Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

So I was able to remove all ram modules but I broke one of the latches of  dimm slot (left one on pic).

After puting one ram module it detects it as it is 64 MB.

Added 2 more modules still at boot detected only 64MB with all 3 modules installed.

Checked all RAM modules withmemtest86 all okay (no errors).

The issue number 2 is that it won't pass the screen (pic below) simply stops at the screen (pic below).

Chose option load bios default and setup default still not boot to Windows.

I changed date and time as it is.

I also switched boot order to boot from C: drive, no help.

But when I boot it with special rescue CD (Hirens Boot CD) and choose boot from HDD option, Windows XP boots normally though very slow with only 64 MB of RAM.

But made me happy PC does work just won't pass the screen below (pic).

And I would really like it to detect all 3 RAM modules.

Tried all possible combinations with RAM modules and slots nope only 64MB detected instead of 2x128 MB + 64 MB.

Other 2 modules are 128MB per module.

Just to remind I did replace CMOS battery, if that could cause all these issues.

20221228_194134.jpg

20221228_174135.jpg

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

So I was able to remove all ram modules but I broke one of the latches of  dimm slot (left one on pic).

After puting one ram module it detects it as it is 64 MB.

Added 2 more modules still at boot detected only 64MB with all 3 modules installed.

Checked all RAM modules withmemtest86 all okay (no errors).

The issue number 2 is that it won't pass the screen (pic below) simply stops at the screen (pic below).

Chose option load bios default and setup default still not boot to Windows.

I changed date and time as it is.

I also switched boot order to boot from C: drive, no help.

But when I boot it with special rescue CD (Hirens Boot CD) and choose boot from HDD option, Windows XP boots normally though very slow with only 64 MB of RAM.

But made me happy PC does work just won't pass the screen below (pic).

And I would really like it to detect all 3 RAM modules.

Tried all possible combinations with RAM modules and slots nope only 64MB detected instead of 2x128 MB + 64 MB.

Other 2 modules are 128MB per module.

Just to remind I did replace CMOS battery, if that could cause all these issues.

20221228_194134.jpg

20221228_174135.jpg

Windows XP does allow installations to be repaired from the installation disc (unlike newer or older Windows versions), so you should give that a go. Could just be a few broken files causing issues.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

16 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Windows XP does allow installations to be repaired from the installation disc (unlike newer or older Windows versions), so you should give that a go. Could just be a few broken files causing issues.

Hmmm...how do I do that?

Googled "repair windows xp with cd" but what do I need to repair?

But it boots from Hirens Boot CD from bootable HDD into XP.

I am thinking to install 98 over it, since on 64MB of RAM working in XP is painful slow.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Hmmm...how do I do that?

Googled "repair windows xp with cd" but what do I need to repair?

But it boots from Hirens Boot CD from bootable HDD into XP.

I am thinking to install 98 over it, since on 64MB of RAM working in XP is painful slow.

You boot into it as you typically would to install, and as long it's the correct version (I guess the PC has XP Home?) you'll be able to do a repair installation:
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (lifewire.com)

BTW if internet explorer is newer than 6.0, the repair will kill it.

Also Windows 98 is more suited to anything from AMD's K6 series. Unless it's a K6 III+ (integrated L2 cache, so they'd have up to 1MB L3 cache depending on the SS7 board) - universally they were slower by far than lower clocked Pentium II and Celeron

PMSL

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

You boot into it as you typically would to install, and as long it's the correct version (I guess the PC has XP Home?) you'll be able to do a repair installation:

Also Windows 98 is more suited to anything from AMD's K6 series. Unless it's a K6 III+ (integrated L2 cache, so they'd have up to 1MB L3 cache depending on the SS7 board) - universally they were slower by far than lower clocked Pentium II and Celeron

Okay...will try when come home.

Maybe in some way I can repair it with Hirens Boot CD,it has some useful features.

Last time I changed CMOS battery on desktop, PC could not boot into Windows.Had to reinstall it.

And regarding RAM?

8 hours ago, frozensun said:

Maybe in some way I can repair it with Hirens Boot CD,it has some useful features.

Last time I changed CMOS battery on desktop, PC could not boot into Windows.Had to reinstall it.

And regarding RAM?

I have a stick of RAM that was from my uncle's old Duron 1000 + Gigabyte GA-7IXEH pc (256MB RAM under XP would have been painful as it uses over 100MB with just drivers installed) that also has the same problem and yet flawlessly past several runs of memtest. The stick is dead as one bank has failed.

Do you have any other sticks of RAM to try? Because with SDRAM there were a lot of awful manufacturers back when it was relevant and as a result a lot of bad RAM found its way into cheap systems. I was lucky with the sticks I found amongst PC parts that my aunt gave to me were mostly Hynix - and that the dead ones were nearly all PC100.

