How does this poster for my prebuilt computer and repair company look?

Go to solution Solved by 1234vietnam,

change the repair logo/icon to a screwdriver

Will you build me a customer loop and program my fans and RGB for $80?  I'd specify or at least put another asterisk on the right side too.

just changed "Don't let some..." to "Don’t let some big box store charge you hundreds of dollars for less than a day of work!"

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Will you build me a customer loop and program my fans and RGB for $80?  I'd specify or at least put another asterisk on the right side too.

alrighty that makes sense

1 minute ago, ItsLukenotLucas said:

alrighty that makes sense

fixed. Keep em coming! I want to get his perfect

image.png.3147e18dc1753fe1ae293b22b49ae596.png

Lack of punctuation here looks strange. Probably "." as using another "!" would look repetitive.

Dude, that is waaay too cheap, you could get stuck with a major ass-pain of a system to repair.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, paddy-stone said:

Dude, that is waaay too cheap, you could get stuck with a major ass-pain of a system to repair.

how much do you suggest I charge? I want to keep it as a flat rate because it looks good on marketing pieces.

2 minutes ago, ItsLukenotLucas said:

how much do you suggest I charge? I want to keep it as a flat rate because it looks good on marketing pieces.

Maybe say for "upto" so many hours, maybe 10 hours labour. You might find yourself working on stuff constantly but only paying yourself $5 an hour or less if not.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

No,

You just cannot do a flat rate business model for a repair service without narrowing down to very specific sets of issues. You can set a flat rate time duration for time spent working on a particular device though.

No,

As soon as you become the builder of a cutomer PC, you are required to stand by your work and support it. And end users are idiots.

You also have to buy the parts for your client, because as a client, I would never just hand over $1,500 worth of components to someone I didn't know. Which leads you to the problem that your client might change their mind after you bought the parts, or just disapear off the face off the earth, so you are stuck with an expensive item which you cannot return, because its's a change of mind purchase. That point, you have lost about 30% of the value of the stuff you bought, and you don't even have that as money quite yet.

You are also liable for any parts you break during the build process

You have to exchange DOA parts that day, instead of the standard 2 to 3 week warranty procedure, because thats what the customer will expect..

Building changes signifcantly, I sure as hell wouldn't build a customer water cooled PC for the same price as a $500 shit box.

Also, fundimentally, the people you will be targetting will be the budget constrained who cannot afford a new Acer Preditor from Harvey Norman, so after your $80 build fee, they are going to be very pissed off at how slow the PC was for the money.

Some input from my Media Design & Communication days: 

- You can't use two flat icons and then a photo. Keep it consistent. 

- Also: way too much text, needs to be halved, or less to be effective. Is this a flyer (not enough info) or a poster (too much)

- Aligning text left and right and centered make it seem unorganized, too messy.

- You'll have to distribute the white space a bit more, and pick no more than two fonts, fonts that work well together.

It's been a few years since I was in uni, but maybe that's a start. Also look at similar posters/flyers and think about what you like about them. Nothing wrong with a little inspiration.

Does you mum know you're here?

8 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

No,

You just cannot do a flat rate business model for a repair service without narrowing down to very specific sets of issues. You can set a flat rate time duration for time spent working on a particular device though.

No,

As soon as you become the builder of a cutomer PC, you are required to stand by your work and support it. And end users are idiots.

You also have to buy the parts for your client, because as a client, I would never just hand over $1,500 worth of components to someone I didn't know. Which leads you to the problem that your client might change their mind after you bought the parts, or just disapear off the face off the earth, so you are stuck with an expensive item which you cannot return, because its's a change of mind purchase. That point, you have lost about 30% of the value of the stuff you bought, and you don't even have that as money quite yet.

You are also liable for any parts you break during the build process

You have to exchange DOA parts that day, instead of the standard 2 to 3 week warranty procedure, because thats what the customer will expect..

Building changes signifcantly, I sure as hell wouldn't build a customer water cooled PC for the same price as a $500 shit box.

Also, fundimentally, the people you will be targetting will be the budget constrained who cannot afford a new Acer Preditor from Harvey Norman, so after your $80 build fee, they are going to be very pissed off at how slow the PC was for the money.

I know of the problems that come with doing a business like this. I'm working on my business model to make it easier and safer.

I know of the problems that come with doing a business like this. I'm working on my business model to make it easier and safer.

