New Computer or Upgrade Current?

Go to solution Solved by InfluxGaming,
51 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Get yourself a CX550M off of Newegg. More than enough power.

Screw the 1050 Ti. Buy a used GTX 780 for $120-150 instead. It'll outperform the 1050 Ti for less money, but use more power. Kepler is where the value is right now.

Xeon E3 1231V3, CPU problem solved. It's an i7-4770 without an iGPU and will work on your current board. Sell the i3 on eBay for about a stupid amount of money good God. You'll recoup a lot of that Xeon by selling the i3, holy crap.

Last thing I'd do is grab an SSD. That's the order in which I'd do things.

Can you replace a processor without replacing the motherboard as long as the motherboard has the right socket?

Hey Linus Community,

I want to upgrade my computer and I'm wondering whether or not you all think it'll be able to handle what I plan on using it for. I plan on using the upgraded/new system to play CS:GO and Fortnite, as well as edit 1080p 60fps videos in Adobe After Effects. I'm planning on buying an MSI 1050 TI Graphics Card as well as a new Power Supply Unit. Do you think this would be able to handle my ambitions with my system? Although I'm sure a new PC would be better, I'm going to college in just over a year and will not bring my desktop with me, so there isn't much of a point in spending money on a new computer if upgrading my current one will work. Also, I'm majoring in Computer Science, so I'll have plenty of money to spend on a nice rig after graduation. Anyways, I got my system for free from a neighbor who was moving, so I don't know all of the components brands and specifications. This is my current system...

• CPU
        Intel i3-4730
  • Motherboard
        ASUS B85M-E
  • RAM
        2x4GB DDR3
  • GPU
        Intel HD 6000 (Integrated Graphics)
  • Storage
        512GB HDD
  • PSU
        300 Watts

Hope to hear from you all soon, thanks!

•  

new psu -> new gpu -> new cpu -> ssd

for gaming/video editing,

what I would do is:

ssd -> new psu -> new gpu -> new cpu

just to get windows up to speed, as an SSD really helps with that, but it doesn't help at all in gaming or video editing performance.

you can also shove the SSD into a laptop or your future desktop, and same with your PSU, so buy a nice one. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

A GTX 1050 Ti and PSU would be a good stepping stone, and it would definitely allow you to run Fortnite and CS:GO at good settings with smooth framerates. I would also consider 16GB RAM and a used i7, though as long as you don't expect it to be a blazing video editing machine, 8GB and the i3 will do fine.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I would just sell the i3 cpu and buy a i5-4570 cpu if the price is right

500gb and a ssd buy a gpu

but for now you could try a 1050 gpu

26 minutes ago, InfluxGaming said:

It's not worth buying a deciated GPU right now due to pricing.

You can probably just pick up an R3 2200G + ASrock Pro 4 + DDR4(2800mhz+) and be alright for 1080p gaming.

If there's 0 chance of taking a desktop PC with you then just grab a GT 1030

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Screw the 1050 Ti. Buy a used GTX 780 for $120-150 instead. It'll outperform the 1050 Ti for less money, but use more power. Kepler is where the value is right now.

Xeon E3 1231V3, CPU problem solved. It's an i7-4770 without an iGPU and will work on your current board. Sell the i3 on eBay for about a stupid amount of money good God. You'll recoup a lot of that Xeon by selling the i3, holy crap.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

51 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Can you replace a processor without replacing the motherboard as long as the motherboard has the right socket?

12 hours ago, InfluxGaming said:

In most cases, yes. Check the motherboard manual for compatibility to be sure.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

In most cases, yes. Check the motherboard manual for compatibility to be sure.

Thank you!