Vr in 2018?

Badger906

I'm very tempted by a rift as it's only £400 with the controllers. But not sure on the state of vr these days.

You guys who already own a vive or rift actually use them past the 1st week excitement? Contagion vr is what's really giving me the itch 

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

i don't own one but i tried it a couple of times

if the games you like the most are supported in vr buy it

I borrowed and HTC VIve from a friend for 2 weeks and it is nice indeed, but there are not enough games that support it and it is not like over the top amazing. A good curved monitor with tobii eye tracking was more exciting for me and still is ;)

|| CPU: I7 6950X @4.6 (1.35V) || Cooler: CUSTOM EK LOOP || Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10

|| GPU: 2x Vega 64 Strix OC @1762 / 1100 MHz || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Royal RGB 3200 Mhz ||

HDD: Segate Barracuda 3TB || SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 512 GB || PSU: Corsair HX 1200 W || Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal || Fans: Corsair HD120 (x4) / BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 (x4) || Monitor: ACER XF27HU ||

Second Monitor: BENQ RL2455HM || Mouse: Logitech G502 Pretus Core || Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Headphones: Sennheiser IE80 ||

Buildlog expirience swapping to x99: 

i don't know about the experience of actually owning one, but i tried it a couple of times. It's cool but in no way would i like to game on it on a regular basis and i doubt anyone does.

also not happening for me (yet). VR games with shooting some discs or wielding a wand at someone else are fun for a few minutes but that's about it then. There are games that do VR well like Racing sims or Space games. But the more complex the games get and the more you need to have some source of information on the side to look stuff up and switch to a browser window (like in Elite Dangerous for example), the immersion gets killed because you have to remove the VR-headset. Mabye in the future if it still around then.

Like @joshuawi99 said, a large curved monitor is good enough and doesn't make you puke once the frames drop below a certain threshold :-)

I tried Flight Sym in VR. Man, at some point I really thought that I was in the aircraft. It's really nice but with games that shows up it's real potential. Doesn't worth wasting money to fool around. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

I have had my Rift for a few weeks and I still use it daily. There are some great games for example Onward, Lone Echo, Robo recall (included with rift), Pavlov vr, EVE Valkyrie warzone, keep talking and nobody explodes, Arizona sunshine, ETS2 all racing sims, some flying sims. whether its worth it for you or not, it depends. For me it was worth it for the sole reason that I love simracing and vr takes it to a whole new level. Another factor is whether or not you get sick. If possible you should try a friends VR glasses before investing. I'm lucky in that regard, I can play for hours with the glasses on and even frame drops dont seem to bother me at all. I can definetely recommend it if you have the PC to run it.

Winning an argument with a woman step by step

step one - talk to her

step two - fight with her for 2 hours even if you are really right

step three - admit that she is right for the sake of your safety

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

The euro truck 2 with htc vive and Logitech wheel and pedals was the best vr experience i have had. 

The Vive Pro should come out this year, lowering the price of the original vive.

The vive has better roomscale experiences and 360 tracking, the oculus better seated experience.

Just now, Almostbauws said:

The vive has better roomscale experiences and 360 tracking, the oculus better seated experience.

Oculus rift can also do roomscale with just the 2 sensors, and I can say from my experience it works just fine. You are right about the Vive pro. It might even be same price as the original vive is atm and then the original price could be dropped to same level as the rift. Ive tried the vive and atleast IMO the oculus touch controllers are much nicer to hold in your hands for extended periods of time. Only downside with the rift is no inside-out tracking which means you have to always carry the sensors with you if you want to take it on the go.

step one - talk to her

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

8 minutes ago, henkka_scorpio said:

I have had my Rift for a few weeks and I still use it daily. There are some great games for example Onward, Lone Echo, Robo recall (included with rift), Pavlov vr, EVE Valkyrie warzone, keep talking and nobody explodes, Arizona sunshine, ETS2 all racing sims, some flying sims. whether its worth it for you or not, it depends. For me it was worth it for the sole reason that I love simracing and vr takes it to a whole new level. Another factor is whether or not you get sick. If possible you should try a friends VR glasses before investing. I'm lucky in that regard, I can play for hours with the glasses on and even frame drops dont seem to bother me at all. I can definetely recommend it if you have the PC to run it.

I also love sim racing. Which was anotherselling point for me.

The only thing that ever held me backnwas motion sickness. Used to get it back when 1080p 28" monitors were the latest tech and I bought one straight away only to go back to a 22" shortly after. But I'm fine with my pressure.

None of my friends have vr yet as they don't want to get motion sick either.. 

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

1 minute ago, Badger906 said:

I also love sim racing. Which was anotherselling point for me.

The only thing that ever held me backnwas motion sickness. Used to get it back when 1080p 28" monitors were the latest tech and I bought one straight away only to go back to a 22" shortly after. But I'm fine with my pressure.

None of my friends have vr yet as they don't want to get motion sick either.. 

As far as I have heard from others, you build a tolerance to it. First time you try, you can maybe play for 20 minutes, the next day maybe half an hour and the day after that a little longer. One of my friends got motion sickness fast the first time he tried it  but later could use his headset for over an hour without any signs. If you do decide to step into the VR world, I definetely recommend picking up Onward. The community is mostly very nice and its a really great game with full roomscale support. Also if you need any help or want to ask any questions or just want someone to play in VR with, feel free to add me on steam - henkka_scorpio ;)  

step one - talk to her

Well, IMO we need more ""real"" games in VR to make ot worth it - like fallout 4 and doom that were already good and have VR versions that enable a new experience.

For me the real deal will begin when a AAA game will be made FOR VR, and not just ported.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

21 hours ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

also not happening for me (yet). VR games with shooting some discs or wielding a wand at someone else are fun for a few minutes but that's about it then. There are games that do VR well like Racing sims or Space games. But the more complex the games get and the more you need to have some source of information on the side to look stuff up and switch to a browser window (like in Elite Dangerous for example), the immersion gets killed because you have to remove the VR-headset. Mabye in the future if it still around then.

Like @joshuawi99 said, a large curved monitor is good enough and doesn't make you puke once the frames drop below a certain threshold :-)

With the newest Oculus software you can open browser windows in VR, even in a game. 

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

With the newest Oculus software you can open browser windows in VR, even in a game. 

yep I know - still not cutting it - sadly - but at least a step in the right direction