PMSL

19 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

And regarding RAM?

Did clean install of XP, works flawlessly.

128+64 MB of RAM.

Beforw that I did clean RAM module contacts with isopropyl on voila, 128MB+64MB recognized by MoBo.

But when install 3rd RAM module to slot, PC won't boot (I get beeps), so either RAM is not compatible or slot is damaged.

Btw any special website where to find drivers for GPU, LAN card and sound card for XP (this older stuff)?

Now PC works okay and I am happy.

So I did succeed in resolving issue, it was one stick of RAM. 🤗

Gosh I sooo missed the sound of an old pata HDD.😂

The disk is as if I can remember 4.2 GB in size, so only 780MB left on system partition.

I should delete 2nd partition while XP install, since I don't need it anymore.

Could I merge partitions now from Windows XP?

found this  Sidewinder X8 in the storeroom .. after so long , it feels nicer to hold then the g502 hero which i`m using now  .. 

322489835_854165528968684_3095562731956925277_n.jpg

4 hours ago, frozensun said:

And regarding RAM?

The stick showing as 64MB is technically dead (but if memtest keeps passing...might as well use it), the 3rd RAM slot also sounds like it's dead. SDRAM is extremely cheap to buy on Ebay if you have none lying around. TBH for the vast majority of programs that the K6 could handle, 192MB should be actually OK under Windows 98.

4 hours ago, frozensun said:

Did clean install of XP, works flawlessly.

128+64 MB of RAM.

Beforw that I did clean RAM module contacts with isopropyl on voila, 128MB+64MB recognized by MoBo.

But when install 3rd RAM module to slot, PC won't boot (I get beeps), so either RAM is not compatible or slot is damaged.

Btw any special website where to find drivers for GPU, LAN card and sound card for XP (this older stuff)?

Now PC works okay and I am happy.

So I did succeed in resolving issue, it was one stick of RAM. 🤗

Gosh I sooo missed the sound of an old pata HDD.😂

The disk is as if I can remember 4.2 GB in size, so only 780MB left on system partition.

I should delete 2nd partition while XP install, since I don't need it anymore.

Could I merge partitions now from Windows XP?

I'd just delete the partitions when installing Windows and make a new one. Regarding the drivers, you can still download the ones for the motherboard directly from Gigabyte (XP should already have the best available. so only good for Win98/ME):
GA-5AX (rev. 5.2) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Drivers for the Rage Pro direct from AMD:
ATI Rage™ PRO Drivers & Support | AMD

What are the soundcard and modem? Modem could be removed but I believe in keeping a PC as intact as possible...if I'm the second owner after well over 20 years.

PMSL

On 12/30/2022 at 11:14 AM, Dabombinable said:

The stick showing as 64MB is technically dead (but if memtest keeps passing...might as well use it), the 3rd RAM slot also sounds like it's dead. SDRAM is extremely cheap to buy on Ebay if you have none lying around. TBH for the vast majority of programs that the K6 could handle, 192MB should be actually OK under Windows 98.

I'd just delete the partitions when installing Windows and make a new one. Regarding the drivers, you can still download the ones for the motherboard directly from Gigabyte (XP should already have the best available. so only good for Win98/ME):
GA-5AX (rev. 5.2) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Drivers for the Rage Pro direct from AMD:
ATI Rage™ PRO Drivers & Support | AMD

What are the soundcard and modem? Modem could be removed but I believe in keeping a PC as intact as possible...if I'm the second owner after well over 20 years.

Hmmm..no support for XP..so which one should I choose?

29 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Hmmm..no support for XP..so which one should I choose?

iirc.  some Windows 2000 drivers work in XP

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

This board is revision 1.8...the drivers from given link won't pass, I get following message when I run setup:

ALI PCI Bus Master CHIP doesn't exist!!

10 hours ago, frozensun said:

This board is revision 1.8...the drivers from given link won't pass, I get following message when I run setup:

ALI PCI Bus Master CHIP doesn't exist!!

I'm going to keep looking around. The lack of the bus master chip is due to later boards replacing an ISA slot with PCI and therefore needing the extra chip (well, extra as in the newer boards have a different revision of the southbridge).

Try the drivers here, version 2.13 first:
Gigabyte GA-5AX (REV 4.1/5.2) (theretroweb.com)

^they mentioned the change in later boards

More info on the board further down, and 1.8 isn't listed as a known revision so it's probably highly uncommon:
DOS Days - Gigabyte

PMSL

12 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I'm going to keep looking around. The lack of the bus master chip is due to later boards replacing an ISA slot with PCI and therefore needing the extra chip (well, extra as in the newer boards have a different revision of the southbridge).

