Monitors and TV's

XDejvii

So I've been searching around and I just wanted to ask here if anyone can explain it better to me...

Some questions might probably be dumb, but I dont know a lot and even if i come out as an idiot i'll learn something new haha

Question 1) Are LCD,LED LCD,OLED,QLED just backlighting types for the "glass" screen?

Question 2) What kind of screens are computer monitors today? (LCD,LED,OLED,...) example: what does the Asus PG279Q have cuz i couldnt find any specification?
Question 3) What's the general difference between OLED and QLED? Is it just in the branding mostly or some other technical reason?

Sorry if some questions made you cringe beacuse of my stupidity but hey, someone has to tell me what's up lol...

Q1 = well it is the technology of the Screen, about the pixels to be specific. well your statement "backlighting" is right.

Q2 = most Monitors nowadays uses LED, and PG279Q uses LED

Q3 = well from what i read (just reading the name) it is branding because what i have seen so far Samsung is the only (maybe yet) brand that uses QLED terms

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

1)No.

LCD type screens are not glass, they are a form of plastic, this is why you cant clean them with cleaning products due to the product damaging the screen. If it were glass like old CRT or Plasma, you would be fine.To clean LCD's u use a damp cloth.

LED-LCD, QLED, and LCD.. are all infact LCD. LED-LCD referes to the backlight type, its LED instead of CCFL (bassicaly all LCD's today are LED-LCD).

QLED is a marketing term for Quantom Dot technology being used in conjunction with a LED LCD.

OLED is different from al lthe above in that it is not LED backlit, or backlit in any way. Instead the pixel themselve are Organic LED's that produce their own light, thus allowing true blacks. Normal LCD's (LED-LCD) use a backlight, which means it cannot show a true black. The color turns off but the backlight stays on, resulting in a grey instead of black.

2)Monitors are all LCD. They can use different types of LCD panel, but they are all LCD. TN are fast with poor image and are cheap , IPS have accurate colours and good image but slower, usualy more expensive, VA have good contrast and are the middle ground.

3) OLED and QLED are totaly different.

QLED is just a normal LED-LCD screen with QuantomDot technology added to achieve better colros and contrast. ('QLED' is samsungs marketing term)

OLED is a totaly different technology from the gorund up.

Each pixel produces its own light, thus resulting in far superior contrast and black levels. OLEDs ,however, suffer temporary image retention, similarly to how the last of the Plasma TV's did. Note however this does not mean they can not be used for a PC or gaming, you just have to be aware that static images can cause issues if left on screen for many hours, the use of screen savers, powersaving features like auto off, and auto hide windows task bar should be used. See the link below for the 2 tests currently being done on OLED's in regards to temporary and permanent image rention.

Torture test - https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

Real Life test - https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

In the end, currently OLED is the superior technology and if u can afford it, buying one should be a no brainer. But currently they start at 55", which imo is to big even at 4k , for dedicated PC use.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

@SolarNova My mind has just been enlightened with information and I am very grateful... Will make me understand everything more for my "Computer Monitors" presentation in school. No video I watched was as descriptive or accurate as this text... Thanks again

10 minutes ago, XDejvii said:

@SolarNova My mind has just been enlightened with information and I am very grateful... Will make me understand everything more for my "Computer Monitors" presentation in school. No video I watched was as descriptive or accurate as this text... Thanks again

No problem.

If your doing a presentation on computer monitors, make sure ot mention what old PC monitors were. They were CRT, and apart from be big, bulky, and power hungry, the best of them were infact able to produce an arguably better image than most of todays LCD monitors. The Sony GDM-FW900 is often towted as the king of CRT monitors, and in alot of ways if you ok with a 24" 16:10 screen, is still king.

Anyway GL with ur presentation.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

@SolarNova This is how i kinda understood:

Im doing a "computer monitors" presentation and the main groups are CRT and LCD monitors.

LCD monitors have different panels(TN,IPS,VA) and we have different LCD monitors(normal LCD and LED backlit LCD, ("OLED"-LCD)), right? Or are OLED's just a different type of monitors but are not used beacuse of the disadvantages you mentioned above?

