PSU buying

JakubR8

On ebay there is someone selling some RM 850Xs cheap, they have been used for mining from 2019 to 2021 at under 75% load apparently. Would it be ok to buy them? or would it be a terrible idea. 

Kinda depends on their overall condition and if you can figure out what environment they were run in.

PSUs under a constant sustained load generally don’t see much actual wear, they keep themselves cool and if they were working within their rated capacity there’s little concern there. 
However if they’re dusty, show signs of mishandling like dents, large scrapes, or especially corrosion, avoid them.

A lot of small DIY mining operations took place in like, people’s basements, garages, etc. And there’s a lot of hardware out there that saw no humidity control. That’s the number one concern with post mining hardware. Otherwise the stuff keeps itself from dying, but corrosion is a death sentence for any computer parts.

9 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Kinda depends on their overall condition and if you can figure out what environment they were run in.

PSUs under a constant sustained load generally don’t see much actual wear, they keep themselves cool and if they were working within their rated capacity there’s little concern there. 
However if they’re dusty, show signs of mishandling like dents, large scrapes, or especially corrosion, avoid them.

A lot of small DIY mining operations took place in like, people’s basements, garages, etc. And there’s a lot of hardware out there that saw no humidity control. That’s the number one concern with post mining hardware. Otherwise the stuff keeps itself from dying, but corrosion is a death sentence for any computer parts.

thats great thankyou! they all seem fine to me and relatively clean, they come with all the cables and hes only chargin £49.99 which is like £80 under what they are usually sold for new.

I wouldn't personally, if you're buying gear that uses that much power it needs a 850 watt PSU it is probably worth A LOT more than the £50 used PSU, so I don't see the logic in taking the risk there.

That said, if you're using old vintage hardware for a second PC or a gaming rig for the kids full of spare parts, then I guess it can make sense. 

5 minutes ago, JakubR8 said:

thats great thankyou! they all seem fine to me and relatively clean, they come with all the cables and hes only chargin £49.99 which is like £80 under what they are usually sold for new.

i'd say that's worth the gamble

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

1. Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050
  2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050
  3. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Just now, Tetras said:

I wouldn't personally, if you're buying gear that uses that much power it needs a 850 watt PSU it is probably worth A LOT more than the £50 used PSU, so I don't see the logic in taking the risk there.

That said, if you're using old vintage hardware for a second PC or a gaming rig for the kids full of spare parts, then I guess it can make sense. 

depends on what hardware I guess then, but high end build kind of purchase wouldn't be scouting for sechond-hand PSU, or...

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

PCs I used before:

2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

5 minutes ago, JakubR8 said:

which is like £80 under what they are usually sold for new.

So 130 pounds new. You can buy a decent ATX3.0 PSU for 100. In my opinion a second hand Corsair isn't worth it.

I'd actually say this is a terrible idea, you're talking about PSUs that were being used during a mining boom, at full blast, all day, every day for couple years time. This is not a good idea and definitely not worth saving $40 for. Get a new PSU.

5 minutes ago, Tetras said:

what about a 4080s with ryzen 7 7800x3d? do i need a 850W most places are saying 750W will be plenty

1 minute ago, JakubR8 said:

what about a 4080s with ryzen 7 7800x3d? do i need a 850W most places are saying 750W will be plenty

I would never in a million years use a £50 ex-mining PSU for that PC. In terms of wattage: I'd just get 850 or higher, the price difference is normally very small between 750 and 850 and having the headroom just makes sense when you're spending so much on parts.

1 minute ago, Tetras said:

I would never in a million years use a £50 ex-mining PSU for that PC. In terms of wattage: I'd just get 850 or higher, the price difference is normally very small between 750 and 850 and having the headroom just makes sense when you're spending so much on parts.

thats fair enough

4 minutes ago, JakubR8 said:

it's a bit expensive PC to run on a second-hand PSU don't you think? not that it's terrible, I know someone who would tell you it's completely fine,

@Somerandomtechyboi, but he's offline

current PC:

PCs I used before:

Just now, podkall said:

it's a bit expensive PC to run on a second-hand PSU don't you think? not that it's terrible, I know someone who would tell you it's completely fine,

@Somerandomtechyboi, but he's offline

yeah i guess, ive used second hand parts for ages and never ever had any problems.

