Fortnite announces it's expanding to Mobile with iOS 11 & eventual Android support

ItsMitch

Fortnite has issued a press release a day ago announcing that it'll be moving towards a mobile game to add to its Fortnite franchise. It was confirmed to be a cross-platform and cross-progression

ANNOUNCING FORTNITE BATTLE ROYALE FOR MOBILE

By The Fortnite Team

Hey Fortnite Community,

Fortnite Battle Royale is coming to mobile devices! On phones and tablets, Fortnite is the same 100-player game you know from PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, and Mac. Same gameplay, same map, same content, same weekly updates. Starting Monday, you can sign-up for the Invite Event on iOS. Support for Android will be coming in the next few months.

In partnership with our friends at Sony, Fortnite Battle Royale will support Cross-Play and Cross Progression between PlayStation 4, PC, Mac, iOS and eventually Android. This means players across devices can squad up with friends and play together.

We believe this is the future of games. The same game on all platforms. Console quality graphics and action. Play when you want, where you want.

Epic Games did confirm that the cross-play will be purely optional to allow you to play with friends on the PC and consoles. Also, cross-platform with Sony and Xbox.

Pricing hasn't been confirmed as of yet but I'm assuming it's going to be free like their FBR.

SIGN-UP MONDAY TO JOIN THE INVITE LIST

Starting Monday, March 12, sign-up at www.Fortnite.com for the Invite Event on iOS. Email invites will start rolling out soon thereafter. When you are invited, you will receive an email with a link to download the game from the App Store. If you don’t receive an invite right away, don’t worry. We’ll be adding more players regularly over the coming months. Players who receive invites from Epic will also get friend invite codes to share with others. To participate, you will need an internet connection and iOS 11 on at least an iPhone 6S/SE, iPad Mini 4, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, iPad 2017 devices.

Stay tuned for more details on Monday. See you on the Battle Bus,

Fortnite Team

I'm just really happy with these new announcements, it's rare to see a decent port Console to mobile so I'm just having hopes that Epic will deliver.  They also went on to confirm on Twitter that it's opt-in in a comment to Ninja. 

8 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

They want to pit not just controller users against mouse and keyboard, but also touch screen users?

I see no problem with that

B-b-b-but mobile users can use controllers!!!

Either they have tons of optimization to do or the game is not gonna look too great on mobile...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Either they have tons of optimization to do or the game is not gonna look too great on mobile...

On iOS they can do a lot. Metal allows for some pretty retardedly complex and detailed games to be played on iPhone hardware. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

still waiting for this epic

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

On iOS they can do a lot. Metal allows for some pretty retardedly complex and detailed games to be played on iPhone hardware. 

Still not enough to make up the enormous performance disadvantage that mobile GPUs have due to a smaller die and lower power envelope

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Interesting, I wonder how it'll look compared to PC.

You know the death minigames from FNAF 2/3? Good place to place ypur expectations.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

You know the death minigames from FNAF 2/3? Good place to place ypur expectations.

Never played those, too much of a trend for me to enjoy it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Never played those, too much of a trend for me to enjoy it.

Watch Markimoo or FusionZ's playthroughs for them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Cool I guess. Why can't we have x86 64 bit phones though and let us dock them like a Nintendo Switch to play our games that way?

2 hours ago, Okjoek said:

Why can't we have x86 64 bit phones though and let us dock them like a Nintendo Switch to play our games that way?

Because x86 makes no sense on mobile otherwise.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

22 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Metal doesn't magically make your hardware better. All it really does is save you a bit of overhead on the CPU side of things.

18 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Still not enough to make up the enormous performance disadvantage that mobile GPUs have due to a smaller die and lower power envelope

Or the fact that iOS and Android devices are sharing both memory space and memory bandwidth on low power low speed memory between both the CPU and GPU...

9 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

So yet another PUBG concept that is spun off by a "clone".

What? 

Just now, SC2Mitch said:

What? 

Fortnight is a Battle Royal game, that had many similarities to PUBG, to include the lobby waiting for the game to start sending and the flying bus that enters the map.

After the success of PUBG, many Battle Royal games came out and are trying to capitalize on the success of PUBG. Fortnight is FTP, and is able to get there target audience that wants to play without the desire to pay.

This is Fall, PUBG already announced the development of a mobile game. So, it isn't surprising that fortnight it any other competitor would copy cat this as well.

Just now, Ryujin2003 said:

Fortnight is a Battle Royal game, that had many similarities to PUBG, to include the lobby waiting for the game to start sending and the flying bus that enters the map.

After the success of PUBG, many Battle Royal games came out and are trying to capitalize on the success of PUBG. Fortnight is FTP, and is able to get there target audience that wants to play without the desire to pay.

This is Fall, PUBG already announced the development of a mobile game. So, it isn't surprising that fortnight it any other competitor would copy cat this as well.

Lmao, I'm sorry but what? Remember when PUBG almost threatened legal action against Epic for Fortnite? 

https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/22/16349536/pubg-fortnite-battle-royale-battlegrounds

Remember that PUBG wasn't the first game to invent a battle royal. Remember Minecraft Hunger Games? Same concept. Minecraft can argue that PUBG stole from them, using the same old "But Fortnite stole from PUBG" excuse is bullshit. You can't invent the wheel again, Fortnite tweaked it, Just like PUBG did 

Just now, SC2Mitch said:

Lmao, I'm sorry but what? Remember when PUBG almost threatened legal action against Epic for Fortnite? 

https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/22/16349536/pubg-fortnite-battle-royale-battlegrounds

Remember that PUBG wasn't the first game to invent a battle royal. Remember Minecraft Hunger Games? Same concept. Minecraft can argue that PUBG stole from them, using the same old "But Fortnite stole from PUBG" excuse is bullshit. You can't invent the wheel again, Fortnite tweaked it, Just like PUBG did 

I'm not trying to say there should be any legal issue. I'm trying to point out that there seems to be a lack of uniqueness and creativity. Let's just copy things from other people, but make it "feel" different.

Look at Pixark.... An Ark variant of Minecraft and all those others. It gets a little boring after a while.

Your right. No one is reinventing the wheel. There doesn't seem to be anything "new" or really refreshing.

Not saying there should be legal issues. Just trying to point out how boring this repetitive cycle is.

20 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Interesting, I wonder how it'll look compared to PC.

Not much different I'd imagine. Smartphones today have no shortage of shader power, though other factors like fill rate and memory bandwidth are going to be the primary handicaps, as well as possibly the cpu. Shadow maps are pretty heavy on the memory bandwidth, which is why they're seldom seen even today.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Getting really tired of hearing about Fortnite and PUBG. Am I the only one? anyone?

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

1 hour ago, 2Buck said:

Getting really tired of hearing about Fortnite and PUBG. Am I the only one? anyone?

Ehh, I don't really play or watch a lot of the "popular" games, so I could care less.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

But why? I have a hard time believing it will be great to play without a controller. And it's not like I'm gonna whip out a controller when I'm on the toilet, waiting for the buss. You know the times when you usually play something on your phone.

I can't be the only one that prefers single player casual style games on my phone. 

If I wanna play something more serious or multiplayer game I very much prefer my dear pc. Or even a console.