7 minutes ago, XDejvii said:

@SolarNova This is how i kinda understood:

Im doing a "computer monitors" presentation and the main groups are CRT and LCD monitors.

LCD monitors have different panels(TN,IPS,VA) and we have different LCD monitors(normal LCD and LED backlit LCD, ("OLED"-LCD)), right? Or are OLED's just a different type of monitors but are not used beacuse of the disadvantages you mentioned above?

Ok so monitors are all currently LCD. Ether TN, IPS, or VA. They are all LED lit Both monitors and TV can be ether backlit or edgelit.

(Fat LCD TV's using CCFL backlights are no longer produced)

(CRT monitors are no longer produced)

Essentialy there are no OLED monitors (there are a few professional OLED monitors but u can pritty much ignore them)

OLED is currently TV only. And whilst u could use them for PC usuage, you do have to keep an eye on image retention. That and they start at 55" which tends to be a tad too big :P

@SolarNova
My presentation "recap": (still gotta finish some parts but mostly its done... Just gotta make a powerpoint then and present on wednesday.. )

COMPUTER MONITORS

General(unfinished)

CRT monitors– Cathode Ray Tube Display

Cathode rays were discovered by Johann Hittorf in 1869. These monitors produce analog images. 3 electron guns (red, blue, green) fire beams of electrons onto the phosphor screen to produce the image. The screen uses a raster scanner to build up the image from top to bottom and left to right. It moves so fast that we can’t see it happening. Because these screens are analog, the colour intensity is being adjusted by how much voltage and power is used. Less power means less bright images and the other way around.

CRT monitors were very big and heavy, so it was hard to move them around the room. One of the disadvantages was also the high-power consumption which was improved with today’s monitors.

LCD monitors– Liquid Crystal Display

George Heilmeier invented a device in 1964 that could change the colour of the LQ in a way that he could influence the orientation of the colour molecules in LQ. His research led to the discovery of the first LCD screen which needed a big current of electricity to run.

So, the LCD screen work by having a fluorescent backlight and the light goes through a polarizing filter, then the LQ and a colour filter and in the end through another polarizing filter to the user.

These monitors are rarely used today because a technology was made to use a better backlight. That was the LED technology...

LED LCD– Light Emitting Diode Displays

The LED technology works very similar to LCD’s, but instead of a fluorescent backlight, these screens use light emitting diodes or LED’s which are a lot smaller and more energy efficient at the same time. They also have a better colour reproduction and have a longer lifespan. Because LED’s are smaller the monitors and other displays can be made thinner.

Connector Types(unfinished)

VGA

DVI

HDMI

Display Port

Resolution

The resolution of a screen is a number that tells us how many pixels the screen has. The more pixels the screen has, the more graphics processing power you will need to show the image on a screen.

The bigger resolution your monitor has the more icons and space you will have on the screen itself.

The most standard resolution today is 1920x1080 or just 1080p for short, which is a total of 2 073 600 pixels. Other very known and used resolutions are 720p, 1440p and the highest resolution available in the market right now, 4k.

Size

The size of the screen is important and is usually scaled together with the resolution to have the best combination (1080p usually has 24’ screens, 1440p 27’ and so on…). The main measurement is usually provided in inches. If the monitor size is too big for the resolution the image is not going to be very sharp because of the low pixel-density.

Panel Type

TN-Twisted Nematic Panel; Cheap and most commonly They have the least accurate colour reproduction and the viewing angles are very narrow + meaning, can support faster response times and higher refresh rates than IPS panels. TN panels are more used by gamers because of the high Refresh Rates and response times. + don’t need viewing angles as much

VA- Vertical Alignment Panel; Good midrange option, not as common as TN, better colour reproduction than TN, black colour is most accurate out of the different panels, not good viewing angles.

IPS- In-Panel-Switching; Most expensive panel out of all 3 options, great colour accuracy and much better viewing angles that TN and VA, recommended panel types for graphics designers & photographers, usually don’t come in high refresh rates and response times.

