Powering off at night

HesCalledTheStig

I recently moved into a smaller apartment where I am unable to have a dedicated room just for my PC.  I have had to set my gaming rig up in my bedroom.  The issue is the RGB fans and AIO cooler that cannot be switched off.  If I leave it on at night, its too bright and I cant sleep.  My question is, if I turn the PC off every night and back on in the morning, is it going to wear my components any faster?  Thanks in advance!

No, it will not shorten the life at all. Any impact one way or another over the life of a component is near 0 and within margin of error most likely.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Desktop hardware is designed with the intent to be powered off at the end of each day (or most days)...who told you it's suppose to remain on 24/7? If you read it on the internet you should know the internet isn't always right.

The only things that will get worn out from this are components that have physically moving parts, such as fans and HDDs. However, if you leave them running, they'll also get worn down, that's just the nature of mechanical components. 

It's not something you need to worry about though, PCs aren't as fragile as people often think they are. I'd just advise shutting down properly and not just holding down the power button to shut the system down. That, or use sleep mode. 

Sleep mode?

If your lights aren't turning off in sleep mode you need to change some motherboard settings in the BIOS because it's using a higher power sleep mode that is kind of pointless IMO. The only light that should stay on in sleep mode is the power light.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Desktop hardware is designed with the intent to be powered off at the end of each day (or most days)...who told you it's suppose to remain on 24/7? If you read it on the internet you should know the internet isn't always right.

Oh, the irony. 

The only parts that COULD have issues with longevity are old hard drives that are getting to the point where sheer age alone is causing the metals to change and fall out of spec of what the drive needs to work. These really old drives can sometimes die when you power them on and off a lot.

Course these drives are over 20 years old so they can also die from just the natural aging processes as well. 

Your'e thinking in mechanical terms , that parts heating and cooling/starting and stopping causes wear. But most computer parts are solid state and have no mechanical wear at all. So yeah it'll be fine.

I vote shutting it down, your computer will likely last even longer!

Nice username, btw. :)

Resident smart (car) fanatic and lover of trijet airliners. One day you'll probably see me on one of those "Hoarders" shows, only I'm buried under a pile of 50 smart cars.

Rigs (all named after aircraft )

- DC-10-60 (GTX 1060 Gaming Machine)
- Falcon 550TI (GTX 550 TI Fun ITX Build)

- Legacy 630 (Convertible Desktop/Laptop Experiment)

- A340-750 (Dual Xeon GTX 750 Sleeper)

1 minute ago, violentnumeric said:

Sleep mode?

If your lights aren't turning off in sleep mode you need to change some motherboard settings in the BIOS because it's using a higher power sleep mode that is kind of pointless IMO. The only light that should stay on in sleep mode is the power light.

I have never used sleep mode.  Again, I was told it was bad for the computer.  I apologize for sounding dumb.  I'm new to PC building.  I have a lot of friends and family that are tech savvy and none ever agree on the same thing.  I get a lot of conflicting information and it just confuses me.

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Oh, the irony. 

If there's a mistake in my explanation you're going to have to spell it out for me because I only see one questionably wrong thing with it.

Just now, Ms Mercedes - Trijet Girl said:

I vote shutting it down, your computer will likely last even longer!

Nice username, btw. :)

Thanks.  Big Top Gear fan :)

Just now, Windows7ge said:

If there's a mistake in my explanation you're going to have to spell it out for me because I only see one questionably wrong thing with it.

Didn't say it was wrong, it's just ironic that you explained something to someone on the internet, then told them not to believe what they read on the internet. Found it funny.

i shut my PC down every night for the past few years, still running fine. i have an LED on my board that doesn't turn off though 

2 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

I have never used sleep mode.  Again, I was told it was bad for the computer.  I apologize for sounding dumb.  I'm new to PC building.  I have a lot of friends and family that are tech savvy and none ever agree on the same thing.  I get a lot of conflicting information and it just confuses me.

sleep mod eis good. power off is good. The only reason i vote for power down is that it gives windows the opportunity to update daily 

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

9 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

I have a lot of friends and family that are tech savvy and none ever agree on the same thing.  I get a lot of conflicting information and it just confuses me.

In situations like this I always go off and do my own research. Find reputable sources where multiple people agree on a single answer.

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Didn't say it was wrong, it's just ironic that you explained something to someone on the internet, then told them not to believe what they read on the internet. Found it funny.

Ooohh...that is mildly humorous. Kind of makes you want to question everything you read before taking the authors word for it and get a second opinion.

24 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

I recently moved into a smaller apartment where I am unable to have a dedicated room just for my PC.  I have had to set my gaming rig up in my bedroom.  The issue is the RGB fans and AIO cooler that cannot be switched off.  If I leave it on at night, its too bright and I cant sleep.  My question is, if I turn the PC off every night and back on in the morning, is it going to wear my components any faster?  Thanks in advance!

lol running your PC constantly will only decrease life span and it will build up more dust. You should be turning it off whenever you are not using it, not only for the reasons I just mentioned, but for security purposes (like if someone breaks in they will have full access instantly)  

My PC is on 24/7/365 and has been that way for several years and never had an issue, Just depends on who you ask.

Powering off your system will not affect it at all.  As long as you do a normal shutdown, it won't affect your system at all.

Generally when my computer is running stable and I'm not trying to overclock I only shut down my computer a couple times a month, if that. Sleep mode all the way.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

2 hours ago, Looting said:

My PC is on 24/7/365 and has been that way for several years and never had an issue, Just depends on who you ask.

I mean if it works for you, you're certainly doing something right c:

How much is of a difference between a proper shutdown and hibernate, really small isn't?

i dont think you should be worried about damaging components turning it off might make them last longer than running it 24/7

4 minutes ago, HesCalledTheStig said:

Like I said, I apologize for being new to this and asking a dumb question.  Seems you cant even ask a question on a forum anymore without getting snarky replies.  So yeah, I'll throw a blanket over the PC I've spent well over a grand on.  Sounds like a good solution.  Thanks for your infinite wisdom!

Holy crap, just turn it off night and it will solve all your problems. It's not going to damage your PC or wear it out any faster than leaving it on.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