I only will work on a computer if I know the person and they have asked me specifically. I once had a similar idea (like literally every year 9/10/11 high school student who likes PC's and PC gaming), but no, just doesn't make sense, and there really isn't any word of mouth transfer of that kind of shit.

Get a job at Officeworks, or a similar computer store (One that doesn't pay based on sales, but is a just a flat pay rate per hour).

8 minutes ago, ItsLukenotLucas said:

As Comic_Sans_MS pointed out, your prices will kill you.  For an all new system build I would suggest a flat percentage of parts cost instead of a flat fee.  Maybe 10%?

The repairs, I agree with paddy-stone, set a time limit on that.

Some people seem a little negative, I think it's admirable for a young person to try and start a little business. Let me give you a few more tips, as I have some experience in this field. Do be careful how you handle payments and returns and all that though.

First, the repair side:

Don't charge a flat rate, but say 'maximum charge: $50*' (*excluding parts)

You wouldn't charge 50 for installing someones printer ink would you?

Then just put a few examples, like: Virus removal, upgrades, diagnosing problems, etc. That's all the info you need on there.

On the right side of your poster:

You can set a flat rate, or charge based on the amount of work. If $80 doesn't cover your costs you can always change that or find other sources of income.

And again just put a few examples of systems you can supply, like: Gaming systems, home computers, media PCs, etc. Here you can throw in a little marketing speech 'custom designed, tailored to your needs, affordable, etc'

Keep it short and concise, don't repeat yourself. Like in your mock-up you say the $50 thing three times.

And I hope the blurred out bit isn't your address; only ever put social media, website/email info and maybe a business phone number. Not your personal number. You'll get spammed like you've never been spammed before.

2 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

Some people seem a little negative, I think it's admirable for a young person to try and start a little business. Let me give you a few more tips, as I have some experience in this field. Do be careful how you handle payments and returns and all that though.

First, the repair side:

Don't charge a flat rate, but say 'maximum charge: $50*' (*excluding parts)

You wouldn't charge 50 for installing someones printer ink would you?

Then just put a few examples, like: Virus removal, upgrades, diagnosing problems, etc. That's all the info you need on there.

On the right side of your poster:

You can set a flat rate, or charge based on the amount of work. If $80 doesn't cover your costs you can always change that or find other sources of income.

And again just put a few examples of systems you can supply, like: Gaming systems, home computers, media PCs, etc. Here you can throw in a little marketing speech 'custom designed, tailored to your needs, affordable, etc'

Keep it short and concise, don't repeat yourself. Like in your mock-up you say the $50 thing three times.

And I hope the blurred out bit isn't your address; only ever put social media, website/email info and maybe a business phone number. Not your personal number. You'll get spammed like you've never been spammed before.

Thank you for the advice. I'm just going to keep what Comic Sans said in the back of my mind. I'm not going to let myself get discouraged by him. The blurred out part is my email and personal phone number because I don't have a business phone. Do you know of any other way they could contact me other than email? I'm just a junior in high school trying to run this out of my bedroom so I don't really have all too much money to play with.

Thank you for the advice. I'm just going to keep what Comic Sans said in the back of my mind. I'm not going to let myself get discouraged by him. The blurred out part is my email and personal phone number because I don't have a business phone. Do you know of any other way they could contact me other than email? I'm just a junior in high school trying to run this out of my bedroom so I don't really have all too much money to play with.

Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, if you can get the same handle on all of them that would be good. If you can afford a cheap domain name you can have a professional looking email address like info@lioncomputerstuff.com 

I would highly recommend getting a super cheap phone, doesn't have to be a smartphone even, and a prepaid number. Or you can expect annoying calls any time of day, scammers, robocalls or Indian call centers asking if you need cheaper electricity.

2 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, if you can get the same handle on all of them that would be good. If you can afford a cheap domain name you can have a professional looking email address like info@lioncomputerstuff.com 

I would highly recommend getting a super cheap phone, doesn't have to be a smartphone even, and a prepaid number. Or you can expect annoying calls any time of day, scammers, robocalls or Indian call centers asking if you need cheaper electricity.

Ok, I'll set up some social media and get a cheap phone. I've already got a client that I'm building for so I'll invest that money into bettering the business. I've also got a website in the works using SquareSpace the easy to use website builder for small businesses! Oops, went full on Linus mode there. Anyways, thank you for the genuine help! I'm gonna post the newest version of the poster soon.

you should be REALLY selective in picking your clients. as mentioned above there are many BUSINESS issues that need to be resolved beyond the poster (which looks pretty nice btw)

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p