Boeing reportedly hit by by Wannacry [Boeing Claims otherwise]

Boeing Response:

Twitter Text:

@BoeingAirplanes

Statement: A number of articles on a malware disruption are overstated and inaccurate. Our cybersecurity operations center detected a limited intrusion of malware that affected a small number of systems. Remediations were applied and this is not a production or delivery issue.

~~~~

ORIGINAL POST:

It seems that even though patches were pushed out immediately for Wannacry it looks like Boeing (NYSE:BA) has been hit with the ransomware on critical systems.

~~~~

From TechCrunch:

Boeing has reportedly been struck in a major way by Wannacry, the ransomware that spread like wildfire last year. The Seattle Times obtained a memo from Mike VanderWel, of the company’s commercial airliner division, describing the malware as “metastasizing rapidly.”

Wannacry, you may remember, spread using a Windows exploit leaked from NSA files, demanded a modest sum in bitcoin to decrypt the victim’s files, and was stopped in dramatic fashion by a single person. Investigators confidently but, as with most attacks like this, circumstantially attributed the attacks to North Korea.

VanderWel’s memo says that the infection appears to have started in North Charleston, and for all we know is still spreading: “I just heard 777 (automated spar assembly tools) may have gone down,” he writes, and “airplane software,” whatever that term really means inside a company that makes airplanes, could be next.

Although the attacks may have originated in North Korea and Boeing is of course a major defense contractor, it would be premature to connect those dots at this moment. Wannacry was far from a targeted strike; it was “indiscriminately reckless,” as one U.S. official rather redundantly put it, spreading geometrically and affecting soft targets like hospitals as well as individuals.
Wannacry’s initial flare-up may have been tamped down with the “kill switch” and subsequent patches addressing the exploit, but clearly it was not eliminated altogether — though this may very well be a mutation or modified version of the original software.

This story is developing. We’ve contacted Boeing for more information and have been told to expect it momentarily, so check back soon.

~~~~

Opinion:

Its interesting to see that such a large and critical portion of Boeings manufacturing process was hit even though patches have been available for nearly 9 months. I would have thought that something of this importance would have been airgapped or stripped to the absolute bare minimum requirements for usage in order to mitigate any threats like Wannacry that could occur. With Boeing being  a major defense contractor it will be interesting to see how this plays out in the near future with current and upcoming contracts.

~~~~

Main Source: https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/boeing-hit-by-wannacry-virus-fears-it-could-cripple-some-jet-production/

Non paywall Source: https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/28/boeing-reportedly-hit-by-wannacry-ransomware/

Well since I'm a Bombardier/Airbus supporter :)

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.