this cant come soon enough

john chambers

Just because the standard was approved by the regulating body, doesnt mean that it will be deployed any time soon. This will require additional RF spectrum to accommodate the wider channels and will also require a rebuild of all cable plants to install nodes that support the new channels the return will need to carry back to the CMTS on. (I work in the docsis world so I know a thing or 2 on this)

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

will this be cheaper than fiber to deploy? I am in a COX area they are working on fiber installs where feasible and a possible N+O architecture. 

Just now, john chambers said:

will this be cheaper than fiber to deploy? I am in a COX area they are working on fiber installs where feasible and a possible N+O architecture. 

in the long run most likely as the infrastructure is already there mostly. Just depends on if they have a CMTS that supports Docsis 3.1 which are only the Cisco cBR-8 or the Arris E6000 CMTS's to my knowledge. The only real change should be at the node level for the return to support the added bandwidth with the frequency and channel width changes. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

26 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

in the long run most likely as the infrastructure is already there mostly. Just depends on if they have a CMTS that supports Docsis 3.1 which are only the Cisco cBR-8 or the Arris E6000 CMTS's to my knowledge. The only real change should be at the node level for the return to support the added bandwidth with the frequency and channel width changes. 

Are we just talking about replacing the amplifiers for the different return frequencies, or other equipment also? I have experience with coax plants but only within individual apartment complexes, the world of neighborhood-wide distribution is a bit outside my experience.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Just now, brwainer said:

Are we just talking about replacing the amplifiers for the different return frequencies, or other equipment also? I have experience with coax plants but only within individual apartment complexes, the world of neighborhood-wide distribution is a bit outside my experience.

The return nodes themselves have a frequency limitation in them so they cant go above a certain frequency, say 42mhz on the return as an example. These would need to be swapped out to also allow higher QAM range from the 16QAM or 64QAM which is most common today to 1024QAM that is common for Docsis 3.1. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

2 hours ago, legacy99 said:

The return nodes themselves have a frequency limitation in them so they cant go above a certain frequency, say 42mhz on the return as an example. These would need to be swapped out to also allow higher QAM range from the 16QAM or 64QAM which is most common today to 1024QAM that is common for Docsis 3.1. 

But what does “return node” mean? Do you just mean the part of the amplifier that handles reverse/upstream frequencies? For reference the amplifiers I mostly have experience with are the Toner TDA-35-1000/42 (where /42 means the return frequency cut is 42MHz), and I’ve also helped out with a few pedestal/hardline amplifiers before. So are we just talking about upping the level where the high pass filter on downstream and the low pass filter on upstream take effect?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

All hail John Chambers! Glory to his cricket farm investments :P

If I remember right, DOCSIS 3.1 should eventually allow for something like 10Gig down and 4Gig up

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, brwainer said:

But what does “return node” mean? Do you just mean the part of the amplifier that handles reverse/upstream frequencies? For reference the amplifiers I mostly have experience with are the Toner TDA-35-1000/42 (where /42 means the return frequency cut is 42MHz), and I’ve also helped out with a few pedestal/hardline amplifiers before. So are we just talking about upping the level where the high pass filter on downstream and the low pass filter on upstream take effect?

Then yea, you know more about the field aspect then I do. I deal with back end stuff with the CMTS's personally. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

8 hours ago, john chambers said:

The issue is dude, is currently cable co's use 5 Mhz to 42 Mhz for upstream. They have a lot of work on their end to make more spectrum available for upstream. Dont count on this happening any time soon. Comcast was like the first to deploy DOCSIS 3.1 and they still can only muster 35 Mbps uploads. I have a feeling its going to be a few more years. But yeah its a cool tech, it will allow Cable Co's to compete with fiber, I suspect the only difference between the two services is latency, with cable having slightly higher. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 3/18/2018 at 5:59 AM, Lurick said:

If I remember right, DOCSIS 3.1 should eventually allow for something like 10Gig down and 4Gig up

symmetrical with full Duplex

On 3/18/2018 at 6:59 AM, Lurick said:

10 Gbps down 2 Gbps up, but full duplex is in the works. The issue is cable co's use 5 Mhz to 42 Mhz for upstream which is very limited, which is why upload is shit. So until they allocate more to upstream, we will have lower upload speeds. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.