Refresh Rate

The refresh rate tells how many times per second the screen will refresh. This is especially important for competitive gamers because the higher refresh rate you have, the smoother the image will look. Most monitors come with a refresh rate of 60Hz which means you will only see 60 frames per second on a 60Hz monitor. When upgrading from a 60Hz monitor to a 144Hz one you will instantly feel the difference, but for gamers that means you will need a more powerful PC which will get at least 144FPS on a game otherwise your monitor will not be able to operate at 144Hz and you will get screen tearing.

G-sync and Free-Sync

That’s why most high refresh rate monitors come with technologies like Nvidia’s G-sync and AMD’s Free-Sync which will eliminate screen tearing by forcing the display to adapt to the framerate of the graphics card. This technology is very expensive now and needs a graphics card that supports the technology.

Response Time

The response time tells how fast the screen will respond to certain actions performed by the user. Most monitors come with a response time from 1ms to 5ms. A lower response time is better and 1ms right now is the lowest response time you can get. TN panels have the best response times and IPS panels usually have a response time from 3-5ms.

Biggest Manufacturers(unfinished)

1. Asus

2. LG

3. Acer

4. Samsung

5. BenQ

@XDejvii

Sounds good.

However you have 'Response time' confused with 'Input lag/delay'. Dont worry this is a very common thing.

'Response time' is the time it takes a pixel to change from one colour to another. Usualy a Grey to Grey transition is measured. A high response time can cause a ghosting effect, where the image trails. Like moving your mouse over a dark background and seeing a blured trail behind it. Or a football on the screen doing the same.

'Input lag/delay' is the time it take for the screen to display an image from the input device. So for example, in a shooter game, u click the mouse button and u shoot, asuming the game has no inbuilt delay, the time between your mouse click to the time it is produced on the screen is the input delay.

Ok, now I swear this is my last message haha @SolarNova thanks for "verifying" my information :)

I haven't googled it but are you sure Asus and Acer are ahead of LG and Samsung on the list of manufacturers? Because in TVs Samsung and LG are far ahead in panel production and sales, because they actually make the panels themselves, and also sell them to other companies. So Asus may sell more monitors but I don't think they are the ones that make them(the panels). Look into it. 

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

5 hours ago, XDejvii said:

LCD monitors– Liquid Crystal Display

George Heilmeier invented a device in 1964 that could change the colour of the LQ in a way that he could influence the orientation of the colour molecules in LQ. His research led to the discovery of the first LCD screen which needed a big current of electricity to run.

So, the LCD screen work by having a fluorescent backlight and the light goes through a polarizing filter, then the LQ and a colour filter and in the end through another polarizing filter to the user.

These monitors are rarely used today because a technology was made to use a better backlight. That was the LED technology...

As far as I know, the Liquid Crystals do not change color, they just let lisht pass through them when the right current is sent through them - electricity turns the crystals into an organised "pattern" which allows the backlight to shine through. Then you put a "color filter" on top of it - a grid of Red green blue rectangles - and based on how the light hits this filter you get a pixel of a certain color. And like @SolarNova said OLEDs emit their own light - There is a similar grid of RGB organic substances that emit light when you run electricity through them.

EDIT:

Some more stuff that I would change, but don't want to make a 3rd post :D

- technically 4K is not the highest resolution of monitors - there are a few 5k (dell and apple I think) monitors on sale and there is an 8k DELL too. But they are not that common so decide if it's worth changing.

- You have two different categories for LCDs and LED LCDs and I don't think you explain well enough that those displays are still LCDs - I'd suggest that you change LED LCD– Light Emitting Diode Displays into LED LCD - LED backlight LCD displays. I think it makes it much clearer. There are LED displays but the technology is not small enough that you could make a good monitor or TV. You can see actual LED displays on let's say busses (the sign that says where the bus is heading) or some of the screens you see on concerts - they are just grids of LEDs.

IPS- In-Panel-Switching this is just a typo... its In-Plane Switching

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

thanks @DieselWeasel, and yes i saw the "slo mo guys's" video and when zoomed in enough you can see red,green,blue squares/rectangles throughout all of the screen. I'll make the LCD text a bit more understandable and look into it more... Thanks for the info :)

Edit: Pa glih opazu sm da si tut slovenc LUL; Pa list proizvajalcov ni glih po vrst, sam ene par sm jih dou gor.