File cannot be accessed, the I/O device reported an I/O error

Kidsnd274

Getting these errors randomly on my computer for quite a while when trying to accessing some of my files. It does not happen to only one particular drive and can happen to multiple at a time. It's quite annoying as I have to restart my computer to be able to access those files. The full error is "(some directory) is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

These are the events I found in the event log.

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: I:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume8.
(The I/O device reported an I/O error.)

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: G:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume10.
(The I/O device reported an I/O error.)

Could be one of multiple things. If I were you, I'd double-check that all the cables are properly connected, maybe also try with replacement cables. Then I'd chuck those drives one by one into another PC and check their SMART-status and then do a surface-scan on them to see if they are faulty or not. If the drives are a-okay, I'd then reformat the PC and reinstall the OS, and see if that fixes it. If the issue is still happening, it's pretty likely the mobo that has gone bad.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Dying hdd. Backup and get new drive.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

First start backing up important documents, as this could indicate your drive(s) being about to meet their demise. Try getting a read of their SMART status with CrystalDiskInfo, for example. You can also check the disks in Windows with chkdsk.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I think probably there are bad sectors on your drive, you'd better back up important data.

By the way, you can use CrystalDiskInfo to test it's current status, you can also use minitool partition software to test whether it has bad sectors.