What features can Sony actually put on the A7s III?

With the A7iii at $2000 and the new FS5M2 at $5200, what features can Sony actually put on the A7s III that separates it from the other A7 line of cameras.

I’m assuming it will have all of the A7iii features like great auto focus, the newer body design, and slow-mo 1080p120.

But, I don't know if they will put things into the A7s III like 4k 10bit or 4k 60fps, because the FS5M2 is can only do those via an external recorder.

So, what do you guys think Sony will do?

Check out my gear here --> https://kit.com/JWMFilms

my predictions

10bit 4:2:2 likely will be offered through hdmi out to external recorder if not in internal recording

higher frame rate than internal max frame rate output to external recorder not probable so if the A7s III can record 4K 30fps internally maximum i won't expect 4K 60fps with external recorder, full hd 120fps likley included but i dont think any higher frame rate

i doubt they will include raw video recording even using external recorder

possible they will include profiles for hdr video, not only slog, hypergamma or rec709 profiles

i dont think they will offer the new color science of the FS5 II in the A7s III

physical design and technical features could be similar to the A7 III like similar autofocus system and likely similar or better low light like the A7s II

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

1 hour ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

my predictions

10bit 4:2:2 likely will be offered through hdmi out to external recorder if not in internal recording

higher frame rate than internal max frame rate output to external recorder not probable so if the A7s III can record 4K 30fps internally maximum i won't expect 4K 60fps with external recorder, full hd 120fps likley included but i dont think any higher frame rate

Yeah, it doesn't seem like they have a lot of wiggle room between the A7 III and the FS5M2.

20 hours ago, Miller1218 said:

Yeah, it doesn't seem like they have a lot of wiggle room between the A7 III and the FS5M2.

As far as recording output, I imagine the a7siii will get pretty close the the FS5M2. There are a lot of other things that the FS5 has an advantage in as far as rigging, inputs/outputs, and professional controls. Really sad not to see 4K 60p internal though. The GH5 is still killing it in that category. 

2 minutes ago, Bustapalapeno said:

As far as recording output, I imagine the a7siii will get pretty close the the FS5M2. There are a lot of other things that the FS5 has an advantage in as far as rigging, inputs/outputs, and professional controls. Really sad not to see 4K 60p internal though. The GH5 is still killing it in that category. 

Yeah, I would really like to see 4k 10bit come to the a7s III, but thats not even available internally on the fs5 so I doubt it.

As far as I'm concerned the main thing the A7ii has on the FS5 is image stabilisation and low light prowess. If they keep and/or enhance those benefits people have a much better range of choices.

4k 60p maybe will be in it if they are trying to compete with the GH5. But its hard to say if they will do that or not. Would be sick if they had internal ND’s but that also seems unlikley. 

We can hope for features like the A7iii but better recording formats and log profiles. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

5 hours ago, Cooloff said:

As far as I'm concerned the main thing the A7ii has on the FS5 is image stabilisation and low light prowess. If they keep and/or enhance those benefits people have a much better range of choices.

4 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

4k 60p maybe will be in it if they are trying to compete with the GH5. But its hard to say if they will do that or not. Would be sick if they had internal ND’s but that also seems unlikley. 

We can hope for features like the A7iii but better recording formats and log profiles. 

Yes, but what will differentiate the A7 iii and the A7s iii

Apologies, I totally forgot your original question.

There probably aren't many things they can do, apart from bumping some numbers that don't really appeal to anyone. They'll likely improve what already makes the camera stand out, but I don't see them launching anything that'll tempt me to buy it.

I doubt very much they'll inject venice colour science into the mix. That'll make it far too close to the FS5ii. With an XLR adapter it would basically be the same camera..

7 hours ago, Miller1218 said:

Yes, but what will differentiate the A7 iii and the A7s iii

Thats the thing, what could they possibly do that would differentiate them without becoming a ”light” FS5? 

4k 60p is one thing they could just add to compete with the GH5 and is kinda likley. I guess they might have sick low light as the other in the ”s” series. But they maybe won’t be that different other than that. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

I think 4k at 60fps + low-light king is what the A7sIII will bring to the table. Couple that with the Z-type battery, almost-dual-pixel-auto-focus, and dual card slots of the A7III and you've got a pretty compelling option. 10bit 4:2:2 is a maybe; could go either way.

