Doesn't G-SYNC make Mantle kind of pointless?

ManOfDisguise

I was just wondering about this. Mantle is supposed to give AMD cards a performance boost in games(so more fps) and of course people with AMD cards wont have G-SYNC so they are stuck with Mantle unless they switch to Nvidia. But think about this:

Why have higher framerates in games(Mantle) when G-SYNC matches the refresh rate of your monitor to the fps you get meaning even if you have low-ish framerates it will always be smooth? G-SYNC gets rid of tearing and stuttering. Mantle, while again, will increase performance in games, does not.

Mantle:

+better framerate

-tearing and stutering will sitll be present

Far as I know the cons outweigh the pros

The only downside to G-SYNC is that its too expensive for most of us. Well least for me it is.

Again this is strictly speaking gaming!

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

That's.... not how it works.

The monitor's refresh rate being matched to your FPS means that there will be no frame tearing. That's it. If it's 10FPS, it won't be smooth. If it's 20FPS (in some games), it probably won't be smooth. 

Mantle also adds other features like The TruSound thing (which is innovative, no matter what people say), and enables developers to code for multiple APIs at once since Mantle can communicate with DirectX. 

This all relevant to gaming. 

Mantle boosts every AMD GPU's performance from 7XXX onward. From 7770 to 290X. It will enable lower end GPUs to either play at higher settings or achieve more playable frame rates.

G-Sync won't matter for lower end Nvidia GPUs. Because they can't cause frame tearing because they can't produce 60+FPS frame rates anyway.

Mantle affects a lot more AMD users than G-Sync affects Nvidia users.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

yes thats why they are compaired so often to eachother, the try to solve the same problem but with a different sollution

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

G SYNC is proprietary and hurts them. It will die off like Sony's SD cards or Mini Walkman discs. Unless Nvidia pulls their shit together, maybe working more with companies to get more panels that are G-SYNC read to work, maybe it might work in the end.

That's like saying "silky smooth" 30 FPS...

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

I prefer PhysX to both.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

It depends how much of a performance boost mantle gives, also mantle is a good thing, and g-sync is a good thing, both combined would be an amazing thing.

yes thats why they are compaired so often to eachother, the try to solve the same problem but with a different sollution

no, they aren't solutions to each other at all. I guess if you speak in terms of getting a better experience on lower end cards, yes. But if you are talking straight about what they try to aliviate, they are completely different.

Nope, Mantle is still better, from what we know at least.

Mantle boosts the amount of FPS you get ingame;G-Sync makes your game look smoother and faster, but doesn't boost your performance.

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

G-SYNC won't make 10FPS as smooth as 60FPS. That is not how it works.

Mantle gives more FPS(120,75)

G-Sync gives better quality at 60(think of it like that)(a fixed frame rate)

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." -- Al Capone.

Nope, Mantle is still better, from what we know at least.

Mantle boosts the amount of FPS you get ingame;G-Sync makes your game look smoother and faster, but doesn't boost your performance.

So basically they both do the same.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

no, they aren't solutions to each other at all. I guess if you speak in terms of getting a better experience on lower end cards, yes. But if you are talking straight about what they try to aliviate, they are completely different.

yes, but NVIDIA tries to solve tearing by making the GPU and panel to work in harmony

AMD optimises the API to make it dish out more FPS, so if you always get 60+ so with V-SYNCH you wont have tearing either, but you are locked to a sertaint FPS

thats what my understanding of the matter. it could be 100% wrong

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

They're two completely different things! Mantle is a new language made to be more efficient, take advantage of more power from the hardware, they shouldn't be compared at all.

That's.... not how it works.

The monitor's refresh rate being matched to your FPS means that there will be no frame tearing. That's it. If it's 10FPS, it won't be smooth. If it's 20FPS (in some games), it probably won't be smooth. 

Mantle also adds other features like The TruSound thing (which is innovative, no matter what people say), and enables developers to code for multiple APIs at once since Mantle can communicate with DirectX. 

This all relevant to gaming. 

Mantle boosts every AMD GPU's performance from 7XXX onward. From 7770 to 290X. It will enable lower end GPUs to either play at higher settings or achieve more playable frame rates.

G-Sync won't matter for lower end Nvidia GPUs. Because they can't cause frame tearing because they can't produce 60+FPS frame rates anyway.

Mantle affects a lot more AMD users than G-Sync affects Nvidia users.

^This

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

ooh ok now i kind of get it more. i think

so G-SYNC removes tearing and stuterring and all that but performance doesnt improve.

Mantle- performance improves but tearing is still there

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

yes, but NVIDIA tries to solve tearing by making the GPU and panel to work in harmony

AMD *optimizes the API to make it dish out more FPS, so if you always get 60+ so with *V-SYNC you wont have tearing either, but you are locked to a *certain FPS

thats what my understanding of the matter. it could be 100% wrong

sorry had to make a couple corrections to your post.

But no that's not what AMD wanted to show off, they wanted to show that they could achieve a higher framerate, that's all. Gives them a bigger E-penis on benchmarks

so G-SYNC removes tearing and stuterring and all that but performance doesnt improve.

Yes so if you can get higher fps, you can then increase graphics quality overall (which will decrease fps).

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

isnt g sync best suited for rigs with lower specs who dont pump out high fps? frankly the whole g sync still confuses me because I still dont know who those monitors are really for. 

if u think mantle's only objective is higher FPS

then u should read more about it

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Remembering that G-Sync does not remove stuttering under 30fps, it only works above that level. So it does remove it to a certain degree, but in certain situations you will not be able to take advantage of it.

isnt g sync best suited for rigs with lower specs who dont pump out high fps? frankly the whole g sync still confuses me because I still dont know who those monitors are really for. 

No it isnt, the rig needs to be able to do 30fps or better otherwise it doesnt work, which means that it needs to be a mid range rig or higher. Its only real useful in situations where you sit in between 30-60 fps, above and below that it is almost useless.

Part of this never made sense to me and is a catch 22 if that is their intent

Have enough money for a Gsync monitor but not enough for a decent graphics card?

Error: 410

Part of this never made sense to me and is a catch 22 if that is their intent

Have enough money for a Gsync monitor but not enough for a decent graphics card?

That second sentence is T-Shirt material. 

People who gets AMD cards also wants to mine coins.nVidia is only good for video editing, CAD and games etc.

They're two completely different things! Mantle is a new language made to be more efficient, take advantage of more power from the hardware, they shouldn't be compared at all.

No Mantle is an API (application programming interface).. Not a language.. It is most likely written in C++..

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald