Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

Here the MCA bus....daddy to the PCI bus I believe. IBM model 70 386. Wife wanted my old PC collection gone so I kept the PS/2's cause they are my fav. Mice pee killed all but a PS/1 Valuepoint and a model 30/286. Models 25.30,50z.56,70 and a model 80 tower

post-228982-0-18747800-1434903185_thumb.

Old eprom chip, light sensitive, little window on the cover and a label to keeplight out, next to that is an old fuse

post-228982-0-55843000-1434903444_thumb.

Old eprom chip, light sensitive, little window on the cover and a label to keeplight out, next to that is an old fuse

attachicon.gifIMG_20150621_112225171.jpg

For those that don't know the window was for erasing the chip. You would shine a UV light through the window and boom you had a fresh, ready to be programmed eprom. these have been replaced by EEPROMs that are electronically erasable, rather than using UV light.

Dead model 30 next to model 70 base. I wanted to build my sub 200 A10 7870 build using the model 30 but the emachines PSU is too tall so I am going with the 70 case. 

Although the 30 was part of the PS/2 line like the model 25 it used an ISA 8 bit bus. Odd to me considering it uses an 8086 instead of the 8088 used the the original IBM PC. As far as I know the 8086 should handle EISA since it is a true 16bit chip and not a 16 bit core with an 8 bit bus like the 8088

post-228982-0-08993000-1434904016_thumb.

Soon to be TMC's Mobo

I can't wait! My 300R sits empty right now. :P

Ya the bottom one confuses me...

It's a different voltage.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

pentium 4 pic

A Northwood Pentium 4 CPU, pulled from an old eMachines PC.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

A Prescott Pentium 4 CPU, pulled from an old eMachines PC.

That does not look look at all like the Pentium 630 (Presott) that I tried to delid. Heck, it doesn't even look like the Northwood in my old laptop. Perhaps you mean Pentium 4 Willamette? (The IHS is similar to the Tulatin Pentium III).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

That does not look look at all like the Pentium 630 (Presott) that I tried to delid. Heck, it doesn't even look like the Northwood in my old laptop. Perhaps you mean Pentium 4 Willamette? (The IHS is similar to the Tulatin Pentium III).

Nope. That is the proper IHS for Northwood and Prescott. I would know, since I have a 2.4GHz Northwood with HT in my old Dell and it looks exactly like that. And I love old Pentium 4's.

And a little side note, that's the same "shape" as the early 1.5GHz+ ones that were on 478 too.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Nope. That is the proper IHS for Northwood and Prescott. I would know, since I have a 2.4GHz Northwood with HT in my old Dell and it looks exactly like that. And I love old Pentium 4's.

And a little side note, that's the same "shape" as the early 1.5GHz+ ones that were on 478 too.

The IHS on my Prescott P4 was different :P

PMSL

from before transistors where a thing

Y5YjeXO.jpg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

from before transistors where a thing

Y5YjeXO.jpg

And when computers filled a room or 2.

PMSL

I found this in an old box.

attachicon.gifPhoto0477a.jpg

*sniffs* CyriX, I will miss you. but not your 25MHz 486 that was slower than my AMD 386 DX 40 (both are still around-but seriously, f*** the barrel batteries that killed my first and third IBM compatible PC)

PMSL

*sniffs* CyriX, I will miss you. but not your 25MHz 486 that was slower than my AMD 386 DX 40 (both are still around-but seriously, f*** the barrel batteries that killed my first and third IBM compatible PC)

I think I have a few more old CPUs somewhere, but they are mostly boring Pentium 1 and MMX, that Cyrix looks pretty.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I think I have a few more old CPUs somewhere, but they are mostly boring Pentium 1 and MMX, that Cyrix looks pretty.

Pentium MMX? That would be fun to bench against my K6-2 500. But then again, 1 of the motherboard's caps has failed so I need to replace it. (I should probably install a socket each time a cap fails, that way if it fails again, just plug and play)

PMSL

Pentium MMX? That would be fun to bench against my K6-2 500. But then again, 1 of the motherboard's caps has failed so I need to replace it. (I should probably install a socket each time a cap fails, that way if it fails again, just plug and play)

You should get good low ESR solid caps. 

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

You should get good low ESR solid caps. 

I was thinking of doing that. My Abit VP6 actually has those in the VRM power circuitry-and its the only legacy motherboard that I own with them. (All of the capacitors look like they have been replaced-and it did come with 2x PIII EB 1000, the stock Intel coolers and 2GB 133MHz, 150MHz stable with heatspreader SDRAM (unknown manufacturer, but all 4 sticks are from the same-2 have sequential serial numbers, and the others are extremely close).

PMSL

attachicon.gifpachinko.jpg

Not sure if this counts, but a 70's pachinko from Japan.

I also got a zipdisk, DDR1-2, and some really ol' stuff laying around somewhere.  xD Who wants to see a SEGA CDX?  NES?  SNES?  Game Gear? Neo Geo Pocket?

I'd take the Zipdisk, but I've got no disks for it. 5.25" FDD FTW.

PMSL

This is a photo representation,l not my personal ones. I own 2, and I'm proud of it.

iomega-zip-drive_8316.jpg

attachicon.gifold.jpg

Alienware Respawn disk before they were bought by Dell, a zip disk, DDR1, game gear, an IDE drive, sega CDX, neo geo pocket color, ps1 original controller without sticks, sonic screwdriver, gameboy pocket, and rare space invaders keychain, and a Doom II survival guide.  Technically all computer stuff.

I take it that the Maxtor HDD is dead just like mine (which is a similar if not identical model-the control board is the part that normally fails first on them-even if the heads are knocking).

PMSL

All the Maxtor drives in my desk are.  xD

Same here. I had a 420MB drive working a few months ago, but the PCB died, and when I tried to recover the 80MB Maxtor: 'knock knock', well this is just f***ing great, a Maxtor HDD out lasted by an WD AC280

PMSL

Old things:

semperon 2600+ 1999

ddr sticks

p4s

pentium ds

Found at the tip:

pentium ds

200gb wd black

p4

ddr2

ddr400

old gpus

other things...

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

The IHS on my Prescott P4 was different :P

I made a mistake. It is a Northwood after all!  :blink:

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.