planing to establish a LOCAL SMALL ISP! need suggestions

Go to solution Solved by andre001,

its gonna be similar to this one . 

note- pic only for reference . not the actual set up 

2.PNG

Hi there ! first of all I would like to clear somethings : (I'm NOT IN USA . I'm from Bangladesh which is located in Asia)

1. I have the money to invest

2. have some experience in this field

3. The ISP's in my neighbor is shit .

4.My client number target is avg ( like 15-20+)

5.My service is gonna be cheaper than other ISP's in my area cause their packs are fucking expensive. its like 10USD per mbps . ( on shared connection)

6. Its gonna be mainly based on WIFI and on ethernet . gonna include services like local plex,ftp,tv etc

7.I want my hardware to be cheaper don't want anything fancy .

8. planing to use custom build router based on pfsense ( is it possible ? )

9. please dont make unnecessary comments . cause this is the only solution to get internet connection on a cheaper rate . people in my area has to pay a lot for internet connection you should know that in major cities people have to pay  .90 USD  per mbps

10. I may have some experience in this field but thats not enough. and i know that pretty clear . but at least i know more than my Local ISP's :P 

11. I may have some investors ! (but still thats a possibility ) 

12. Please lend me your knowledge ! suggest me about the hardware and software that i should use  .

UPDATE 1 : 

well for the moment i was thinking of combining several connections from several local ISP's . or buy pure small amount of bandwidth . its the cheaper way to start. after sometime i'll move to a re-seller . 

to buy from the re-seller i must buy a huge amount of bandwidth which is too much for me at the moment . 

if i buy from the local ISP's ( some one who is willing to sell at a discount ) . its like 3.6USD per mbps.

UPDATE 2 :

its not in the US. Where i'm from I dont need to spend a lot much . i need to spend at least 1200-1400+ USD . In my country thats kind of enough for my target. but if my client number increases and i want to expand my service then ican  spend more. i can afford that . And getting a permits won't be a problem . And in our county people dont give a shit about copy right contents . :P

UPDATE 3 :

This post is for  hardware and software recommendations ( to keep the cost as low as possible). I'll figure out the cost for the bandwidth with the reseller . 

14 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

What back haul connection are you going to use? What is the rate/cost of it?

well for the moment i was thinking of combining several connections from several local ISP's . or buy pure small amount of bandwidth . its the cheaper way to start. after sometime i'll move to a re-seller . 

to buy from the re-seller i must buy a huge amount of bandwidth which is too much for me at the moment . 

if i buy from the local ISP's ( some one who is willing to sell at a discount ) . its like 3.6USD per mbps.

Which existing ISP are you planning to work out wholesale leasing rates with, or do you have $30,000-$80,000 to get the CMTS equipment setup in the local neighborhood along with about $200,000 if you're planning to run fibre lines to a data centre around 30km from you, assuming one is available that you can lease a line from. And that's just for the cabling and labour, not to mention the permits you'll need and bylaws you might need to pay off local politicians to get around.

I'm not knowledgeable on ISP stuff, but I do know if you plan on professionally rolling out cable lines you'll need one of these bad boys to the tune of around $60,000 in addition to the modems you'd need to customer's homes.

http://www.arris.com/products/e6000-converged-edge-router/

Alternatively, you could instead do what Marz Media does and be a WISP instead of dealing with the headache of running infrastructure. You'll still need a wireless provider or landline provider who is willing to let you re-sell your own connection though.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

17 minutes ago, andre001 said:

local plex

this gonna be a pain unless you have the rights to all the content. You can't just share your server that has ripped dvd's

For the backline your best option is finding someone like level 3 with a fibe line you can plug into.

Also do you know how much of a pin trenches can be. Where will you put your wires? Can you put thins on the poles(can be owned by the local isp. Permits are a pain for construction.

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

Which existing ISP are you planning to work out wholesale leasing rates with, or do you have $30,000-$80,000 to get the CMTS equipment setup in the local neighborhood along with about $200,000 if you're planning to run fibre lines to a data centre around 30km from you, assuming one is available that you can lease a line from. And that's just for the cabling and labour, not to mention the permits you'll need and bylaws you might need to pay off local politicians to get around.

