Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Is it a standard size/shape motherboard otherwise? I've got two of these I use to tinker with, they're decent.

https://www.amazon.com/Mining-Machine-Thickened-Motherboard-Bracket/dp/B092VZ5RZH/

It's standard BTX as far as I can tell

49 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

It's standard BTX as far as I can tell

It would work on one of those open bench things, I have the E-ATX size just for the extra room to let the cables lay on the "case".  There's no way to make it look nice and cable managed really but it gets the job done well enough.

Core 2 is old enough.

Side note, I have a Core 2 Quad Q9550S (it's the same thing as the Q9550 - cores, threads, clockspeed, etc. except 65W TDP not 95W TDP).

Whatcha gonna do with the C2Q?

elephants

1 hour ago, FakeKGB said:

Core 2 is old enough.

Side note, I have a Core 2 Quad Q9550S (it's the same thing as the Q9550 - cores, threads, clockspeed, etc. except 65W TDP not 95W TDP).

Whatcha gonna do with the C2Q?

I was going to get one of the 9550s's but they were a good deal more expensive and the BIOS of the machine it was for wasn't guaranteed 100% to support it. It goes in the Optiplex 760 that will be my test bench system and perhaps sold if I ever don't need it because one of those CPUs plus a cheap dGPU is very well usable for basic web browsing and that sort of thing.

I should get one for my Nvidia 775 board because I can't buy anything new or recently new at reasonable prices I may as well play with my old stuff, right?

15 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I should get one for my Nvidia 775 board because I can't buy anything new or recently new at reasonable prices I may as well play with my old stuff, right?

Does it support Core 2 Extreme? There were a few of those that were 775 IIRC. It’d pair well with an 8000 series card 

if core2duos are old then i am too.... 😞

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

31 minutes ago, adarw said:

Feels bad man.

Somewhat related, there was a thread related to LGA 1700 earlier today and I resisted saying I wouldn't upgrade from lga 2011 since bigger number better. (joke obviously)

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

Does it support Core 2 Extreme? There were a few of those that were 775 IIRC. It’d pair well with an 8000 series card 

Not sure, probably Abit IN932X MAX. I have a GTX 650 for it, don't have any old cards anymore and don't plan to get one.

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

Not sure, probably Abit IN932X MAX. I have a GTX 650 for it, don't have any old cards anymore and don't plan to get one.

Great motherboard when running correctly. However CPU support was lacking in the early BIOS releases. Make sure running bios version 15 and you should be able to run up to a QX9650

9 minutes ago, System51 said:

Funny thing is it's actually using less power than a actual Raspberry-Pi.

Would be pretty surprising if it really used less than 5W...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 9/6/2021 at 12:25 AM, sub68 said:

this reminds m,e of the thermaltake lanbox.

41JxQ-YhaOL._AC_SS450_.jpg

Thats because its the Lanbox Lite

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

22 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Which nVidia card? 6000 series? 8000 series? 

nah It has my Geforce 3 Ti 200 agp card in it. It's a socket 478 system with a 2ghz Northwood.

1 hour ago, Gianthamster said:

It's a socket 478 system with a 2ghz Northwood

Is that anything like the one i snagged from the club secretary's machine last week?

that's a PGA 478 too

PXL_20210928_192225329.thumb.jpg.83ec902a375a609c4ea7588b7eb54dae.jpg

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

22 hours ago, adarw said:

You old git!

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

19 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Is that anything like the one i snagged from the club secretary's machine last week?

that's a PGA 478 too

PXL_20210928_192225329.thumb.jpg.83ec902a375a609c4ea7588b7eb54dae.jpg

yep, thats a northwood chip.

21 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

You old git!

if im old then your really old.... lol

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

I'm "grew up with Apple IIC" old. To be fair it was in use until 1995 but still.

That's even older than the Tandy Coco 3 that I grew up with.  I do miss those clowns and balloons though. 

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

52 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

That's even older than the Tandy Coco 3 that I grew up with.  I do miss those clowns and balloons though. 

Moon lander.

The computer wasn't very intuitive for me to use as a kid so I didn't touch it much, I didn't really start using a computer until our Acer in 1995 (I was 10 then) when I started playing a few games on it.