Common technology that you've never actually used/owned

light-v
1 hour ago, kennethnakasone said:

Never used an electric can opener before, but apparently they're more common than the manual ones now?

Does electric can openers exist? I have never seen one, and to my mind it seems quite pointless. Non electric ones work just fine.

Tho, it's years since I actually used any can opener, all of the ones that I have gotten have those lever openers built in the can. 

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Mihle said:

-snip-

Yeah,  I agree. For household use, a regular can opener seems fine (and perhaps even safer). Though, I suppose an argument could be made for places like soup kitchens that might need to open a large number of cans quickly.

In any case, apparently it's a common thing now. o_o

Never used bluray.
Last gaming console was PS2 and never saw the need to buy a bluray player and then (at the time) twice as expensive bluray movies. Decided to stick to DVDs until the next big thing rolled around. Given how easy it is to stream movies online these days, I think I made the right decision to skip blurays.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I have yet to own a pc with a newer architecture than westmere-EP (my laptop doesn’t count lol) :D

7 hours ago, kennethnakasone said:

Never used an electric can opener before, but apparently they're more common than the manual ones now?

I've used electric ones but don't see any advantage to them. They aren't any faster than a good manual one (even with my old, arthritic hands), are more work to clean, are more expensive, and take up far more space in the kitchen.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

11 hours ago, avg123 said:

I have never used a toaster xD

How do you have toast, waffles, bagels, etc?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Oopsie

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

30 minutes ago, Lurick said:

How do you have toast, waffles, bagels, etc?

Use a regular oven?

Jeannie

1 minute ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Use a regular oven?

Seems like a huge waste for two waffles to turn on a full sized oven =/

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Seems like a huge waste for two waffles to turn on a full sized oven =/

It depends. If you frequently toast things like that, then it would be a waste to use the regular oven. However, a separate toaster oven takes up counter space and is an added expense so, if one rarely toasts anything or is short on counter space, it would not be a waste.

Jeannie

Just now, Lady Fitzgerald said:

It depends. If you frequently toast things like that, then it would be a waste to use the regular oven. However, a separate toaster oven takes up counter space and is an added expense so, if one rarely toasts anything or is short on counter space, it would not be a waste.

Yah, now a toaster oven vs a plain toaster is a whole other thing too since a toaster oven is much more space efficient than just a plain toaster since it can do more than just toast but bake small things as well :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Well... I've never used a smart watch, not that i want to now, it's pointless, and one other thing that i can think of is... google/apple/amazon etc... assistants... I really like to, but much of their functionalities isn't supported in my region.

I’ve never touched a PS4 (apart from the ones you see in Walmart with bolted in controlers) since most of my friends who still play on consoles have XBONEs or Switches. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

Powered toothbrush.

Intel Xeon E5640 4510mhz 1.10v-1.42v (offset) - C states on (◣_◢) 16GB 2x4 1x8 1296mhz CL7 (◣_◢) ASUS P6X58DE (◣_◢) Radeon R9 Fury Sapphire Nitro (◣_◢) 500GB HDD x2 1TB HDD x2 (RAID) Intel 480GB SSD (◣_◢) NZXT S340 (◣_◢) 130hz VS VX2268WM

I never had Windows 7 on my personal computer. Although, that's outdated tech now.

9 minutes ago, EPENEX said:

I never had Windows 7 on my personal computer. Although, that's outdated tech now.

I feel sorry for you if you went ME -> Vista -> 8

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

any kind of VR, if that can be classed as "common".

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 18.4.2018 at 8:06 PM, Damascus said:

Well, I have x99 but I've never used sli or quad channel memory

this is how it is for most people including myself, back then i thought i get a really good motherboard when i build my computer and then expand later.

especially today where its widely known how bad multi GPU´s perform for games and how much problems you have there is absolutely no reason to get expensive SLI motherboards unless they have other features you want.

I've never owned:

Any XBox

Any Nintendo console

Any VR stuff

A high refresh rate monitor

A higher than 1080p monitor

A mechanical keyboard

I've never bothered with SLI/Crossfire either.

Not really my story but a friend of mine recently told me he never used a car with a adjustable steering wheel.

Never owned desktop VR, but have tried it once

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler