Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Well.. Shit. Asked a local bodyshop if they had any openings.

The owner hired his own kid instead. (Understandable) 

But he might have a Learn-as-i-go spot for me in a few months.

Not getting my hopes up :/

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

16 minutes ago, techswede said:

Well.. Shit. Asked a local bodyshop if they had any openings.

The owner hired his own kid instead. (Understandable) 

But he might have a Learn-as-i-go spot for me in a few months.

Not getting my hopes up :/

good luck

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

2 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

good luck

We'll see. I'll hear back from the guy in june/july if he has anything. 

Its the only place in the area that didn't go "No degree no job" 

Fucking hate how a piece of paper stands in my way

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

3 minutes ago, techswede said:

We'll see. I'll hear back from the guy in june/july if he has anything. 

Its the only place in the area that didn't go "No degree no job" 

Fucking hate how a piece of paper stands in my way

Once you get experience nobody is gonna give two dickshits about a degree.... unless you are applying to a government job. The problem is getting that experience. When I went to school I just took the trade classes because screw doing 80 level math, english, and psych or soc for a requisite. And the applied welding program was a joke from what I heard. You don't do tig welding for auto repair. You use wire feed for exhaust work... thats it. So I didn't get a degree. Now that I have experience and could get ASE certified if I wanted, anybody will hire me.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

19 minutes ago, vetali said:

Once you get experience nobody is gonna give two dickshits about a degree.... unless you are applying to a government job. The problem is getting that experience. When I went to school I just took the trade classes because screw doing 80 level math, english, and psych or soc for a requisite. And the applied welding program was a joke from what I heard. You don't do tig welding for auto repair. You use wire feed for exhaust work... thats it. So I didn't get a degree. Now that I have experience and could get ASE certified if I wanted, anybody will hire me.

Yeah. I dropped out towards the end of school because of trouble at home. But i've been through 90% of shop class, With praise from my teachers..

And done a shitload of bodywork for friends. I know how to take a dent out without harming the damn paint and i can form steel by eye..

But because i don't have that little piece of paper i won't get squat since all applications mostly have to go through websites.

I'm also a pretty decent mechanic (Not automotive technician because i'm rusty on the electrical stuff. )

But noo. I had to drop out and work excavation instead.. 

So i know i could get hired without a degree. But in excavation.. And honestly i'd rather shoot m'self

17 minutes ago, techswede said:

Yeah. I dropped out towards the end of school because of trouble at home. But i've been through 90% of shop class, With praise from my teachers..

And done a shitload of bodywork for friends. I know how to take a dent out without harming the damn paint and i can form steel by eye..

But because i don't have that little piece of paper i won't get squat since all applications mostly have to go through websites.

I'm also a pretty decent mechanic (Not automotive technician because i'm rusty on the electrical stuff. )

But noo. I had to drop out and work excavation instead.. 

So i know i could get hired without a degree. But in excavation.. And honestly i'd rather shoot m'self

If somebody has an online application I don't apply. Simple as that. Keep nagging that aforementioned place... thats a good way to get some experience right there.

I'm still exploring other opportunities. I'd like to get into a better paying trade. I've looked into two different trades, electrician and hvac. Both involve two things I don't like: heights and being under buildings. So if I could find a middle ground, that'd be great. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

1 minute ago, vetali said:

If somebody has an online application I don't apply. Simple as that. Keep nagging that aforementioned place... thats a good way to get some experience right there.

I'm still exploring other opportunities. I'd like to get into a better paying trade. I've looked into two different trades, electrician and hvac. Both involve two things I don't like: heights and being under buildings. So if I could find a middle ground, that'd be great. 

90% of the places around here are online only. Sometimes the smaller shops take applications in the shop but others will just turn people away :/

Hah. We've got that in common then. Heights can fuck off and crawling underneath a building sucks. (especially since i'm terrified of spiders)

I'm currently a student so any trade is a better paying trade. But good luck on the job hunt. God knows its needed nowadays.

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

too many pictures of nasties..

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

Its amazing. You actually gonna watch it or have you already nope'd outta there?

