New Way of Getting Subs and Tips on Twitch... For Free?

Was having a browse through twitter the other day, and came across an advert claiming that Twitch Partners and Affiliates could generate subs and tips from their viewers playing free mobile games. Link to the original tweet here:

They seem very open and friendly about it, by responding to all the questions raised in the comments. Seems to be that you go to a link provided by the streamer, download a free game and then play it for up to an hour, and generate the tip/sub. The games are supposedly vetted so there is no absolute crap and the sub/tip isn't behind a paywall in the game. I don't know how the actual sub/tip is generated, but I thought it was an interesting topic.

Link to their website: https://www.bitbossbattles.io/quest_mode

Reddit article by the creator explaining the whole system: https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/7ypawh/bit_boss_battles_1_year_anniversary_and/

Let me know your thoughts!

EDIT: To be clear, this is not an ad - thought people would be interested in discussing people using mobile games as a way of generating 'free' subs/tips for twitch, and the possible moral implications and problems this may run in to :)

Edited by DeadM8
Clarity for the reason for posting

4 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Smells like an ad scam to me

You think my post is an ad?

I dunno, in the comments under the twitter post they seemed very transparent, and there were people saying they used it and it mostly kinda worked. Unsure though :)

1 minute ago, DeadM8 said:

You think my post is an ad?

Not necessarily your post, but the tweet definitely. If I had a twitch with followers and subscribers, I wouldn't do this. It seems super sketchy.

Generally "free" still had costs, and more often than not, that cost is there users giving up personal data that is eventually sold to advertisers or used for other nondisclosed reasons.

I wouldn't call this news, it's an advert from Twitter.

2 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Not necessarily your post, but the tweet definitely. If I had a twitch with followers and subscribers, I wouldn't do this. It seems super sketchy.

Generally "free" still had costs, and more often than not, that cost is there users giving up personal data that is eventually sold to advertisers or used for other nondisclosed reasons.

I wouldn't call this news, it's an advert from Twitter.

I'm fairly new to posting on LTT forums - would you say that there is a better place to post this? Was more looking for a kinda discussion on the topic rather than the actual 'advert' :)

It's possible it's "free" but I bet there's a metric ton of advertising, spam and perhaps even more insidious, add-oriented malware that would go along with it. This is common everywhere any major game with micro-transaction has this youtubers or streamers announcing "You can get free X from the game! Just install this app it's fairly easy and totally free" and said app is a figurative if not literally trojan horse aimed at advertisement.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

It's possible it's "free" but I bet there's a metric ton of advertising, spam and perhaps even more insidious, add-oriented malware that would go along with it. This is common everywhere any major game with micro-transaction has this youtubers or streamers announcing "You can get free X from the game! Just install this app it's fairly easy and totally free" and said app is a figurative if not literally trojan horse aimed at advertisement.

I would be interested to see what people who have actually used it say about it. As I've said, there were people in the comments going on about how good it was to use and stuff... and they seemed very forthcoming with information. But yes, I do feel like it's probably a case of "too good to be true" - as one of my friends put it, "I'd be happy to have a go, but you first!" :)

2 minutes ago, DeadM8 said:

I would be interested to see what people who have actually used it say about it. As I've said, there were people in the comments going on about how good it was to use and stuff... and they seemed very forthcoming with information. But yes, I do feel like it's probably a case of "too good to be true" - as one of my friends put it, "I'd be happy to have a go, but you first!" :)

End user? No: End users can be perfectly happy while completely clueless about the security implications of these types of adds.

I would be interested in what a security consultant or fairly professional reviewer would have to say about it first.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Can't wait for crypto to come on Twitch though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Install game, run, leave for an hour, get free sub, ?, profit.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Can't wait for crypto to come on Twitch though. 

Google OneUp Coin ;)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)