I'm not knowledgeable on ISP stuff, but I do know if you plan on professionally rolling out cable lines you'll need one of these bad boys to the tune of around $60,000 in addition to the modems you'd need to customer's homes.

http://www.arris.com/products/e6000-converged-edge-router/

Alternatively, you could instead do what Marz Media does and be a WISP instead of dealing with the headache of running infrastructure. You'll still need a wireless provider or landline provider who is willing to let you re-sell your own connection though.

bro its not in the US. Where i'm from I dont need to spend that much . i need to spend at least 1200-1400+ USD . In my country thats kind of enough for my target. but if my client number increases and i want to expand my service then i need to spend more.

26 minutes ago, andre001 said:

people in my area has to pay a lot for internet connection you should know that in major cities people have to pay  .90 USD  per mbps

the reason it's so expensive that nobody wants to spend hundreds of thousands providing infrastructure for 6 pepole.Unless you literally have bucketfuls of money just don't

My life

1 minute ago, andre001 said:

my country

which one is it

My life

9 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

... I probably should not post here...

hahahahaha.jpg.6dfc6e64ea3ab5e478cd1928f4e595cd.jpg

i know its kind of stupid thing to do but some ones gotta do it. 

Okay. So you need to figure out how you can turn this expensive cost internet into "cheap"?

What is the maths. This is before we get any hardware. 15 people use netflix at the same time. That is 45mbps at the minimum if each stream is 3mbps. So you are going to need at least a fibre (mine is capped in the UK to 40mbps on my ISP/price). 

That can be done. What is the price of a fibre connection, is one close to you? What is the price you wish to sell at for 3mbps internet speed?

7 minutes ago, Himommies said:

the reason it's so expensive that nobody wants to spend hundreds of thousands providing infrastructure for 6 pepole.Unless you literally have bucketfuls of money just don't

well some one have to do something. All the hardwares gonna cost around 1000 USD (gonna try to keep the cost as low as possible ) and  if i'm successful then gonna spend more . or BYE BYE . . 

Well, you gotta figure out the cost of the connection (and the availability) before anything else. Look at the Tier 2 ISPs, and Tier 3s that will sell large bandwidth to you and allow resale. 

Then, estimate the bandiwidth you will need to satisfy your consumer base, and compare the costs between your options. If any of them are feasible, then continue your research. don't waste your time figuring this all out if it'll be too expensive or not even possible.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

4 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Okay. So you need to figure out how you can turn this expensive cost internet into "cheap"?

What is the maths. This is before we get any hardware. 15 people use netflix at the same time. That is 45mbps at the minimum if each stream is 3mbps. So you are going to need at least a fibre (mine is capped in the UK to 40mbps on my ISP/price). 

That can be done. What is the price of a fibre connection, is one close to you? What is the price you wish to sell at for 3mbps internet speed?

1. I can keep the cost low with the hardwire 

2. (on shared) 3mbps around  11-15 USD . but if i switch to a bandwidth re seller than I can decrease the cost . 

3. plex is gonna be a pain in the ass. but i can compress all the contents but i'll recommend everyone to use FTP to download the content . 

4 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

Well, you gotta figure out the cost of the connection (and the availability) before anything else. Look at the Tier 2 ISPs, and Tier 3s that will sell large bandwidth to you and allow resale. 

Then, estimate the bandiwidth you will need to satisfy your consumer base, and compare the costs between your options. If any of them are feasible, then continue your research. don't waste your time figuring this all out if it'll be too expensive or not even possible.

yap. thats what i'm doing right now. But this post is mainly for the hardware and the software. 

1 minute ago, andre001 said:

yap. thats what i'm doing right now. But this post is mainly for the hardware and the software. 

Well looking at your post, it is probably going to cost WAY more in time and money to try and pool a bunch of cheap connections together and try to load balance and re-send them out to your nodes. That hardware (but mostly just software and configuration of it) will be ridiculous. Just a couple modems and switches and simple software won't cut it for that.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

What kind of connections are you planning on offering? WISP, LTE, Cable, DSL, etc. Also, have you looked in to both local and federal regulations? I know you said permits are not a problem, but wireless connection especially are generally more regulated as wireless bands are regulated for use, doesnt matter what country your in. 

