Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

12 minutes ago, frozensun said:

OMG I forgot.

On-CHIP USB controller was disabled in BIOS.

Thank you a tone.....fixed now!

Cheers mate!

Btw guys, is there a way for Windows XP to auto turn OFF PC?

When I run shutdown I get message at the end "It is now safe to turn OFF your computer" and I need manually to turn it off on a case button.

I don't want each time to turn it off via button.

That's because of there being a Baby AT version of the board (GA-5AA) that still has the AT PSU connector in addition to the ATX power connector. And with the board being a revision 1.8 it still shows that message to let you know that you can turn off the PSU (back when they were electrically turned on and off)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

That's because of there being a Baby AT version of the board (GA-5AA) that still has the AT PSU connector in addition to the ATX power connector. And with the board being a revision 1.8 it still shows that message to let you know that you can turn off the PSU (back when they were electrically turned on and off)

So that is at is is...just to accept it?

Yep I remember my good old Pentium I switching off the same way.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

31 minutes ago, frozensun said:

So that is at is is...just to accept it?

Yep I remember my good old Pentium I switching off the same way.

Unfortunately, that's the pain of having a PC from the days where the AT standard was still in use. I've actually got a couple of AT cases from the late 90's/early 2000's that allow the installation of AT and Baby AT boards (standoff are labelled as such)

PMSL

Okay .so now PC is operational.

What to do with it?

Take it to museum? 😄

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

29 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Okay .so now PC is operational.

What to do with it?

Take it to museum? 😄

Well, it'd be perfect for DOS stuff under 98SE... otherwise not much.

PMSL

Here is some of the PC specs for you Retro freaks (as so am I)....

PC works flawlessly, Gosh why don't they make nowdays PCs as before...

How come caps still work ? 😄

20230103-104355.jpg 20230103-104405.jpg 20230103-104416.jpg 20230103-104426.jpg 20230103-104436.jpg 20230103-104450.jpg 20230103-104519.jpg 20230103-104554.jpg 20230103-104616.jpg 20230103-104714.jpg 20230103-104804.jpg 20230103-104844.jpg 20230103-104937.jpg 20230103-105000.jpg

The issue with disk, don't understand, hope disk is healthy...

20230103_111522.jpg

I'm working now on second 2nd rig,there is an issue with graphics card holder bracket (pics)

If you guys  want pics I am more then happy to post them...

It's a Pentium III 500MHz with 576MB of RAM....

I mean I could drill the hole put screw in it and under it nut/bolt.

But hmm drilling a hole would make a mess inside the case and possibly little pieces of metal make a short...

Maybe another solution, hmm friends?

20230103_113559.jpg

20230103_113608.jpg

20230103_113644.jpg

20230103_113652.jpg

20230103_113719.jpg

Thought I'd ask around here.

Does anyone have 2x4gb of DDR2 SODIMMs or a laptop Core 2 Quad they'd be willing to part with for non exorbitant prices? eBay prices for either of those are $75 or so and I'd rather not pay for ram+CPU 3x what I did for the laptop itself.

And by some miracle does anyone have a Quadro FX 1700m? I can't find these anywhere.

Planning on restoring an old Precision M4400, I already have a bunch of Core 2 Duo/4GB laptops so I want to give this one a special treatment.

My dad's beast old Parallel ATA HDD from 2006 actually booted up and works perfectly fine (besides from the 3 sector errors). This is actually sick

IMG_20230103_170035.jpg

IMG_20230103_170140.jpg

IMG_20230103_170404.jpg

That is pretty cool but im not surprised. A couple of years ago i gave my brother a couple of 1tb seagate drives i had sitting spare. These are very old. Aprox 10 years or there abouts. My brother was trying to set up a basic gaming rig on a shoe string. The drives work fine and are still running without errors. Hdd's can last a very long time if they're looked after properly.

4 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

Does anyone have 2x4gb of DDR2 SODIMMs or a laptop Core 2 Quad they'd be willing to part with for non exorbitant prices? eBay prices for either of those are $75 or so and I'd rather not pay for ram+CPU 3x what I did for the laptop itself.

And by some miracle does anyone have a Quadro FX 1700m? I can't find these anywhere.

Planning on restoring an old Precision M4400, I already have a bunch of Core 2 Duo/4GB laptops so I want to give this one a special treatment.

