Upgrade 4770k to 8700k

Go to solution Solved by halomaster8000,

I don't think that's a bad drop. Aslong as it isn't noticeable you know? I'd wait till something Hella crazy comes out in the future like zen 2 or Intel i11 ?. Even though it's just a 4th gen CPU. It's not like it's terrible. If you keep having this mindset, you'll forget that PC gaming is about having fun rather than feeling crap because you're 5 fps below your refresh rate. Try turning off the v-sync and see what kind of performance you're actually getting. But if you're using a 1080ti it will definitely bottleneck it due to its old technology, limited cache and inefficiency compared to say an i5 8600k. We were all impressed by the 7700k and that was everyone's dream processor. But now the i5 8600k basically beats it. Anyways if you really want the biggest and the best, go for it it's your money. But I'd say to wait and enjoy your game rather than be unimpressed from your performance

I have had my 4770k since launch back in 2014 I believe. I have it running at 4.4GHz and have only upgraded my GPU to the Strix 1080TI (OC to 2GHz) from my DCUII 780's I had before.

I am still able to run most of my games at ultra max settings at 1440p 60 fps. Except some games like Rise of The tomb Raider smaa x4 sometimes drops to 55fps.

I was thinking that my 4770k may have started to show its age and is bottle necking my 1080ti. 

I wanted to know if I would notice a significant performance improvement If I were to get the 8700k.

I game alot as well as edit 4k videos so I can take advantage of hyper threading and more cores.

I was hoping that Intel would release the 9th gen CPU's this year and they would be 8 core models. Should I just wait a couple more months and wait for possible 8C/16T 9700k?

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

18 minutes ago, DudeWazap said:

I have had my 4770k since launch back in 2014 I believe. I have it running at 4.4GHz and have only upgraded my GPU to the Strix 1080TI (OC to 2GHz) from my DCUII 780's I had before.

I am still able to run most of my games at ultra max settings at 1440p 60 fps. Except some games like Rise of The tomb Raider smaa x4 sometimes drops to 55fps.

I was thinking that my 4770k may have started to show its age and is bottle necking my 1080ti. 

I wanted to know if I would notice a significant performance improvement If I were to get the 8700k.

I game alot as well as edit 4k videos so I can take advantage of hyper threading and more cores.

I was hoping that Intel would release the 9th gen CPU's this year and they would be 8 core models. Should I just wait a couple more months and wait for possible 8C/16T 9700k?

Im personally doing that. Sounds like you dont really need the upgrade right now, so I would advice you to wait.

21 minutes ago, DudeWazap said:

I would wait for the new Intel 9th gen CPUs because they may actually have 8 cores and 16 threads at a mainstream price.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

22 minutes ago, DudeWazap said:

Your CPU isn't a bottleneck, not even for some 144hz gaming

Most I'd suggest is doubling your core count with the R7 2700 on April 19th.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

5 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

Im personally doing that. Sounds like you dont really need the upgrade right now, so I would advice you to wait.

Yeah I'm leaning more towards that as well. 

1 minute ago, Rasbir Singh said:

I would wait for the new Intel 9th gen CPUs because they may actually have 8 cores and 16 threads at a mainstream price.

If the 9th gen chips really will be 8 core then I think i'll wait so I can get the 2 extra cores and see a bigger performance gain.

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Your CPU isn't a bottleneck, not even for some 144hz gaming

Most I'd suggest is doubling your core count with the R7 2700 on April 19th.

My monitor is only 60Hz but I do plan on getting a GSync monitor when Asus finally releases that GSync IPS 1440p monitor they announced last year.

I know I can get a Ryzen chip rigtnow if I want 8 cores but Intel still beats them in gaming which is what I do most. Plus I really love Asus ROG Formula boards which are only for Intel.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

16 minutes ago, DudeWazap said:

You're better off with one of the 1440p 144hz IPS free-sync displays around $399, G-sync isn't worth the extra cost.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NTJmf8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NTJmf8/by_merchant/

Monitor: Nixeus - NX-EDG27 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  ($468.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Nixeus - NX-EDG27S 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  ($429.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $898.98

Probably just add 5-10% more performance here for Coffee Lake vs Ryzen 2

Neither are major upgrades for your CPU purely for gaming, they just add cores

...You don't mean those horrifically overpriced unnecessary boards do ya?

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kGJfYr
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kGJfYr/by_merchant/

Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($413.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $413.99

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You're better off with one of the 1440p 144hz IPS free-sync displays around $399

Probably just add 5-10% more performance here for Coffee Lake vs Ryzen 2

Neither are major upgrades for your CPU purely for gaming, they just add cores

...You don't mean those horrifically overpriced unnecessary boards do ya?

