will i ever use more than 64gb of ram ?

hello everyone,

will i ever be using more than 64gb of ECC ram in a dual socket motherboard running xeons ? my work involve hardcore workstation tasks : like 20 virtual machines, massive rendering, 3D modelling, intensive nuclear simulations and alot of crazy stuff like Matlab Simulations and SIMScript.

any and all opinions are more than welcome.

thank you all :) 

If you're doing 20 VMs then you're going to average 3.2GB of RAM per VM (if you distribute evenly of course). From what you've described doing I would say you could definitely use 64GB of RAM pretty fast.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, OCD-FREAK said:

will i ever be using more than 64gb of ECC ram in a dual socket motherboard running xeons ? my work involve hardcore workstation tasks : like 20 virtual machines, massive rendering, 3D modelling, intensive nuclear simulations and alot of crazy stuff like Matlab Simulations and SIMScript.

For 20 virtual machines doing these things, you'll probably need a minimum of 64GB of ram.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Just now, Rasbir Singh said:

For 20 virtual machines doing these things, you'll probably need a minimum of 64GB of ram.

Wow! Really! By the way i was Thinking of buying 128gb of ram instead of 64gb but thought it would be too much expensive and just outside this planet, lol

Just now, OCD-FREAK said:

Wow! Really! By the way i was Thinking of buying 128gb of ram instead of 64gb but thought it would be too much expensive and just outside this planet, lol

What motherboard and Xeons?

If it uses DDR3 ECC memory then it shouldn't be that expensive, you can pick up 128GB of RAM on eBay for pretty cheap.

If it's DDR4 RAM though then that's going to be very expensive for 128GB worth of ECC memory.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 minutes ago, Lurick said:

What motherboard and Xeons?

If it uses DDR3 ECC memory then it shouldn't be that expensive, you can pick up 128GB of RAM on eBay for pretty cheap.

If it's DDR4 RAM though then that's going to be very expensive for 128GB worth of ECC memory.

Motherboard is the HP proliant G7, ddr3 memory and two xeon x5690. How much would 128gb of ram cost of ebay? Can you send me some links pls? 

1 minute ago, OCD-FREAK said:

Motherboard is the HP proliant G7, ddr3 memory. How much would 128gb of ram cost of ebay? Can you send me some links pls? 

Depends on the speed you need but it looks like ~$500 is average for 8x16GB sticks

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC1.A0.H0.X128gb+ddr3.TRS0&_nkw=128gb+ddr3&_sacat=0

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

10 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Depends on the speed you need but it looks like ~$500 is average for 8x16GB sticks

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC1.A0.H0.X128gb+ddr3.TRS0&_nkw=128gb+ddr3&_sacat=0

jesus christ ! that so much, if you where me would you invest that much for a socket 1366 dual socket motherboards with x5690 and 8gb x 2 graphics cards ?

5 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

jesus christ ! that so much, if you where me would you invest that much for a socket 1366 dual socket motherboards with x5690 and 8gb x 2 graphics cards ?

What GPUs and what model of the Proliant?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

What GPUs and what model of the Proliant?

proliant G7, two GPUs : ASUS RX580 - 8gb = 16gb GPU VRAM

5 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

proliant G7, two GPUs : ASUS RX580 - 8gb = 16gb GPU VRAM

Like the DL360 or DL380? Because if that's so I'm not sure how you're going to fit both GPUs in there with only one 2-slot PCIe space =/

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Like the DL360 or DL380? Because if that's so I'm not sure how you're going to fit both GPUs in there with only one 2-slot PCIe space =/

i will be using PCIe extensions, i am not using a regular Computer case but a custom made one similar to those exposed cases used for mining rigs. model is DL380 G7

minig.jpg

3 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

i will be using PCIe extensions, i am not using a regular Computer case but a custom made one similar to those exposed cases used for mining rigs. model is DL380 G7

-snip-

Ah, gotcha, so the server parts are just going into the new case then. Well then nevermind about the model worry :P

But yah, if your workload can make use of the extra RAM, I would make the investment. Just for comparison the same amount of DDR4 ECC RAM is about 3.5x as much :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

that sounds like you need a fully kitted serverroom, not a singular workstation.

at work we tend to average about 3-4 VMs per physical machine, although the latest HP DL360 G10 is posing new options to that limit :P

37 minutes ago, manikyath said:

that sounds like you need a fully kitted serverroom, not a singular workstation.

at work we tend to average about 3-4 VMs per physical machine, although the latest HP DL360 G10 is posing new options to that limit :P

Dealing with a customer now who's got up to 25 to 30 VMs per server in some of their more densely populated areas of the data center.

In some cases it makes sense with low power/resource intensive stuff but they talk about it like they're going to start packing all of their servers like that =/

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

11 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Dealing with a customer now who's got up to 25 to 30 VMs per server in some of their more densely populated areas of the data center.

In some cases it makes sense with low power/resource intensive stuff but they talk about it like they're going to start packing all of their servers like that =/

at least they're not relying on a G5 for their data storage :P

6 hours ago, manikyath said:

It's not intended to be a server. It's a productivity workstation, iam using two powerful gaming graphics cards in it (2 x Asus RX580 - 8gb)

3 hours ago, OCD-FREAK said:

It's not intended to be a server. It's a productivity workstation, iam using two powerful gaming graphics cards in it (2 x Asus RX580 - 8gb)

it can be anything you want it to be, but 20VMs is the point where most sane beings outsource that stuff to extra machines somewhere on the network.