I just checked my old Tecra M7 it's got 2x2GBs and a T7600 (i think that was the best chip i could put in there when i upgraded it)

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

2 hours ago, Lawin said:

My dad's beast old Parallel ATA HDD from 2006 actually booted up and works perfectly fine (besides from the 3 sector errors). This is actually sick

Those old WD drives are tanks. HDDs used to be built a lot better - I've got drives from 1995 that are still going strong.

On the inside, very little has changed from those old Caviars to a modern WD Blue you could go out and buy right now. 

4 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

I've got a pentium M laptop, just need to yank the drives from it. You're welcome to have it for cost of shipping, not what you're looking for tho lol. Dude, you can get a Dell!

I'm still BLOWN AWAY by the new laptop, doesn't even need fans spinning to watch 1080/60 YouTube. Old couldn't even PLAY 1080/60 YouTube without dropping frames.

Also I'm eyeballing an ASRock 3D Vision on eBay for some reason, probably stupidity! Only can run 1st gen mobile Core i CPUs but has a GT 425m on a MXM!  Would be a snappy enough tiny Linux box to VESA mount to a screen. Sadly it's got all the faults my laptop has, 8Gab ram limit, SATA2 only. Anyone know if MXM modules are like PCIe cards and I can swap them around? I'd love to drop in a newer GPU, I see cheap MXM pop up on eBay sometimes.

36 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I've got a pentium M laptop, just need to yank the drives from it. You're welcome to have it for cost of shipping, not what you're looking for tho lol. Dude, you can get a Dell!

I'm still BLOWN AWAY by the new laptop, doesn't even need fans spinning to watch 1080/60 YouTube. Old couldn't even PLAY 1080/60 YouTube without dropping frames.

Also I'm eyeballing an ASRock 3D Vision on eBay for some reason, probably stupidity! Only can run 1st gen mobile Core i CPUs but has a GT 425m on a MXM!  Would be a snappy enough tiny Linux box to VESA mount to a screen. Sadly it's got all the faults my laptop has, 8Gab ram limit, SATA2 only. Anyone know if MXM modules are like PCIe cards and I can swap them around? I'd love to drop in a newer GPU, I see cheap MXM pop up on eBay sometimes.

I quite appreciate the offer but I already have several laptops in that performance class - mainly looking for a quadcore chip for my mobile workstation. Thanks again, though!

1 hour ago, SimplyChunk said:

I just checked my old Tecra M7 it's got 2x2GBs and a T7600 (i think that was the best chip i could put in there when i upgraded it)

Yeah, that's the best they could have. It was the same for my Tecra M5 (which had a jury-rigged backlight blutacked in after the original died).

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Yeah, that's the best they could have. It was the same for my Tecra M5 (which had a jury-rigged backlight blutacked in after the original died).

My M7 still has both pens 🙂 and the swiveling mount for the screen is still holding up.  Battery is dead though lol 

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

8 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

My M7 still has both pens 🙂 and the swiveling mount for the screen is still holding up.  Battery is dead though lol 

I picked one up a few months ago, a later version with a first gen i5. Sadly had issues booting into any OS.

My working order. Ati radeon x850 platinum edition i gotten it like in the mid of 2022 when i bought it for only 3$ its in working order has some flaws there and there like this blown capacitor or conductor  but in all a rare ol nice gpu that was high end in its launch era 

1672792023735766380782387643283.jpg

167279207560846718401097407688.jpg

16727921063511685025244877958784.jpg

Duron 1000 VS Mobile Duron 1300. I think that the die has the full 256KB L2 cache and that it might be unlockable.

20230106_184632.thumb.jpg.0114e91689fcc04ad4cb9af209b76e30.jpg

Edit: Only usable on my KT600 board as it lets me set the multiplier. Need a desktop XP 1900+ or 1800+ (Palomino) to have a proper upgrade...they might if I'm lucky use less power due to better binning.

PMSL

For the sake of you retro lovers I will post my 2nd rig of my life...I hope still works back from 1998.....

I feel sorry when I think about my 1st rig which is probably in some garbage...

It was Pentium I turbo boosting to 100Mhz with compressed HDD of a 850 MB and 16MB of RAM...

I am sure it would still work though it had one of those integrated CMOS batteries which are prone to leakage...

But as with girlfrriends, first love is never forgivable...