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kGJfYr
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kGJfYr/by_merchant/

Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($413.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $413.99

Wow, I remember paying about $250 for my Maximus vi Formula back then. The prices for everything is higher these days it seems.

And yes I mean that motherboard.If not I can also get the Hero but the formula boards looks so nice. ha

Also don't I loose some features when running freesync with Nvidia cards?

Spoiler

-

14 minutes ago, DudeWazap said:

Wow, I remember paying about $250 for my Maximus vi Formula back then. The prices for everything is higher these days it seems.

And yes I mean that motherboard.If not I can also get the Hero but the formula boards looks so nice. ha

Also don't I loose some features when running freesync with Nvidia cards?

You don't get adaptive sync but do you even notice screen tearing on your current display? Screen Tearing is less noticeable at 144hz anyways. The display will work fine on nvidia cards.

The same type of overkill board is the CROSSHAIR brand for AM4/AMD, and the R7 1700 is likely to drop in price when the R7 2700 comes out, but again, nothing is a major upgrade for gaming.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wFhhzM
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wFhhzM/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor  ($278.24 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG CROSSHAIR VI EXTREME EATX AM4 Motherboard  ($326.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $604.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-07 17:58 EDT-0400

Like even the i7 2600K is still perfectly serviceable for gaming.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You don't get adaptive sync but do you even notice screen tearing on your current display? Screen Tearing is less noticeable at 144hz anyways. The display will work fine on nvidia cards.

The same type of overkill board is the CROSSHAIR brand for AM4/AMD, and the R7 1700 is likely to drop in price when the R7 2700 comes out, but again, nothing is a major upgrade for gaming.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wFhhzM
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wFhhzM/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor  ($278.24 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG CROSSHAIR VI EXTREME EATX AM4 Motherboard  ($326.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $604.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-07 17:58 EDT-0400

Oh okay I see, Thanks for that info.

I don't only game though. I did put that I do alot of 4k video editing/rendering the more cores would help me.

Also I would be getting the X or K versions since i do like overclocking my stuff.

but I think for now I will stick with what I have and wait for 9th gen Intel chips. I don't pan on switching to AMD rightnow.

Spoiler

-

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

i upgraded from a 2600k, FPS difference is times two in some titles, f.e. csgo, counterstrike, wow... still using the same GPU. 
Not that the FPS in the top right corner matters, but its also much less stuttery overall a much smoother experience... and ive overclocked both..

Soo i dont regret upgrading from a 2600k to a 8700k even if it only would be for gaming, the real gaming experience on my old 2600k was horrible compared to the 8700k. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

The Ice Lake line up seems that will only be here on Q1 2019.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

9 minutes ago, DarkSmith2 said:

i upgraded from a 2600k, FPS difference is times two in some titles, f.e. csgo, counterstrike, wow... still using the same GPU. 
Not that the FPS in the top right corner matters, but its also much less stuttery overall a much smoother experience... and ive overclocked both..

Soo i dont regret upgrading from a 2600k to a 8700k even if it only would be for gaming, the real gaming experience on my old 2600k was horrible compared to the 8700k. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

twice the performance is what I like to hear. and that's mainly for gaming so for other task it should be a good improvement as well.

Thanks for that info.

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

The Ice Lake line up seems that will only be here on Q1 2019.

Is Ice lake the next gen CPU or is it Canon Lake? I'm confused now.

i was thinking Canon lake would be this year and would be their first 10nm chip and 8core.

Spoiler

-

2 minutes ago, DudeWazap said:

Is Ice lake the next gen CPU or is it Canon Lake? I'm confused now.

i was thinking Canon lake would be this year and would be their first 10nm chip and 8core.

Cannon Lake are mobile processors only, for laptops and what not, Intel always releases a much smaller initial line up on the new lithography for final polishing of the process before going all in with mainstream desktop chips, like Broadwell 14nm and Skylake 14nm, pretty much nobody has an i7 5775C but every one had an i7 6700k.

Ice Lake is the first 10nm desktop line up which will feature the i7 9700k that you're thinking with 8 cores, you'll need a z390 motherboard which isn't released yet and the latest news about suggested release date of Q1 2019.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I don't think that's a bad drop. Aslong as it isn't noticeable you know? I'd wait till something Hella crazy comes out in the future like zen 2 or Intel i11 ?. Even though it's just a 4th gen CPU. It's not like it's terrible. If you keep having this mindset, you'll forget that PC gaming is about having fun rather than feeling crap because you're 5 fps below your refresh rate. Try turning off the v-sync and see what kind of performance you're actually getting. But if you're using a 1080ti it will definitely bottleneck it due to its old technology, limited cache and inefficiency compared to say an i5 8600k. We were all impressed by the 7700k and that was everyone's dream processor. But now the i5 8600k basically beats it. Anyways if you really want the biggest and the best, go for it it's your money. But I'd say to wait and enjoy your game rather than be unimpressed from your performance

12 minutes ago, DudeWazap said:

twice the performance is what I like to hear. and that's mainly for gaming so for other task it should be a good improvement as well.

