planing to establish a LOCAL SMALL ISP! need suggestions

Go to solution Solved by andre001,

its gonna be similar to this one . 

note- pic only for reference . not the actual set up 

2.PNG

3 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

If you are in an area with one of the big Cable ISP's... then be prepared to be buried in litigation. These companies spend millions of dollars a year blocking small startup and municipal ISP's.

So unless you have already got all your paperwork filed, bandwidth and leasing agreements all lined out... chances are you are about to be in for one heck of a battle. If Comcast is the local Cable Co. then you are going to have an even harder time moving this forward.

then I'm good. Cause I'm not in USA. 

1 minute ago, camohiddendj said:

It'll be easier to do WISP, and if done right you can easily provide low-latency, high-speed connections that are about as good as wired.

Have you tried the ATT version of this? It is terrible. Even the City setup for this in my area has a lot to be desired.

I have a pretty decent wifi setup with a few high gain antenna's that can reach about 1.5 blocks from my house provided you have a good antenna on the other end too. That being said depending on what you are using for this setup and the technology you plan to use for broadcasting... there are some pretty firm FCC regulations in place that limit the power and range of these setups.

1 hour ago, andre001 said:

5.My service is gonna be cheaper than other ISP's in my area cause their packs are fucking expensive. its like 10USD per mbps . ( on shared connection)

Had me thinking you were in the USA. My bad.

4 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Had me thinking you were in the USA. My bad.

np

Are you in a local or rural area?

Could you for example: Place an antenna on the top of the building being serviced, router, and run cable from there to the tenant.  
Note, in this case, you want to restrict the bandwidth to a number of legitimate users.  You would not one user creating a sub IP and using all your bandwidth.

1 minute ago, MikeSK said:

Are you in a local or rural area?

Could you for example: Place an antenna on the top of the building being serviced, router, and run cable from there to the tenant.  
Note, in this case, you want to restrict the bandwidth to a number of legitimate users.  You would not one user creating a sub IP and using all your bandwidth.

its local. And the antena is gonna be in my residential building. which is Ten-Storeyed . I'm on the 4th floor . :'(  .

40 minutes ago, andre001 said:

i did and my original plan was to setup a WISP but there are still some people who prefer wired connection . And if i need to attract customers then at first i gotta give them some extra bonus features and thats why I need to build my own server .

A WISP would be the best play here. With wired it comes down the population density for it to make sense. For example most cable co at least in the US want about 100-300 people per node, each node connects back to the cable co with Fiber. This allows them to over sell there network, making it more profitable. Fiber to the home is a pain and can be expensive in its own right. Also, with a wired network it takes time to plan out and do property. A WISP is about setting up towers and providing customers with transmitters/receivers. 

If you end up doing the wired route, I suggest you do a lot of research, and invest in something that will last. With the newer Docsis standards, it seems like Cable Co's will be good for some time. And Fiber is always good. Also, if you do the wired route, are you going to build out the network yourself or hire a contractor? 

39 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

If you are in an area with one of the big Cable ISP's... then be prepared to be buried in litigation. These companies spend millions of dollars a year blocking small startup and municipal ISP's.

So unless you have already got all your paperwork filed, bandwidth and leasing agreements all lined out... chances are you are about to be in for one heck of a battle. If Comcast is the local Cable Co. then you are going to have an even harder time moving this forward.

Hes not in the US. So no Comcast to bend him over. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

16 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

A WISP would be the best play here. With wired it comes down the population density for it to make sense. For example most cable co at least in the US want about 100-300 people per node, each node connects back to the cable co with Fiber. This allows them to over sell there network, making it more profitable. Fiber to the home is a pain and can be expensive in its own right. Also, with a wired network it takes time to plan out and do property. A WISP is about setting up towers and providing customers with transmitters/receivers. 

If you end up doing the wired route, I suggest you do a lot of research, and invest in something that will last. With the newer Docsis standards, it seems like Cable Co's will be good for some time. And Fiber is always good. Also, if you do the wired route, are you going to build out the network yourself or hire a contractor? 

Hes not in the US. So no Comcast to bend him over. 

I've practically never had a good experience from a Wisp. On top of that unless he has multiple wired connection points each client and wireless point he adds if just carrying the wireless signal are going to further reduce the speed. Now if he is able to have a wired point in every building for example that he wants to serve, then it wouldn't be too bad... However if he has 30 people connecting to say 8-10 repeater type setups... then the whole network is going to come down to a crawl. Even with a nice Mimu setup that will still get overloaded pretty quickly.

