Whats the difference? 120 Mbit/s Fiber vs 120 Mbit/s Cable

Kamunkin

I wish to have internet at my future place and can't really find my answer. 
Ebox offers me 120 Mbit/s with cable (for 69,95$/m (Quebec, canada) and free installation) or Videotron offers 120 Mbit/s with optical fiber (for 80,95$/m and 60$ installation). Is there really a difference in speed because the 2 have a limit of 120 Mbit/s? and what justify the price?
We download a lot and stream a lot of high quality content on Plex. A bit of insight could be much appreciated, thank you :) 

Too lazy to look it up and don't quote me on this, but I think the price difference might have something to do with the wiring that's being used. Cable is copper and the other one is glass, which transmit data through light.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

How does the upload speed compare between the two?

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

For fiber they usually have to make a run to your home still whereas with cable it's almost certainly there already so there is less work on their part.

If they both offer the same upload and download and you play really competitive e-sports titles then go with fiber for a bit less latency. Otherwise if they give you the same and 3 to 5 extra ms won't make a difference, go with whatever is cheaper.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

At most the fiber may have lower pings among its hops depending how they manage the traffic.

I have 100Mbits cable and its pings are around 60ms or 80ms depending on the number of hops (note: this in a 1987 townhouse, so the copper probably not the best).  Never had fiber, so I have no clue civi side how its ping rate is.  I know military side when I work with it, its ping rates are nice and low.  Also, keep in mind, depending on how the fiber is done, it is either fiber up to the box for the neighborhood area or in some areas fiber up to the house wall.  Unless you got a motherboard, router, and modem with fiber connections, the connection goes back to copper lines.

Best thing is look into the upload speeds, fiber tends to win out there since a TX and RX line is ran as a pair unlike cable where TX and RX are sharing the same cable.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I think the fibre would have higher upload rates but even if it doesn't the routing might make it a little more responsive in terms of latency and all.

50 minutes ago, Kamunkin said:

I wish to have internet at my future place and can't really find my answer. 
Ebox offers me 120 Mbit/s with cable (for 69,95$/m (Quebec, canada) and free installation) or Videotron offers 120 Mbit/s with optical fiber (for 80,95$/m and 60$ installation). Is there really a difference in speed because the 2 have a limit of 120 Mbit/s? and what justify the price?
We download a lot and stream a lot of high quality content on Plex. A bit of insight could be much appreciated, thank you :) 

Ask Videotron if it's fibre to the node or fibre to the home. There won't be a difference in speed, assuming that you actually get the speeds advertised, however, if it's fibre to the home then that's probably why it costs more. That being said, unless you live in a really densely populated area where fibre already runs down your street, it'll be fibre to the node then copper to the home.

coax-fibre.PNG.bef32b1e08d83ab6f68cb7cfc34cf504.PNG

EDIT: According to Videotron's site, it's hybrid fibre coax, which means NOT fibre to the home. Again, if you're going to get 120/20mbps unlimited with both providers, and run your own router with the ISP modem bridged (as you should be for best results) then I'd go with the cheaper option in the long run.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)