COOLER MASTER MWE 550, SEASONIC S12Ii-520 or another PSU?

Go to solution Solved by OrionFOTL,

Well, you can go wrong with the Seasonic one. It's an 8 year old, bottom of the barrel design that shouldn't be used in modern computers anymore, and lacks some important protections.

Your setup with the Ryzen and GTX1060 will consume around 200W under load. Corsair CX450M https://www.chip7.pt/fontes-alimentacao/15645-corsair-fonte-builder-series-cx-v2-450-watt-semi-modular-80-bronce-atx-cp-9020101-eu-CP-9020101-E.html is a much better power supply and will work good. If you want to have something higher quality, get TX550M: https://www.chip7.pt/fontes-alimentacao/25330-enthusiast-series-tx550-watt-modular-power-supply-CP-9020133-E.html

After deciding my pc build(CPU, GPU, etc...), i checked for PSU´s that would be adequate for my build. I had used a wattage calculator (there´s an attached screenshot of the result, to give you a perspective). I picked a power supply that was less than 60 euros, preferably between 55 euros(including shipping), could be more, could be less. However, after reading the forums and youtube videos, I had more questions than answers about whenever or not i should either get one of the power supplies I planned to get, or to choose another PSU. I live in Madeira Islands, so my options of stores are very low. In fact, I only considered posting here, because i saw a user who helped people outside of North America (which by coincidence the user who wanted help was Portuguese).

Which power supply is good? Do i need to consider a PSU other than these ones mentioned, that can be sent to madeira islands? Should i increase my budget to get a power supply? If yes, how much?

Stores that have physical location in madeira islands, and allow to pick the product in the store without paying shipping fees:
-Worten: www.worten.pt
-Chip7: www.chip7.pt
Stores that can send products to Madeira Islands (which I´m aware of):
-amazon.es (preffered, since they offer free shipping with orders above 30€)
-Globaldata: www.globaldata.com(last resord, since they charge a shipping fee) 
-pcdiga: www.pcdiga.com(last resord, since they charge a shipping fee) 
PSU´s I considered (both of them belong to the stores with physical locations:

https://www.chip7.pt/fontes-alimentacao/25537-cm-fonte-alim-mwe-550w-80-plus-bronze-MPX-5501-ACA.html

https://www.worten.pt/acessorios-de-informatica/componentes-pc/fonte-alimentacao-seasonic-s12ii-520-6004797 (this one had 2 5-star reviews from verified purchasers)

Capture.PNG

I have multiple systems with the seasonic S12 520W and had 0 issues.

I even ran one with 2 rx 570's, no issues at all. 

You can't go wrong with the seasonic one. 

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

I have multiple systems with the seasonic S12 520W and had 0 issues.

I even ran one with 2 rx 570's, no issues at all. 

You can't go wrong with the seasonic one. 

Thank your for the info.

S12II is group regulated which may not suitable for modern systems. Guess @Stefan Payne can explain more on this.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Well, you can go wrong with the Seasonic one. It's an 8 year old, bottom of the barrel design that shouldn't be used in modern computers anymore, and lacks some important protections.

Your setup with the Ryzen and GTX1060 will consume around 200W under load. Corsair CX450M https://www.chip7.pt/fontes-alimentacao/15645-corsair-fonte-builder-series-cx-v2-450-watt-semi-modular-80-bronce-atx-cp-9020101-eu-CP-9020101-E.html is a much better power supply and will work good. If you want to have something higher quality, get TX550M: https://www.chip7.pt/fontes-alimentacao/25330-enthusiast-series-tx550-watt-modular-power-supply-CP-9020133-E.html

6 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

I understand. Thank you for explaining your point of view and your suggestion.

I still have questions about the MWE. I mean it´s made by cooler master, a reputable brand that is know to make good power supplies (linus even showed a 1200w PSU from coolermaster in the threadripper build iirc).

11 minutes ago, DerfStein said:

I still have questions about the MWE. I mean it´s made by cooler master, a reputable brand that is know to make good power supplies (linus even showed a 1200w PSU from coolermaster in the threadripper build iirc).