Try the drivers here, version 2.13 first:
Gigabyte GA-5AX (REV 4.1/5.2) (theretroweb.com)

^they mentioned the change in later boards

More info on the board further down, and 1.8 isn't listed as a known revision so it's probably highly uncommon:
DOS Days - Gigabyte

This one passed, looked to me it's a driver for W98.

Thank you.

After installation I got message smth like that I should install these drivers before I installed GPU drivers,which in my case was opposite...dunno if that matters in Windows XP.

But my USB pendrive still is not recognized by the PC, I plugged classic USB 2.0 pendrive.

I really wish USB support works.

All the contacts like serial port and USB to me look too dark no aluminium/steel shine...maybe they all are oxidated from moisture.

Maybe needed contacts cleaner who knows...
Is there a way to check  if the USB driver is installed?

The second issue is that I forgot how to setup ADSL connection in Windows XP,and I forgot password for my ISP provider.

In windows 7 you just plug in LAN cable and no need to setup account details and make new connection.

Is that possible in Windows XP?

I am using ADSL router for connecting to internet.

13 hours ago, frozensun said:

This one passed, looked to me it's a driver for W98.

Thank you.

After installation I got message smth like that I should install these drivers before I installed GPU drivers,which in my case was opposite...dunno if that matters in Windows XP.

But my USB pendrive still is not recognized by the PC, I plugged classic USB 2.0 pendrive.

I really wish USB support works.

All the contacts like serial port and USB to me look too dark no aluminium/steel shine...maybe they all are oxidated from moisture.

Maybe needed contacts cleaner who knows...
Is there a way to check  if the USB driver is installed?

The second issue is that I forgot how to setup ADSL connection in Windows XP,and I forgot password for my ISP provider.

In windows 7 you just plug in LAN cable and no need to setup account details and make new connection.

Is that possible in Windows XP?

I am using ADSL router for connecting to internet.

You're talking about under 98 right? If so, then you need the unofficial USB drivers as the only Windows 9x version that includes them is ME (which is only good for Windows and late DOS gaming - I am lucky in that only 1 of my games needs realmode DOS).

Windows 98 USB Storage Driver - philscomputerlab.com

I recommend that you try to find a PCI usb 2.0 card that has drivers for 98SE (NEC seem to be the best) - though XP would include them as would the unofficial USB pack. As for networking - try to find an old Realtek fast ethernet card (100Mbps) as they are extremely cheap and even some gigabit cards have drivers for 98SE (the CPU wouldn't even allow even close to that performance however).

PMSL

I've got a couple pci network cards if you're in the USA and want them for cost of shipping.

9 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

You're talking about under 98 right? If so, then you need the unofficial USB drivers as the only Windows 9x version that includes them is ME (which is only good for Windows and late DOS gaming - I am lucky in that only 1 of my games needs realmode DOS).

Windows 98 USB Storage Driver - philscomputerlab.com

I recommend that you try to find a PCI usb 2.0 card that has drivers for 98SE (NEC seem to be the best) - though XP would include them as would the unofficial USB pack. As for networking - try to find an old Realtek fast ethernet card (100Mbps) as they are extremely cheap and even some gigabit cards have drivers for 98SE (the CPU wouldn't even allow even close to that performance however).

Nope.I installed XP.Earlier this morning I used contact cleaner and brush to clean contacts in ports.

Nope, none of the 2 USB works, I plugged USB pen drive, nothing happens, so I dunno if the issue is HW or SW related.

Nope.I installed XP.Earlier this morning I used contact cleaner and brush to clean contacts in ports.

Nope, none of the 2 USB works, I plugged USB pen drive, nothing happens, so I dunno if the issue is HW or SW related.

It'd be hardware related. USB was still early days when the board was made, so there will always be some issues. They are USB 1.0 ports after all.

PMSL

34 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

It'd be hardware related. USB was still early days when the board was made, so there will always be some issues. They are USB 1.0 ports after all.

Aha.

So USB 2.0 pendrives won't work?

I don't see any of the USB related driver listed (pic below).

20230102_095416.jpg

57 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Aha.

time to bust out the old CD Burner mate

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

5 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

time to bust out the old CD Burner mate

Lol it's in this PC, Asus one...

11 hours ago, frozensun said:

Aha.

20230102_095416.jpg

Is the USB controller even enabled in the BIOS? Considering that there aren't even errors being shown.

PMSL

11 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Is the USB controller even enabled in the BIOS? Considering that there aren't even errors being shown.

OMG I forgot.

On-CHIP USB controller was disabled in BIOS.

Thank you a tone.....fixed now!

Cheers mate!

Btw guys, is there a way for Windows XP to auto turn OFF PC?

When I run shutdown I get message at the end "It is now safe to turn OFF your computer" and I need manually to turn it off on a case button.

I don't want each time to turn it off via button.