Can't find CMD only Powershell...

benga

It's so annoying, I shift right click on folders and stuff and the only option I get is for Powershell. I'll hit File on the top left of the window and it'll give me the Powershell option instead of CMD prompt. I can't figure out how to switch paths from C: drive to D: drive either. Can someone explain to me how I can switch all this powershell back to cmd prompt? and also how I switch paths to my D: drive

1 minute ago, benga said:

It's so annoying, I shift right click on folders and stuff and the only option I get is for Powershell. I'll hit File on the top left of the window and it'll give me the Powershell option instead of CMD prompt. I can't figure out how to switch paths from C: drive to D: drive either. Can someone explain to me how I can switch all this powershell back to cmd prompt? and also how I switch paths to my D: drive

powershell is better than CMD imho.

also for switching drives use cd /d [Your Directory]

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

You can switch to your D drive by typing "D:" and hitting enter.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

EDIT: nvm realized it's Windows 7

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

You can use CMD commands in powershell so it shouldn't matter...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

powershell is better than CMD imho.

also for switching drives use cd /d [Your Directory]

It may well be but for some reason the task im trying to execute won't work in powershell :(

6 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

You can switch to your D drive by typing "D:" and hitting enter.

I got nothing to hide buddy, call me retarded lol xD

5 minutes ago, 2FA said:

aa9299811b.png

This only replaces it when you press Win + X :(
But knowing how to redirect helped so that's good

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

for some reason the task im trying to execute won't work in powershell :(

13 minutes ago, benga said:

It may well be but for some reason the task im trying to execute won't work in powershell :(

I got nothing to hide buddy, call me retarded lol xD

This only replaces it when you press Win + X :(
But knowing how to redirect helped so that's good

for some reason the task im trying to execute won't work in powershell :(

have you tried opening cmd as usual and then cd to that directory?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

26 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

have you tried opening cmd as usual and then cd to that directory?

Yea that worked

15 hours ago, samcool55 said:

This is plain and simply wrong. PowerShell and CMD can and does vastly different things when fed the same commands.

You can however open CMD from PowerShell by typing "cmd" and hitting enter to use CMD within PowerShell within the same directory as PowerShell has loaded, else "start cmd" to start a command prompt.

21 minutes ago, erniuss said:

This is plain and simply wrong. PowerShell and CMD can and does vastly different things when fed the same commands.

You can however open CMD from PowerShell by typing "cmd" and hitting enter to use CMD within PowerShell within the same directory as PowerShell has loaded, else "start cmd" to start a command prompt.

Well i don't know many CMD commands but they do exactly the same in  powershell so i dunno...

Which commands act differently then? 

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

11 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Well i don't know many CMD commands but they do exactly the same in  powershell so i dunno...

Which commands act differently then? 

How can you be so sure if you don't know many CMD commands?
I can't come up with an example off the top of my head but I have definitively ran into that issue myself so I can personally attest to it.

37 minutes ago, erniuss said:

How can you be so sure if you don't know many CMD commands?
I can't come up with an example off the top of my head but I have definitively ran into that issue myself so I can personally attest to it.

Because my teacher told me everything from CMD works in powershell because the powershell commands that were also in CMD get an alias that matches, so if you call a CMD command it basically calls the powershell equivalent that functionally does exactly the same but just has a powershell equivalent.

ipconfig for example basically calls get-network whatever stuff because ipconfig is an alias of that cmdlet.

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Because my teacher told me everything from CMD works in powershell because the powershell commands that were also in CMD get an alias that matches, so if you call a CMD command it basically calls the powershell equivalent that functionally does exactly the same but just has a powershell equivalent.

ipconfig for example basically calls get-network whatever stuff because ipconfig is an alias of that cmdlet.

Here's an example. Make two text files on your desktop, a.txt and b.txt, in a.txt type "a", in b.txt type "b" and save the changes. Now, in CMD type "copy *.txt out.txt", now your out.txt will look like "a\r\nb" (\r\n = linebreak), but if you do the same with PowerShell it will just output "b" and not "a".