Should I reinstall windows on new ssd?

coolcommando54

Just bought an m.2 240gb ssd and I was wondering, is it easiest I just reinstall windows on that and use it as my boot drive? I have windows 10 on one of my hard drives already and I don't want anything that'll clutter the space on it. Thanks!

Using it as the boot drive is a must. Just remember to partition it so you dont allocate all 240 gigs to C drive.

Just now, Ross Scarlet said:

Using it as the boot drive is a must. 

Yeah, just so many places have said you should clone it but I'm wondering if I should really bother. 

Just now, coolcommando54 said:

Yeah, just so many places have said you should clone it but I'm wondering if I should really bother. 

It's best to start clean, cloning doesn't always end well.

1 minute ago, Ross Scarlet said:

It's best to start clean, cloning doesn't always end well.

Cool thanks. And should I remove windows on my hdd? Will that cause me problems?

Just now, coolcommando54 said:

Cool thanks. And should I remove windows on my hdd? Will that cause me problems?

You can safely remove it. There are no ties to that installation once you install one on the SSD.

1 minute ago, Ross Scarlet said:

You can safely remove it. There are no ties to that installation once you install one on the SSD.

Thanks for the quick replies

2 minutes ago, coolcommando54 said:

I've had issues in the past where files from the old Windows install are still tied to the old user, and therefore it will say something along the lines of "you do not have permission to delete these files" when you try to delete them on the new install. 

This was on Windows 7, not sure if 10 will give you similar issues.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020