedora/SUSE don't ship with normally.

Are you saying that on Debian/Linux you can't play MP3. I am pretty sure you can. Yup... just tried. Works fine.

And yeah, I keep saying Steam because you can literally install Steam on it... With "Big Picture" mode and everything. It's standard x86_64 GNU/Linux. That's why this is nice. If you couldn't install traditional Linux packages on it, I'd be like "whatever". They explicitly mentioned installing Steam during one of the interviews when they were originally mentioning that it's a full Linux distribution and you can install your favorite Linux software.

So there you go, it brings nothing special.

Because I can't run a full Gnome desktop on a PS4/XboxOne without hacking the crap out of it?

Why do you care in installing Gnome or what it runs on?... The question you should be asking is what do you want to DO with this system on your TV. What is you goal? Netflix? Great! XBox One and PS4 both have Netflix. Win10 machine you have the Netflix app as well to enjoy, like the console, 1080p and 4K streaming. Plex? Again no problem, XBox One/Win10 has an great solid version of the Plex app, maybe even PS4, I don't know never tried.

Edit: not to mention that this is *substantially* smaller than an XboxOne or PS4.

A laptop is even smaller. You can buy one in the used market and hide it somewhere.

Because I can't set up an Xbox One or PS4 with Moonlight or Steam In-home Streaming?

So then get a computer for 300$

And because a NUC based system would wind up being substantially more expensive? The i3 nuc is $360 by itself... as a barebones... without any storage or RAM...

Why get the i3? Get the Celeron or Pentium model. Heck my "box" runs fine on a Atom.... Granted OC like crazy, but Atom is much slower than the latest Celeron of today. If you want to go used, a Core 2 Duo is more than an excellent choice, and give you great performance. Maybe change the fan for quieter operation due to age, depending if the used system has been properly refurbished or not all, and you are set.

To clarify:

• I am saying that this system brings nothing special or new on the table, as far as we know. It's not a low cost console replica like what Nintendo did. It is being sold at the price of a Switch, and even XBox One S when the system is on special (about). This means, you can get it if you want, but it won't do well, and therefore support that you get might get will end up being be weak or worst, non existing. Sure it is a low-end PC, and that is fine.  But it needs to bring something new or unique on the table for consumers to buy it.

• And, also I am saying, to not pre-order based on sentimental value (branding / retro), or what you THINK you will get. Wait until you have the FULL info on the system, you see it action, and if it is to your liking, then yea sure, go ahead have fun. Basically, don't do the same mistake that many did with the OUYA, where the console actually being delivered to consumers ended up being shit quality unlike the original demoed one, and have sticky buttons, the console ended up having nothing special, and just ended up being your generic Android device on your TV box (in this case, Linux box on your TV). All the promises and hype where not even close to be delivered, beside the product itself.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Why get the i3? Get the Celeron or Pentium model. Heck my "box" runs fine on a Atom.... Granted OC like crazy, but Atom is much slower than the latest Celeron of today. If you want to go used, a Core 2 Duo is more than an excellent choice, and give you great performance. Maybe change the fan for quieter operation due to age, depending if the used system has been properly refurbished or not all, and you are set.

Because the Celeron and pentium models have terrible performance for gaming on them?

And where exactly are you finding a Core 2 Duo NUC? A MiniITX board is larger than this system, even without a case.

Even if their implimentation on the software side is totally abyssal, there's nothing else like it on the hardware side right now.

And on the note of Aesthetics... have you seen the cases for the lower end model NUCs? They're these ugly square silver and black cubes... There is absolutely no way my lady would want that sitting on the wall under our TV.

• This means, you can get it if you want, but it won't do well, and therefore support that you get might get will end up being be weak or worst, non existing.

What support do you need for it? UEFI updates? Even for Motherboard drivers, I typically wind up going to the shipset OEM's drivers rather than whatever my MB bundles. And this is Linux, so it's not like the driver situation will be super complicated. They'll likely mostly be mainline. Again, if their software is crap just install your own... or install Windows if you really want...

• And, also I am saying, to not pre-order based on sentimental value (branding / retro), or what you THINK you will get. Wait until you have the FULL info on the system, you see it action, and if it is to your liking, then yea sure, go ahead have fun. Basically, don't do the same mistake that many did with the OUYA, where the console actually being delivered to consumers ended up being shit quality unlike the original demoed one, and have sticky buttons, the console ended up having nothing special, and just ended up being your generic Android device on your TV box (in this case, Linux box on your TV). All the promises and hype where not even close to be delivered, beside the product itself.

...except in this case the hype *is* it being a cheap Linux box for your TV... I mean even if the controllers are terrible, they can easily be replaced. How badly can they possibly fuck up "put an AMD Bristol Ridge APU on a SFX size board"? Mess up the cooling? It's a 15W chip...

Why do you care in installing Gnome or what it runs on?... The question you should be asking is what do you want to DO with this system on your TV. What is you goal? Netflix? Great! XBox One and PS4 both have Netflix. Win10 machine you have the Netflix app as well to enjoy, like the console, 1080p and 4K streaming. Plex? Again no problem, XBox One/Win10 has an great solid version of the Plex app, maybe even PS4, I don't know never tried.

A laptop is even smaller. You can buy one in the used market and hide it somewhere.

I want it for running some light games, internet browsing, Word processing, gamestreaming of heavier games, maybe some server administration and remote desktop if I'm too lazy to go downstairs to my desktop. I want a *decent* cheap computer to hook up to my TV.

Where am I going to hide a laptop? TVs on a wall, there's a shelf under it with our set top box and my Nvidia Shield and Steam Link. This would let me replace the Steam Link with a full fledged computer, rather than just a remote desktop.

4 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Because the Celeron and pentium models have terrible performance for gaming on them?

Well it depends on the games, and it depends if you want to Stream or play natively.

But fine, here, I didn't even look 2min on AliExpress: 4GB of RAM, 60GB SSD (which is probably more than what you'll get from this Atari box, assuming it even uses an SSD and not eMMC), dual core i5 4th gen CPU 290$ Canadian ($222.50 US)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-PC-Desktops-Core-i5-4210Y-Dual-Cores-HTPC-Laptops-Windows10-Linux-VGA-HDMI-WIFI-4G/32819523280.html

I am sure if you dig through the sellers you can find a newer generation Core i5 chip.

Seller has been there for 4 years, and has great rating. DHL shipping, so you'll get it soon, and not in 2 month.

If you search, you can find.

And where exactly are you finding a Core 2 Duo NUC? A MiniITX board is larger than this system, even without a case.

Heuu.. buy used? Used market you can get great things.... or you know look through spare parts, old system you may have?

And on the note of Aesthetics... have you seen the cases for the lower end model NUCs? They're these ugly square silver and black cubes... There is absolutely no way my lady would want that sitting on the wall under our TV.

You mean the old models. Sure... but you can hide it, or possibly put it behind your TV, all depending on your setup. I don't know it, but I am sure there is a way. Like mine, you can't see it despite being a monstrosity.

What support do you need for it? UEFI updates? Even for Motherboard drivers, I typically wind up going to the shipset OEM's drivers rather than whatever my MB bundles. And this is Linux, so it's not like the driver situation will be super complicated. They'll likely mostly be mainline. Again, if their software is crap just install your own... or install Windows if you really want...

I meant the Store, the custom interface, warranty, after sale service, etc.

...except in this case the hype *is* it being a cheap Linux box for your TV... I mean even if the controllers are terrible, they can easily be replaced. How badly can they possibly fuck up "put an AMD Bristol Ridge APU on a SFX size board"? Mess up the cooling? It's a 15W chip...

You'll be surprised

I want it for running some light games, internet browsing, Word processing, gamestreaming of heavier games, maybe some server administration and remote desktop if I'm too lazy to go downstairs to my desktop. I want a *decent* cheap computer to hook up to my TV.

Exactly what the XBox One does, if I am not mistaken.. I'll doubt check, but I am sure you can run Word on it, and surf the web, and have a great interface to do so, with excellent controls.

Anyway, I expressed my view on it, I don't get what you plan to do... maybe because I played with a similar setup in the past, and know it doesn't really work. Unless you have money to spend to take a risk, I would just wait until full details are revealed and the system in properly demoed.

Well it depends on the games, and it depends if you want to Stream or play natively.

But fine, here, I didn't even look 2min on AliExpress: 4GB of RAM, 60GB SSD (which is probably more than what you'll get from this Atari box, assuming it even uses an SSD and not eMMC), dual core i5 4th gen CPU 290$ Canadian ($222.50 US)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-PC-Desktops-Core-i5-4210Y-Dual-Cores-HTPC-Laptops-Windows10-Linux-VGA-HDMI-WIFI-4G/32819523280.html

I am sure if you dig through the sellers you can find a newer generation Core i5 chip.

Seller has been there for 4 years, and has great rating. DHL shipping, so you'll get it soon, and not in 2 month.

Sorry just want to point out that

A) that thing is ugly as sin and if that was under my TV my gf would flip..

B) it's using an ultra lower power, passively cooled Y-series processor. It performs substantially worse on the CPU side than even the Bristol Ridge APUs and if you try any 3D gaming on it for extended periods your performance with go pffffft.

So yeah it's cheaper, but again it has all the same issues that have been brought up with the NUCs.

I've been so excited for this. I've been looking for a good linux HTPC option, and this has been on my shortlist. The price is right, hopefully they have details about the chip under the hood available soon.

2 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

I've been so excited for this. I've been looking for a good linux HTPC option, and this has been on my shortlist. The price is right, hopefully they have details about the chip under the hood available soon.

Their announcement at GDC claimed it to be a "custom Bristol Ridge A10". So it's an A10-9600P, probably at a slightly modified TDP.

10 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Their announcement at GDC claimed it to be a "custom Bristol Ridge A10". So it's an A10-9600P, probably at a slightly modified TDP.

Damn I was hoping for something like a Ryzen 3 2200G. You could build a mean emulation box that could do N64, PSP, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, and even some PS3 with a 2200G apu. Though I guess a $250 system with a $100 apu in it would be really tough to make a profit on, especially with RAM prices what they are.

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Damn I was hoping for something like a Ryzen 3 2200G. You could build a mean emulation box that could do N64, PSP, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, and even some PS3 with a 2200G apu. Though I guess a $250 system with a $100 apu in it would be really tough to make a profit on, especially with RAM prices what they are.

It's not so much price as wattage for that idea. The 2200G is a 65W processor. It pulls literally over 4 times as much power as the A10-8600P and as such generates literally 4 times the heat.

The comparable laptop processor, the Ryzen 3 2200U, is far more impressive than the A10-8600P but is also far more expensive and lacks a lot of what would make the 2200G useful for emulating newer consoles. It also just launched, so wouldn't have been available when they were designing the console.

That being said, the A10-8600P should handle N64, PSP, and PS2 just fine. GameCube and Wii might be pushing it.

I'd be really shocked if even the 2200G handled PS3 gracefully though. I have an i7-7700K and Titan X(P) and have issues with PS3 emulation.