can a school(usa) sue for server space use

aconfusedpcgamer
4 hours ago, aconfusedpcgamer said:

today my school pulled me and 30 others out of class to tell us that we had 1 week to remove all the games and other items of our z drive (personal school drive) they said if we did not that they would take  legal action can they do this?

considering this is a public school server

First, we are not lawyers here, you need to ask a lawyer.

Secondly, we have no clue what state or city you are in, laws are different from state to state, province to province.

In all likely hood, they just wanted to scare you, and it worked. Its a common practice.

Why dont you do as you are told?

People sue for really minor things. I could sue you and your entire family plus your dog and pet lizard, just because you blinked in the direction of the sun.

The solution is quite simple, take all your data off the schools cloud. The games should probably not be there in the first place. You could just install those games on a free cloud or paid for cloud.

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I'm more confused as to why they are saying they will take 'Legal Action' instead of 'Or we'll delete it for you'. o.O  

Why you confused on that?

They wanted to scare the kid, and it worked.

12 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

First, we are not lawyers here, you need to ask a lawyer.

Secondly, we have no clue what state or city you are in, laws are different from state to state, province to province.

In all likely hood, they just wanted to scare you, and it worked. Its a common practice.

Why dont you do as you are told?

People sue for really minor things. I could sue you and your entire family plus your dog and pet lizard, just because you blinked in the direction of the sun.

The solution is quite simple, take all your data off the schools cloud. The games should probably not be there in the first place. You could just install those games on a free cloud or paid for cloud.

I just saying I don't havecrap on there now but I do have friends that have stuff still.

also wd external hdd works well for transferring games around they cant stop me there

oof me daddy

34 minutes ago, aconfusedpcgamer said:

I just saying I don't havecrap on there now but I do have friends that have stuff still.

also wd external hdd works well for transferring games around they cant stop me there

Good on the external hdd angle.

So your friends actually wanna sue, or are you/your friends just weighing your options?

The title states school, so your school wants to sue.

Well schools do not have deep pockets, so it'd be a waste of money for them.

If anything, the school should pay for cloud, or give students external hdd, or usb sticks.

I dont see why the school would even want or need a cloud, unless its module based where your on a computer doing module tests after you read the appropriate material. Technical college do that.

2 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I'm more confused as to why they are saying they will take 'Legal Action' instead of 'Or we'll delete it for you'. o.O  

It's probably administrators saying that and not the IT staff. IT probably just wants the stuff off because games take up a lot of space.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

50 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

If anything, the school should pay for cloud, or give students external hdd, or usb sticks.

Why? Schoolwork doesn't take up a lot of space. The issue is that kids are installed/storing games, which they shouldn't be doing at school anyway.

The only class that would use the same amount of space as a game would be a media/video editing class, but that would be accounted for.

The school shouldn't have to shell out for HDDs or even USB drives, should be on the students to pay for

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Well then why would they even have cloud in the first place.

Maybe its just a scam the school is pushing unto the parents to justify the costs.

Who knows.

13 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

Why? Schoolwork doesn't take up a lot of space. The issue is that kids are installed/storing games, which they shouldn't be doing at school anyway.

The only class that would use the same amount of space as a game would be a media/video editing class, but that would be accounted for.

The school shouldn't have to shell out for HDDs or even USB drives, should be on the students to pay for

my school has like a 10000$ server set in the basement.

14 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

we have 3d modeling, coding classes and other tech classes

oof me daddy

I don't get why you'd think it's okay to store games on your school server because you're bored and you don't participate in class. Just remove the games. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

13 minutes ago, aconfusedpcgamer said:

we have 3d modeling, coding classes and other tech classes

3d models don't take up a lot of space.

If steam to to be believed it would take roughly 100-200 high fidelity models to equal the size of one install of cuphead. and if multiple students have it, then yes it will add up very quick.

regardless of how expensive their server is, space is not infinite.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

15 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

I don't get why you'd think it's okay to store games on your school server because you're bored and you don't participate in class. Just remove the games. 

listen they don't teach they are more concerned with peaching college is great college is good you should go to college.

Nothing you learn here is actually useful real life skills the most realistic class I have had is a math lab to learn how to balance a check book and basic irl math skills.

I do my work in there and at the tech school I go to that's run by the state in fact I'm actually qualified to work in naturel gas and will start at 18 to 20$ an hour at 18 year old.

I'm pretty Shure I have it set for now considering most people in my town make around 10 to 14$ an hour

oof me daddy

1 hour ago, aconfusedpcgamer said:

my school has like a 10000$ server set in the basement.

I'm a part time Network Admin at a very small school district (500 students and staff/faculty is good estimate) and our network equipment is easily around $100k in cost. Now you would think that we have a lot of network storage right? Nope, we have like 1TB total on the storage server because we don't need to store anything massive. The worst perpetrators of storage hogging are honestly teachers putting a lot of photos and videos on their share. 30 students putting copies of games on the server that can easily go over 10GB per game are going to take up that space very quickly. That's probably how they found out, they were about to run out of space and found the users taking up the most space.

43 minutes ago, aconfusedpcgamer said:

listen they don't teach they are more concerned with peaching college is great college is good you should go to college.

Nothing you learn here is actually useful real life skills the most realistic class I have had is a math lab to learn how to balance a check book and basic irl math skills.