Then you will need to worry about signal penetration which on 2.4ghz isn't going to be very good with all the other interference and noise. If he is going to use 5ghz then the signal range is going to be even more limited. If he is wanting to use a range similar to cell technology then he will have to deal with all of the regulations regulating those technologies and also trying to purchase or rent a range for his own personal use.

Outside of making a huge investment to get an infrastructure setup he isn't going to have many options. With the amount of people we are talking though he wouldn't break even for a very long time.

I guess you could basically turn a large area into a big mesh network to avoid some of these issues, but the cost for that would be high. Then if you tried to scale it over a large area the price to make that happen would increase exponentially without some sort of wired backbone. Then you need to worry about DHCP services, security, and setting up subnets etc. You don't want this to basically be some massive wireless lan network. You will need a way to keep your clients isolated from each other. This could be as simple as just given them a modem (or way to access your wireless network) and forcing them to plug that in to a router with firewall protection enabled.

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I've practically never had a good experience from a Wisp. On top of that unless he has multiple wired connection points each client and wireless point he adds if just carrying the wireless signal are going to further reduce the speed. Now if he is able to have a wired point in every building for example that he wants to serve, then it wouldn't be too bad... However if he has 30 people connecting to say 8-10 repeater type setups... then the whole network is going to come down to a crawl. Even with a nice Mimu setup that will still get overloaded pretty quickly.

Then you will need to worry about signal penetration which on 2.4ghz isn't going to be very good with all the other interference and noise. If he is going to use 5ghz then the signal range is going to be even more limited. If he is wanting to use a range similar to cell technology then he will have to deal with all of the regulations regulating those technologies and also trying to purchase or rent a range for his own personal use.

Outside of making a huge investment to get an infrastructure setup he isn't going to have many options. With the amount of people we are talking though he wouldn't break even for a very long time.

I guess you could basically turn a large area into a big mesh network to avoid some of these issues, but the cost for that would be high. Then if you tried to scale it over a large area the price to make that happen would increase exponentially without some sort of wired backbone. Then you need to worry about DHCP services, security, and setting up subnets etc. You don't want this to basically be some massive wireless lan network. You will need a way to keep your clients isolated from each other. This could be as simple as just given them a modem (or way to access your wireless network) and forcing them to plug that in to a router with firewall protection enabled.

There are other bands. Depending on his country he might easily have access to other bands. Not to mention he could use multiple transmitters on one tower to do site to site wireless with something like the Air Fiber line of products. The Air fiber products us 5 Ghz and can work up to 25Km. So range aint no issue. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

There are other bands. Depending on his country he might easily have access to other bands. Not to mention he could use multiple transmitters on one tower to do site to site wireless with something like the Air Fiber line of products. The Air fiber products us 5 Ghz and can work up to 25Km. So range aint no issue. 

But in this situation price would become and issue.  I see him mentioning spending around 1200-1400 USD, i assume he can do more if needed, but the hardware you are mentioning is going to get expensive quick.

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

But in this situation price would become and issue.  I see him mentioning spending around 1200-1400 USD, i assume he can do more if needed, but the hardware you are mentioning is going to get expensive quick.

He is in another country. You cant judge what he can get based on US pricing. Plus the OP could have another vendor that has similar products for cheaper, who knows. 

its gonna be similar to this one . 

note- pic only for reference . not the actual set up 

2.PNG

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

yap. for now i'll focus on WISP . but if someone asks for cable then i'll provide him but he'll have pay for the cable. but only if he is near the switch or AP otherwise forget it. 

4 hours ago, andre001 said:

its local. And the antena is gonna be in my residential building. which is Ten-Storeyed . I'm on the 4th floor . :'(  .

Please tell me you've got permission to put the Antenna on the roof.... please don't tell me that you're sticking it out your window on the 4th floor...

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

i may turn it into a mesh network but only if my project is a success . but its gonna be a pain in the ass . the cost will only rise . so for that i may need some investors . only then it can be a success. but the problem is how am i supposed to assign them different user names and password ?

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Please tell me you've got permission to put the Antenna on the roof.... please don't tell me that you're sticking it out your window on the 4th floor...

hell no. the owner is a relative so thats not a problem . :P