Need help choosing a power supply

Hunterfish

Hello everyone,

This is the first time for me building a pc. I could use some help for choosing how powerful of a power supply I should get. I am building a pc in this formation.

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX h270F GAMING DDR4 7th Gen.LGA1151 Socket Mainboard    12700 tk and stock liimited

CPU: Intel Kaby Lake Core i7 7700k 3.60-4.20GHz 8MB Cache LGA1151 7th Gen.Processor    

GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 Graphics Card 

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 8gb DDR4 2400 BUS Red Heatsink Desktop RAM X 2   

SSD: G.Skill Phoenix FTL 240gb 2.5 Inch SATAIII SSD 

Hard Drive: Seagate 2tb SATA 7200RPM 3.5 Inch Barracuda35 HDD (Desktop) 

Cooling fans: Cooler Master MasterFan Lite 120mm WHITE LED Casing Cooling Fan #R4-C1DS-12FW-R1 X 4

Casing: Corsair SPEC 04 Black-Red Full Window Tempered Glass Gaming Casing    

Mmm...500-550W to give you some headroom? Average PSU requirements for a 1060-based system are usually in a 400W range I think.  You don't have much else in there that's a massive power draw save the obvious CPU and GPU.  You could always stick the parts in PCpartpicker and see the power draw.

A 450W PSU would be more than enough, but you need to make sure it's a quality one.  Check the link in my signature and choose a Tier 3 or higher PSU.

On your build, don't get the 7700.  It's a bad purchase.  An i5-8600k will crush it.  Even an i5-8400 will work if you want to save some money.  Pair it with a Z370 board.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

7 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Mmm...500-550W to give you some headroom? Average PSU requirements for a 1060-based system are usually in a 400W range I think.  You don't have much else in there that's a massive power draw save the obvious CPU and GPU.  You could always stick the parts in PCpartpicker and see the power draw.

The GTX 1060 I chose has 3 fans. That's why I am kind of confused about it. Or does that really not matter?

1 minute ago, Hunterfish said:

The GTX 1060 I chose has 3 fans. That's why I am kind of confused about it. Or does that really not matter?

Doesn't really matter.  Fan power draw is negligible compared to the draw of the GPU itself.

15 minutes ago, Hunterfish said:

Hello everyone,

This is the first time for me building a pc. I could use some help for choosing how powerful of a power supply I should get. I am building a pc in this formation.

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX h270F GAMING DDR4 7th Gen.LGA1151 Socket Mainboard    12700 tk and stock liimited

CPU: Intel Kaby Lake Core i7 7700 3.60-4.20GHz 8MB Cache LGA1151 7th Gen.Processor    

GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 Graphics Card 

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 8gb DDR4 2400 BUS Red Heatsink Desktop RAM X 2   

SSD: G.Skill Phoenix FTL 240gb 2.5 Inch SATAIII SSD 

Hard Drive: Seagate 2tb SATA 7200RPM 3.5 Inch Barracuda35 HDD (Desktop) 

Cooling fans: Cooler Master MasterFan Lite 120mm WHITE LED Casing Cooling Fan #R4-C1DS-12FW-R1 X 4

Casing: Corsair SPEC 04 Black-Red Full Window Tempered Glass Gaming Casing    

Why buy a 7700 non K period? An i5 8600K makes a ton more sense to buy since you can overclock it and it'll do better in the vast majority of applications. You could pair that with an MSI Z370 A Pro and give it a light overclock on something like a Cryorig H7 and have spent about the same amount of money for better performance. Heck, if you don't want to OC you can get an octacore Ryzen CPU and a B350 board for less.

Anyways, that aside.

A Corsair CX450M would be fine for your GTX 1060.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

like the people above said a 500 - 550 watt PSU from a company like corsair 

Setup:

Name: Ryzentosh

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 570 8GB

MSI B350 PC Mate

Corsair Spec-01

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400mhz

Kingston A400 120GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Thermaltake Smart RGB Series 600W

Be Quite! Pure Wings 2

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." ~ Murray Walker RIP

@STRMfrmXMN <-- always trust this guy since he worked on the PSU tier list.  Unless @jonnyGURU chimes in with something different.  As I said before, 500-550W to give you headroom, but you don't even need that much.  If you want to save a few bucks, go with the 450W like he mentioned.

15 minutes ago, ForChickenNuggets said:

like the people above said a 500 - 550 watt PSU from a company like corsair 

That's already way overkilll for a 1060 system

:)

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

That's already way overkilll for a 1060 system

@seon123 look here

9 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

@STRMfrmXMN <-- always trust this guy since he worked on the PSU tier list.  Unless @jonnyGURU chimes in with something different.  As I said before, 500-550W to give you headroom, but you don't even need that much.  If you want to save a few bucks, go with the 450W like he mentioned.

Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

MSI B350 PC Mate

Corsair Spec-01

Kingston A400 120GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Be Quite! Pure Wings 2

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." ~ Murray Walker RIP

7 minutes ago, ForChickenNuggets said:

@seon123 look here

How does that contradict anything I said?

:)

12 minutes ago, seon123 said:

How does that contradict anything I said?

no I was just justifying what I said

Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

MSI B350 PC Mate

Corsair Spec-01

Kingston A400 120GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Be Quite! Pure Wings 2

Don't buy just by brand. Most companies have something great, and almost all companies have something horrible.

Do you understand what we're saying about the CPU though? You're spending more money for less performance.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 hours ago, Hunterfish said:

Hello everyone,

CPU: Intel Kaby Lake Core i7 7700k 3.60-4.20GHz 8MB Cache LGA1151 7th Gen.Processor   

1. get something different here like a Ryzen 2600, 2700 system or so.

2. a good quality 450W like Bitfenix Whisper M or Formula is more than enough, if available for a good price, even a 400W be quiet Pure Power 10 is a good option.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Can you give us a link to the store where you will buy the PSU and your max. budget for it?