The bigger battery and dual card slots alone were enough to get me to buy the A7rIII. I'd been humming and hawing over the A7rII for a long time, but the battery and dual card slots clinched it for me. Everything else the A7rIII brought to the table was icing on an already amazing cake.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

the FS5 mark I could output raw to external recorder with firmware upgrade and FS5 mark II can do same out of the box.  even if A7 camera can do 4K 60fps they cannot do raw video.

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

isn't the fs5 a super 35 sensor? i.e. the a7siii already has a larger sensor? 

What about a higher resolution therefore more pixel binning (which wouldn't be possible with the much higher resolution of the a7(r))? Probably better iso and focusing system too, upgraded IBIS, connectivity, i.e. usb type c etc (don't know how much difference that would make). The advantages of the a7iii body (i.e. extra card slot, somewhat better ergos, bigger battery, joystick, touchscreen).

I mean I do think Sony will be giving 4k60p tbh. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

21 minutes ago, cc143 said:

isn't the fs5 a super 35 sensor? i.e. the a7siii already has a larger sensor? 

What about a higher resolution therefore more pixel binning (which wouldn't be possible with the much higher resolution of the a7(r))? Probably better iso and focusing system too, upgraded IBIS, connectivity, i.e. usb type c etc (don't know how much difference that would make). The advantages of the a7iii body (i.e. extra card slot, somewhat better ergos, bigger battery, joystick, touchscreen).

I mean I do think Sony will be giving 4k60p tbh. 

they could give 4K60 internally for a new A7s camera model.  but I said before i don't think they will let more fps with the use of an external recorder.  the fs5 mark II can do burst 4K120fps with an external recorder.  FS5 cameras have dual memory card slots and variable nd filter which is electronic and better battery and grip for a video camera and including xlr ports for audio.  i don't see a A7 camera body having advantage on the fs5 besides size and weight.  for video the FS5 is superior to the A7 models in almost every way.

11 minutes ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

they could give 4K60 internally for a new A7s camera model.  but I said before i don't think they will let more fps with the use of an external recorder.  the fs5 mark II can do burst 4K120fps with an external recorder.  FS5 cameras have dual memory card slots and variable nd filter which is electronic and better battery and grip for a video camera and including xlr ports for audio.  i don't see a A7 camera body having advantage on the fs5 besides size and weight.  for video the FS5 is superior to the A7 models in almost every way.

even if that weren't the case, the FS5 will obviously be better for video than the a7 line, or they would stop making it. But it is a super 35 sensor right? I'm not mistaken? 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

10 minutes ago, cc143 said:

even if that weren't the case, the FS5 will obviously be better for video than the a7 line, or they would stop making it. But it is a super 35 sensor right? I'm not mistaken? 

yes is super35 which is similar to aps-c size

14 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

for video the FS5 is superior to the A7 models in almost every way.

Yes, I agree 100%. The FS5M2 is and should be better. I'm just trying to figure out how they will improve the a7iii by giving us the a7s iii and not have it be better than the FS5M2. For the most part, those improvements could be better lowlight, maybe 4k 60 maybe, maybe 10bit external. It just doesn't seem like sony left themselves enough room to differentiate the $2000 sony a7iii from the more expensive a7s iii.

3 hours ago, Miller1218 said:

Yes, I agree 100%. The FS5M2 is and should be better. I'm just trying to figure out how they will improve the a7iii by giving us the a7s iii and not have it be better than the FS5M2. For the most part, those improvements could be better lowlight, maybe 4k 60 maybe, maybe 10bit external. It just doesn't seem like sony left themselves enough room to differentiate the $2000 sony a7iii from the more expensive a7s iii.

i dont know what sony plans for future. will they keep 3 lines of A7 cameras, A7 A7r and A7s? i understand if they keep 2 lines, A7r with high megapixel sensor for photography priority and small megapixel sensor for super low light work with video priority. what is their objective? maybe A7 is their entry to full frame line, A7r and A7s for higher end full frame

5 hours ago, LaFemmeEnVert said:

maybe A7 is their entry to full frame line, A7r and A7s for higher end full frame

Yeah, but they all have to have features that are unique and match their prices. The thing that separates that A7iii and the A7riii is mainly the 42 megapixel sensor. What will separate that A7iii from the A7siii and also won't over shadow the FS5M2?

1 minute ago, Miller1218 said:

What will separate that A7iii from the A7siii

high iso low light capability?  A7 III ISO is 200000 maximum A7s II ISO is 400000

2 minutes ago, Miller1218 said:

won't over shadow the FS5M2

no A7 camera will overshadow the FS 5, A7 cameras do not support raw video and i doubt they will include the variable electronic ND filter or audio preamps and xlr ports