I noped out soo hard about thirty seconds in. Just.. Ergh. And its already a case of "Hello~ nightmares"

2 minutes ago, techswede said:

90% of the places around here are online only. Sometimes the smaller shops take applications in the shop but others will just turn people away :/

Hah. We've got that in common then. Heights can fuck off and crawling underneath a building sucks. (especially since i'm terrified of spiders)

I'm currently a student so any trade is a better paying trade. But good luck on the job hunt. God knows its needed nowadays.

Yeah... we don't have big spiders here but we got black widows (pansy spider imo), wolf spiders.. thats about it for threatening spiders. Garden spiders are bros though. I try to keep one outside my window in the fall to keep bugs away. 

Its mainly the small spaces I don't like though

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

Fair enough. The video is amazing thouhgh. You might appriciate his rant about public restrooms.

I'll check out some of his other videos later^^ Binge watching a show atm

Just now, vetali said:

Yeah... we don't have big spiders here but we got black widows (pansy spider imo), wolf spiders.. thats about it for threatening spiders. Garden spiders are bros though. I try to keep one outside my window in the fall to keep bugs away. 

Its mainly the small spaces I don't like though

Your spiders are actually deadly.. I feel like a wimp for being scared of our local ones.. 

For me its the combination of tight spaces + risk of spiders. (Oh and badgers) 

Really hard to get out of there quickly 

Just now, techswede said:

I'll check out some of his other videos later^^ Binge watching a show atm

Your spiders are actually deadly.. I feel like a wimp for being scared of our local ones.. 

For me its the combination of tight spaces + risk of spiders. (Oh and badgers) 

Really hard to get out of there quickly 

A tip for spiders, they don't like brake clean. Instantly die pretty much. Or at least immobilizes them. Then you can do what my co-worker does and light them on fire.

Just now, vetali said:

A tip for spiders, they don't like brake clean. Instantly die pretty much. Or at least immobilizes them. Then you can do what my co-worker does and light them on fire.

Sweet. Already have some in my apartment xD

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

So I'm pretty sure I've gone and glazed my brake pads (actually i think I've glazed over the glaze 3 times now)  and they're 2/3 of the way worn out so should I just go and get some replacements or is there anything I can do for them as it stands?

Can you still stop properly.

Yes - No problem

No - Change em

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I can stop, the pedal just needs more pressure. I did have a quite sudden stop yesterday that I think did the pads in.

Well i shouldn't judge

The front pads on my golf are on the way out as well. Still waiting for my monthly grant so i can get a replacement set.

Got a week long break coming up where i can change them.

Rear pads are still good though. 

Thinking about new discs as well but anyone that remembers my posts when i changed the rears knows i hate doing it on this car.

5 minutes ago, techswede said:

Well i shouldn't judge

The front pads on my golf are on the way out as well. Still waiting for my monthly grant so i can get a replacement set.

Got a week long break coming up where i can change them.

Rear pads are still good though. 

Thinking about new discs as well but anyone that remembers my posts when i changed the rears knows i hate doing it on this car.

Solution? New car.

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

My disks on the front are still like brand new and haven't ever been machined which I'm thankful for. I think I'll just go pull the trigger on some cheap Duralast ceramic pads and toss em in next weekend.

Mine are kind of fine as well. They have a barely discernible lip though. I'm going to have to take a wheel off and see which brake system they put on my car.. Gotta love when a company changes brake supplier mid-production run.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Solution? New car.

Solution? yes.

Economically viable right now.. no

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

I believe mine are Delco. I might see if the dealer has some factory ceramic pads.

Mine are either Lucas or Bosch

Most likely Lucas since the rears were Lucas. But who knows

sorry this isnt related to cars but i am watching i know that voice (documentary about voice acting) and its really good 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Steal a new car? :D

I'd like to keep it for longer than two days xD

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

This 240Z looks soooo good. Hate the stretched tires but what can you do about it..

Not sure what's with the exposed hose trend.. Two cable ties is all it would take to tie em up

3 minutes ago, techswede said:

Not sure what's with the exposed hose trend.. Two cable ties is all it would take to tie em up

Only a matter of time for the next trend, people cutting the hoses while the car is parked.