Cooler Master is NOT the maker of their PSUs, but simply rebadge units produced by OEMs you havent heard of. Their history on PSU is complicated either, some PSUs are good while some are disasters. The same goes to all brands, so dont be fooled by fame. Actually, Seasonic is the few brands out there that make PSUs themselves, but selling outdated units are a problem for it as well. No one's perfect.

Tier 3 or above is good while tier 4 is good for cheap systems (like 10 year old Core 2 Duos)

Dont know what the MWE's made of yet, so better not risk it.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

5 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Cooler Master is NOT the maker of their PSUs, but simply rebadge units produced by OEMs you havent heard of. Their history on PSU is complicated either, some PSUs are good while some are disasters. The same goes to all brands, so dont be fooled by fame. Actually, Seasonic is the few brands out there that make PSUs themselves, but selling outdated units are a problem for it as well. No one's perfect.

Tier 3 or above is good while tier 4 is good for cheap systems (like 10 year old Core 2 Duos)

Dont know what the MWE's made of yet, so better not risk it.

I see. It would be nice to know where the MWE would be made off. Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, DerfStein said:

I see. It would be nice to know where the MWE would be made off. Thanks for the info.

MWE 550W is made by HEC, and it uses a double forward, group regulated topology - the same outdated principle as the Seasonic S12II, which doesn't respond well to load from modern PCs. The MWE line is tricky, because only the 600W and 650W models use DC-DC converters, while 550W and everything below uses group regulation.

1 hour ago, DerfStein said:

I mean it´s made by cooler master, a reputable brand that is know to make good power supplies (linus even showed a 1200w PSU from coolermaster in the threadripper build iirc).

You can't choose computer components based on brand: MSI GTX1080 GaminX is a fast card, but that doesn't mean MSI GT1030 is fast too. Cooler Master MasterWatt Maker MIJ 1200 is an extremely well-built power supply, but Cooler Master MWE 550W uses the cheapest design possible.

Between Corsair CX450M and Corsair TX550M there's also Corsair CX550: https://www.chip7.pt/fontes-alimentacao/21087-corsair-fonte-cx550-550-watt-80-bronce-cp-9020121-eu-CP-9020121-E.html

It uses an upgraded design than CX450M (half bridge LLC resonant with DC-DC converters), but it doesn't have modular cables. The warranty for the CXes is 5 years, while for TX it's 7 years and it will last much longer.

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

Cooler Master is NOT the maker of their PSUs,

It does not matter who builds it.

It matters what the product manager wants and how much they are willing to pay... 

but simply rebadge units produced by OEMs you havent heard of.

No, they don't just rebrand PSU, they let the manufacturer do some changes for them.

And if you want to, you can ask them for a new layout - like be quiet did with the L8.

The normal Master Watt is very different to the Cougar LX or be quiet System Power 9 - all three use a similar basis...

Actually, Seasonic is the few brands out there that make PSUs themselves, but selling outdated units are a problem for it as well. No one's perfect

If you do it yourself or not does not matter that much.

And there are a couple of other brands that do stuff themselves - some of them are good, some of them are not...

Like FSP, HEC/Cougar (except the GX-S series), Huntkey...

And in some areas Acbel High Power, Delta, don't know if CWT still does something in the Consumer are or just does contract manufacturing.

Oh and there are also some pretty shitty companys that do manufacture stuff they sell themselves but lets not talk about it. Really not worth it...

You see there are a couple of manufacturers that still do consumer stuff but that's not a priority for many or even most of them.

If you are a good contract manufacturer, you do as you are told/asked by the contractee...

Because if you do not do it yourself you can go to everyone you want to and make a really neat lineup and most of the R&D is already done by the manufacturer, you only have to pay a rather small fee for some rather "minor" modifications like a case...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

My decision will be choosing the corsair cx450m power supply. I've seen a build with the same cpu and gpu that used a 450w power supply. Thank you all for the really helpful advices and suggestions.