Will CPU max memory bandwidth be increased if I use higher clock ram?

Go to solution Solved by Jormungandr_Upphaf,
4 minutes ago, AvatarComputer said:

Cause i found it support 4 memory channels and much cheaper than 7900x

What do you plan on doing with it though? Gaming, Video Editing, what?

I wish to build a new rig with i7-7820x. In wikichip (https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-7820x) as well as Intel web (https://ark.intel.com/products/123767/Intel-Core-i7-7820X-X-series-Processor-11M-Cache-up-to-4_30-GHz), it is said this CPU support 4-channel DDR4-2666, which means its max memory bandwidth is 79.47 GiB/s. So my question is if i use DDR4-3600 ram for instance, will its max memory bandwidth be boosted proportionally? In another word, is its max memory bandwidth limited by the ram or the CPU itself?

Thanks!

Wait why are you buying a 7820X? 

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

24 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Wait why are you buying a 7820X? 

It depends on the RAM, on both the timings and the frequency. 

Spoiler

:)

4 minutes ago, AvatarComputer said:

18 minutes ago, Jormungandr_Upphaf said:

Mostly gaming. I am just curious why people like high clock rate ram. I guess it has something to do with Max memory bandwdith.

2 hours ago, AvatarComputer said:

Mostly gaming. I am just curious why people like high clock rate ram. I guess it has something to do with Max memory bandwdith.

https://www.pcsteps.com/7932-real-ram-speed-mhz-cas-latency/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Yt4vSZKVk

Check those out for why people like high ram speed.

As for your cpu of choice if you manly plan to just game i don't really see a reason to get an 8 core cpu. You could get a 8700k which is considered the best gaming processor right now and it has 6 cores. Gaming uses about 4 cores so having more beyond that won't really do much for performance, if you plan on video editing or things that will take advantage of more cores then by all means get the 7820X.

Ram poses a unique issue in computers. Depending on architecture the real world impact of raising its speed beyond 2400 may be minimal (intel sky lake, kabylake and older), or it may demonstrate reasonable gains up to a point (Ryzens infinity fabric demonstrates diminishing returns beyond 3000-3200Mhz)

the other issue is CAS latencies. That is the time, in cycles (Hz), which the memory controller has to wait to perform a particular function (read, write, move from one memory row to another). You’ll see memory sticks from Corsair for example selling for different prices although they’re both 3200 in speed. It’s usually because the silicon lottery has allowed a higher priced stick (binned) to achieve faster CAS latencies (smaller numbers). 

What you need to do, is to figure out how much of an impact forking over your hard earned cash (unless you have trust funds) for a faster ram with shorter latency has on the real world performance of your system. There are many YouTube videos and online articles addressing these issues

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...