But figuring out how your going to connect people to the network is a big part. For instance is WISP is probably easier and cheaper to setup than Fiber or any other wired broadband for that matter. This will also get you an idea of what equipment you need to look at and after figuring out where your going to lease bandwidth from, you can come up with a price. How many people are you planning on serving? How are you going to handle customer service? I just ask this because Im a business major, and you need to think about the whole business before buying stuff. Do you have a business plan? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Working on starting a local WISP in my area. Have all the tower equipment waiting to go up and everything.  What I did was purchase a Virtual private LAN to the closest datacenter w/ co-location and good peering.  The routers live there, and just purchase some IP space and you're good to go.

Most of this is provided by Level3 (basically everything but server co-location) since their HQ is the closest major provider to my location.

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

What kind of connections are you planning on offering? WISP, LTE, Cable, DSL, etc. Also, have you looked in to both local and federal regulations? I know you said permits are not a problem, but wireless connection especially are generally more regulated as wireless bands are regulated for use, doesnt matter what country your in. 

But figuring out how your going to connect people to the network is a big part. For instance is WISP is probably easier and cheaper to setup than Fiber or any other wired broadband for that matter. This will also get you an idea of what equipment you need to look at and after figuring out where your going to lease bandwidth from, you can come up with a price. How many people are you planning on serving? How are you going to handle customer service? I just ask this because Im a business major, and you need to think about the whole business before buying stuff. Do you have a business plan? 

i already planed it . my customer number is gonna be 15-20+ at the start(don't wanna spend much at first.thats why gonna keep a low profile) . its gonna be wireless(wifi router with powerful antena)  and cable( ethernet cable ). gonna provide connection on a shared network . to handle customers I was thinking of using FACEBOOK . If they have any problem/ any question they can just send a audio after recording it or just text me. or they can directly dial my cellphone. Note: i know its a pain in the ass to handle the customers . specially if there is any technical problem because they dont understand a shit . :P

24 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Wireless is Easy.  Ubiquiti (and other WISP HW OEMs) make tons of unlicensed freq gear.  I've seen a WISP operate on 2.4g for a service area of about 80 sq mi

5 minutes ago, andre001 said:

i already planed it . my customer number is gonna be 15-20+ at the start(don't wanna spend much at first.thats why gonna keep a low profile) . its gonna be wireless(wifi router with powerful antena)  and cable( ethernet cable ). gonna provide connection on a shared network . to handle customers I was thinking of using FACEBOOK . If they have any problem/ any question they can just send a audio after recording it or just text me. or they can directly dial my cellphone. Note: i know its a pain in the ass to handle the customers . specially if there is any technical problem because they dont understand a shit . :P

Look into Ubiquiti gear...  Going to be about your best pricing for your tower and your CPE gear.  Much better than using off the shelf consumer gear not made for this kind of work 

My current plan is for 3 towers (ski resort community, hard to cover location due to mountains) each with 3 PrismStation ACs.  On the CPE side, A RocketDish AC for WAN connection, and an AirCube on the LAN side.

Thank god UBNT recently released UNMS to allow easier remote management, especially on the CPE side of things to help with customer support.

Just now, camohiddendj said:

Look into Ubiquiti gear...  Going to be about your best pricing for your tower and your CPE gear.  Much better than using off the shelf consumer gear not made for this kind of work 

i did and my original plan was to setup a WISP but there are still some people who prefer wired connection . And if i need to attract customers then at first i gotta give them some extra bonus features and thats why I need to build my own server .

If you are in an area with one of the big Cable ISP's... then be prepared to be buried in litigation. These companies spend millions of dollars a year blocking small startup and municipal ISP's.

So unless you have already got all your paperwork filed, bandwidth and leasing agreements all lined out... chances are you are about to be in for one heck of a battle. If Comcast is the local Cable Co. then you are going to have an even harder time moving this forward.

2 minutes ago, andre001 said:

i did and my original plan was to setup a WISP but there are still some people who prefer wired connection . And if i need to attract customers then at first i gotta give them some extra bonus features and thats why I need to build my own server .

It'll be easier to do WISP, and if done right you can easily provide low-latency, high-speed connections that are about as good as wired.