Thanks for that info.

yea well i dont know how fast your 4770k is compared to my old 2600k or my new 8700k, those are things reviewers dont show. "gaming benchmark with reasonable settings for the game". Despite most of them doesnt really show reasonable CPU benchmarks anyway and only showing GPU-Bound games... 

But i can tell you my CSGO FPS have rised from what average 250-270fps with lowest drops to 150fps to 500-700fps with lowest drops to 450fps.

On the csgo Benchmark from the workshops its averaging 500FPS now. 

csgo.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

19 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Cannon Lake are mobile processors only, for laptops and what not, Intel always releases a much smaller initial line up on the new lithography for final polishing of the process before going all in with mainstream desktop chips, like Broadwell 14nm and Skylake 14nm, pretty much nobody has an i7 5775C but every one had an i7 6700k.

Ice Lake is the first 10nm desktop line up which will feature the i7 9700k that you're thinking with 8 cores, you'll need a z390 motherboard which isn't released yet and the latest news about suggested release date of Q1 2019.

Oh okay that makes alot more sense to me now. haha.

well If that's the case then upgrading my monitor this year and then doing a CPU, Motherboard, RAM upgrade next year might be better. Just because, I know for a fact I will be upset that I hae a 6 core CPU and a few months later 8 core CPU's release that have a huge performance gain.

18 minutes ago, halomaster8000 said:

To be fair I only noticed the drop when I had FPS counter on the other day while i was overclocking my GPU and seeing how much ssaa x4 effected my performance.

I don;t like playing with Vsync off since the screen tearing really annoys me alot.

Spoiler

-

6 minutes ago, DudeWazap said:

Oh okay that makes alot more sense to me now. haha.

well If that's the case then upgrading my monitor this year and then doing a CPU, Motherboard, RAM upgrade next year might be better. Just because, I know for a fact I will be upset that I hae a 6 core CPU and a few months later 8 core CPU's release that have a huge performance gain.

To be fair I only noticed the drop when I had FPS counter on the other day while i was overclocking my GPU and seeing how much ssaa x4 effected my performance.

I don;t like playing with Vsync off since the screen tearing really annoys me alot.

Well when the day comes that people will tell you to upgrade. Thats when you should. It will eventually be unable to run certain titles, but don't expect it to do this anytime soon. Even though you might want the newest and coolest. It will only be a waste unless you were to upgrade your monitor.

I mean like turn off the v sync for every games just for a bit so that you can feel better that your games aren't performing like crap. 

1 minute ago, halomaster8000 said:

Well when the day comes that people will tell you to upgrade. Thats when you should. It will eventually be unable to run certain titles, but don't expect it to do this anytime soon. Even though you might want the newest and coolest. It will only be a waste unless you were to upgrade your monitor.

I mean like turn off the v sync for every games just for a bit so that you can feel better that your games aren't performing like crap. 

I'll bite the bullet and turn it off tonight when I play some more Tomb Raider or Overwatch.

Spoiler

-

56 minutes ago, DudeWazap said:

I'll bite the bullet and turn it off tonight when I play some more Tomb Raider or Overwatch.

You can always just enable fast-sync instead of V-sync, but your fps has to stay above your monitor's refresh rate for it to work.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, DudeWazap said:

Well from my own experience, i had crazy screen tearing in almost all games at 60fps at 60Hz. I recently upgraded to a 144Hz 1080p Monitor and i never ever experienced any kind of tearing or ghosting anymore. So instead of upgrading your 4770k right now, i would suggest upgrading your Monitor. It's worth it. 

Main Rig:

CPU: i7 4790k -> Scythe Mugen 5 (Dual Arctic P12)

MoBo: Asus Z97 Pro Gamer

RAM: 32GB DDR3 1866MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Gaming -> Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo ii

PSU: Bequiet Pure Power 10 700W

Case: Bequiet Pure Base 600 

Mobile Gaming 1: (XMG Fusion 15)

CPU: i7 9750H

RAM: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz

GPU: RTX 2070 MAX-Q

Mobile Gaming 2: (XMG P502 Pro)

CPU: i7 3740QM 

RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz