Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

Mine would have been Barton then with the 400MHz FSB @Beerzerker

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

NVM discard last post. I think the highest FSB for T-Bred was 266MHz... therefore it would have to be a Barton.

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

4 minutes ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

NVM discard last post. I think the highest FSB for T-Bred was 266MHz...

So frighteningly long ago now I have no idea

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

4 hours ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

With the 333MHz FSB it's likely to be T-Bred

Barton was AMDs first core to reach 400Mhz FSB...

Well aware of that since I have an XP-3200+ that's an "E" chip (200/400) and it's also of a date before these chips were "Superlocked".

Any A's made after 0339 are locked, any of that date and earlier are not locked and mine happens to be an 0336 chip so I can change multipliers to an extent with it.

I don't know if you recall it but I'm a former member of a now defunct site that was called "Socket A Plus" from years ago.

@SimplyChunk Look at the very last digit on the first/top line of characters where the chip's info is, if it's a "C" it's a 133/266 chip, if it's a "D" it's a 166/333 chip and if it's an "E" then it's a 200/400 chip.
The one in the box I've got is a "D" chip.

I can also further decode the chip's info if I have both lines of code from the chip's label.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

I have an XP-3200+ that's an "E" chip (200/400) and it's also of a date before these chips were "Superlocked".

talking about the pencil trick, right? 

Just FYI I also have a superlocked chip. AMD Athlon XP 3000+..  w/ 400MHz FSB.

I also think most of the t-bred cores had that orange color PCB whereas barton was all green. 

The downside to some boards - some things touch:

20220907_075111.thumb.jpg.36fa15800f6d54d5e01af448b2df4f56.jpg

I had difficulties installing this card in the case because of that inductor.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

talking about the pencil trick, right? 

Just FYI I also have a superlocked chip. AMD Athlon XP 3000+..  w/ 400MHz FSB.

I also think most of the t-bred cores had that orange color PCB whereas barton was all green. 

No - "Superlocked" means making it so a pencil trick will NOT work, they started making them this way due to all the piracy (Fakes) that appeared because folks were modding these chips to be something it wasn't from the factory and selling them that way. This led to AMD developing and implementing the superlock of their chips.

Your chip's locked status depends on it's date.

Any chips made after 0339 are superlocked, those of or before that date are not like my XP-3200+ is.
All mobile chips regardless of date are not locked because they are mobile chips.
Even if for example, you have an XP-M 2800 that's dated 0409 (After) the superlock date it's not locked because of it being what it is - A mobile.

The chip's PCB color was random, there was no color actually assigned to either core type and either core could be of either color BUT the tendency for T-Breds is for them to be green, tan or orange, Bartons could be green or tan in color - I've never seen an orange Barton before.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

1 minute ago, Beerzerker said:

No - "Superlocked" means making it so a pencil trick will NOT work, they started making them this way due to all the piracy (Fakes) that appeared because folks were modding these chips to be something it wasn't from the factory and selling them that way. This led to AMD developing and implementing the superlock of their chips.

Any chips made after 0339 are superlocked, those of or before that date are not like my XP-3200+ is.
All mobile chips regardless of date are not locked because they are mobile chips.
Even if for example, you have an XP-M 2800 that's dated 0409 (After) the superlock date it's not locked because of it being what it is - A mobile.

The chip's PCB color was random, there was no color actually assigned to either core type and either core could be of either color BUT the tendency for T-Breds is for them to be green, tan or orange, Bartons could be green or tan in color - I've never seen an orange Barton before.

That must be why my GTX 980 Superclocked didn't get any faster when I drew on it with a pencil, smh. What a scam

5 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

I do know that my Sempron 2800+ is locked (a canyon was lasered between the L1 points), while my XP 1800+ and both Duron 1000 aren't. Shame the Duron hated FSB above 133MHz - was hopping to get it to run on as close to a 200MHz bus as possible (multiplier doesn't go low enough however).