Just now, JakubR8 said:

yeah i guess, ive used second hand parts for ages and never ever had any problems.

lucky you, but so far similar story, though I only bought one thing

just get like a 850W A-GL from MSI or something, it's less than 100$

Gigabyte UD850GM

MSI A750GL

Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 V2

if your country/area doesn't have problem with outages or powers you might even get away with C tier PSU

be quiet! System power 10 850W

MSI MAG A750BN

in theory 4080 Super would spike max 640W + ~100 with CPU, but it probably doesn't spike to double it's power draw.

current PC:

PCs I used before:

5 minutes ago, podkall said:

lucky you, but so far similar story, though I only bought one thing

just get like a 850W A-GL from MSI or something, it's less than 100$

Gigabyte UD850GM

MSI A750GL

Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 V2

if your country/area doesn't have problem with outages or powers you might even get away with C tier PSU

be quiet! System power 10 850W

MSI MAG A750BN

in theory 4080 Super would spike max 640W + ~100 with CPU, but it probably doesn't spike to double it's power draw.

what about the Corsair RMe Series? theres one on sale right now 

1 minute ago, JakubR8 said:

850w for 110? Thermaltake GF3 850w is a better unit for 100.

Just now, --SID-- said:

theres got a factory refurb one for 69.99 in the uk

8 minutes ago, JakubR8 said:

theres got a factory refurb one for 69.99 in the uk

Factory refurb is a joke. For Corsair it's not worth to repair the PSU and high pot test it and seal it again. Replacing the unit is cheaper. Don't buy this scam. Is the warranty the same 7 years like a new unit?

15 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Factory refurb is a joke. For Corsair it's not worth to repair the PSU and high pot test it and seal it again. Replacing the unit is cheaper. Don't buy this scam. Is the warranty the same 7 years like a new unit?

its from a reputable company 🙂

18 minutes ago, JakubR8 said:

its from a reputable company 🙂

Doesn't matter. factory referbs are a joke.

What about the warranty?

3 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Doesn't matter. factory referbs are a joke.

What about the warranty?

the warrenty just says standard corsair warrenty ? 

1 hour ago, JakubR8 said:

Seems like a decent choice if you weighed the risks.

I personally run a lot of questionable used psus, I have an HX850i from 2014 I got on eBay for $40, old high end is still pretty high end, it works fine. 
Just know what you’re looking at and if the chance of issues is worth the discounted price.

21 minutes ago, JakubR8 said:

the warrenty just says standard corsair warrenty ? 

Corsair warranty for refurbished products is 90 days! 1 year in the UK and EU. So you have a 1 year warranty instead of 7 years. Not worth the 30 pounds difference of a new Thermaltake GF3.

1 hour ago, JakubR8 said:

ye those are good too, but I guess not refurbished

current PC:

PCs I used before:

10 hours ago, --SID-- said:

well theres atleast something we can agree on =p

if you wanna waste your money on corsair do it right and get an rm or rmx with a 10 year warranty, rme is a 7 year warranty with a loud fan and a high price so quite the joke for the most part unless its the cheapest thing available

11 hours ago, JakubR8 said:

On ebay there is someone selling some RM 850Xs cheap, they have been used for mining from 2019 to 2021 at under 75% load apparently. Would it be ok to buy them? or would it be a terrible idea. 

for 50£ its about what youd expect these used units to be worth, and foe 50£ its miles better than whatever new garbage youd get at that price

but if you actually need an 850w for a high end build you probably have the money to buy a new one, double the price but theyre new and you can usually find ones with 10 year warranties aka the only ones worth buying new

if you are doing a budget build that only allows for a 50£ psu its definitely worth it as you can carry it over to new build or when upgrading parts compared to some shitty 600w bronze with no warranty and not enough wattage for anything above a 6700xt/3070 class card

tldr doesnt make sense on a high end build but does make sense for a budget build or a used budget build