Theoretically however it is possible to get the Sempron unlockable - however from what I've read its a finicky process.

PMSL

14 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Yeah that's what I meant to say, they disabled the pencil mod 

45 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

That must be why my GTX 980 Superclocked didn't get any faster when I drew on it with a pencil, smh. What a scam

Yeah, doesn't pay to go "Artisitic" on your hardware - It won't like it and the company that made it will be angry like Marvin.

Marvin.jpeg.b38ad935a72b2804d3509d1313ab291f.jpeg

Did a little OCing on my Athlon 64 6000+ today. Also tried using my monochrome monitor (which looked gorgeous, until I realized that the BIOS is a blue background, and the selected option is red or yellow, only the text and borders are white. So I was clueless of what BIOS option I was actually selecting, which I deemed unsuitable for actual use.)

image.png.b664eb6a1c44322710f0ce1efa5eaa02.png

image.thumb.png.b27c94ea6d8b7be247f65cc250d89bd0.png

Got it to 210mhz stably, unfortunately my lower end board has no voltage adjustment. Got it all the way to 218mhz FSB, which is like 3.3ghz, successfully ran Cinebench but crashed in UT2004. 210mhz seems to pass every test, so here it must stay.

Try a lower CPU multiplier with more bus speed and see what happens. 😉

19 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Try a lower CPU multiplier with more bus speed and see what happens. 😉

My Duron flew on its 266MHz fsb.

PMSL

Battle of two seriously obsolete HDDs, a 130 megabyte Seagate drive from around 1992 and a 1gb Microdrive from 2000 (when it would have cost $500). 3000 RPM versus 1,900 RPM. Microdrive first.

image.png.b091e3d86d3911ec4cf601c295c1a277.png

image.thumb.png.345042266e4a73adcb708702b8b10d1a.png.38f49fc1e88da2a0a27caaf09502a55d.png

So I finally found a home for that Western Digital Raptor X.  I may have gone a touch overboard...

20220909_215713.thumb.jpg.529a87f5163168863bd289b89b9d24f6.jpg

I got a hold of an Asus Striker II NSE board with Nvidia Nforce 790i SLI Chipset.  Added in an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850, 8 GB DDR3, 2x PNY Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+ cards in SLI, Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Sound Card, and some water cooling for the lolz. 

20220909_215423.thumb.jpg.f79b09aaa32668e799fe5016f0469b50.jpg

The plan was for a super sick Windows XP 64-bit build from the 2007-08ish era so I needed appropriate drives as well.  The DVD/CD Burner with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD playback was too hilarious to pass up.  And the combination Floppy/Multicard reader also fits the build. I'm really happy with how it has turned out so far.  

20220909_215444.thumb.jpg.d06b2c4aac2a8a95e44697c39d89c0ae.jpg

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

But can it run Crysis?

Maybe??  My internet is down at the moment but I assure you it will be tested.

2 hours ago, Schnoz said:

This is SICK! I absolutely love it! In fact, it was so fast for its time that it's more than capable for office multitasking today with a Windows 7 install, which is pretty neat. Out of curiosity though, would it be possible to put a Penryn chip in there (like the QX9770)? Is it supported by the motherboard?

Yes, it does support the QX9770. Unfortunately those are still selling for $500 for some reason that makes no sense to me.  I'll stick with the QX6850 that cost me next to nothing. 

5 hours ago, Schnoz said:

This is SICK! I absolutely love it! In fact, it was so fast for its time that it's more than capable for office multitasking today with a Windows 7 install, which is pretty neat. Out of curiosity though, would it be possible to put a Penryn chip in there (like the QX9770)? Is it supported by the motherboard?

My E8400 ran Win7 for gaming etc perfectly fine, in fact Win7 was generally a lot more stable than XP ever was AND I had access to all of my RAM. XP 64 was a disaster still so it wasn't an option back then.