I do my work in there and at the tech school I go to that's run by the state in fact I'm actually qualified to work in naturel gas and will start at 18 to 20$ an hour at 18 year old.

I'm pretty Shure I have it set for now considering most people in my town make around 10 to 14$ an hour

I can guarantee a lot of that is useful in various different ways in higher education and the careers that result from it. Nothing wrong with tech school though, I went to one as well for Electronics and IT.

Oh, and I should mention that they could sue your parents for you improperly using the district's network in a way that violates their usage policy that your parents agreed to on your behalf.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

8 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I'm a part time Network Admin at a very small school district (500 students and staff/faculty is good estimate) and our network equipment is easily around $100k in cost. Now you would think that we have a lot of network storage right? Nope, we have like 1TB total on the storage server because we don't need to store anything massive. The worst perpetrators of storage hogging are honestly teachers putting a lot of photos and videos on their share. 30 students putting copies of games on the server that can easily go over 10GB per game are going to take up that space very quickly. That's probably how they found out, they were about to run out of space and found the users taking up the most space.

I can guarantee a lot of that is useful in various different ways in higher education and the careers that result from it. Nothing wrong with tech school though, I went to one as well for Electronics and IT.

I just said the server is like 1000k  I didn't say they only have one the have like 4 in a room and there packed with drives I mean packed.

also I just don't think college is very useful for getting a job the fact that your not garneted a job is bad in like tech school the fact that most tech schools have sponsors looking for employees pretty consistently  

oof me daddy

31 minutes ago, aconfusedpcgamer said:

qualified to work in naturel gas

pumping? xD j/k

Also do they teach english or poetry classes at your school?

I remember learning typing in school, cant remember what grade it was though.

Also I took wood shop and mechanics, loved those classes.

BTW if you want to make big money, work the oil patch! I have friends who work offshore platforms, man the places I could go with 21 days off.

1 minute ago, aconfusedpcgamer said:

I just said the server is like 1000k  I didn't say they only have one the have like 4 in a room and there packed with drives I mean packed.

Unless you know for sure each drive caddy has a drive and the capacity, I'm still reserving judgement.

2 minutes ago, aconfusedpcgamer said:

also I just don't think college is very useful for getting a job the fact that your not garneted a job is bad in like tech school the fact that most tech schools have sponsors looking for employees pretty consistently

Getting a career from college depends on the field and how you market yourself, that and knowing how to network (the human kind) with others. My field is NetSec and InfoAssurance which is very high demand. Also I use advanced algebra and other areas of math pretty frequently.

Did they just say legal action, or did they explicitly say sue?

4 hours ago, Majinhoju said:

I work in IT and if we see people hogging network storage space with non work related files we tell them to remove their shit and if they don't, I delete it.

if its stuff like games, or memes, i dont even ask.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

On 2/28/2018 at 8:35 PM, Legendarypoet said:

Did they just say legal action, or did they explicitly say sue?

legal action which I interpret as sue

On 2/28/2018 at 8:13 PM, DeadEyePsycho said:

Unless you know for sure each drive caddy has a drive and the capacity, I'm still reserving judgement.

each student has 19 tb each 

oof me daddy

5 hours ago, Majinhoju said:

I work in IT and if we see people hogging network storage space with non work related files we tell them to remove their shit and if they don't, I delete it.

Unsure why you don't just delete it to begin with.

And leave a note/etc.

legal action which I interpret as sue

Ah, now it makes more sense.

Legal action can mean a lot of things. I didn't think it meant sue since they'd more than likely sue your parents if that was the threat. Suing you will net them exactly $0.

34 minutes ago, aconfusedpcgamer said:

Doesn't matter. you don't get to decide how to use their space.

Regardless of how you feel about school and whether or not you think you'll learn anything, you should not be playing games in class. You learn a lot of your social habits at school and if you can't even pay attention in school, you're going to have a hard time in the workforce and thinks that you can play games instead of working.

at school, you should focus on school, again, regardless of your opinions on the matter.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Also christ, bring in a laptop, make an ad-hoc network with your mates to do multiplayer games at lunch / etc.

Why the hell are you still trying to justify installing games on a school server and then coming here just to look for people to preach for you? The schools have jurisdiction of what students can and cannot do on them (apart from what is against local laws). If they don't want you to be playing games on it, then tough luck. Doesn't matter how bored you are or how much you disagree with their teaching principles. If you really want to play games at school, bring your own machine. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 2/28/2018 at 8:46 PM, Sierra Fox said:

Doesn't matter. you don't get to decide how to use their space.

Regardless of how you feel about school and whether or not you think you'll learn anything, you should not be playing games in class. You learn a lot of your social habits at school and if you can't even pay attention in school, you're going to have a hard time in the workforce and thinks that you can play games instead of working.

at school, you should focus on school, again, regardless of your opinions on the matter.

I work before I play I just find that there is nothing to learn that interest me enough for me to care I'm an a and b student 

On 2/28/2018 at 8:51 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Why the hell are you still trying to justify installing games on a school server and then coming here just to look for people to preach for you? The schools have jurisdiction of what students can and cannot do on them (apart from what is against local laws). If they don't want you to be playing games on it, then tough luck. Doesn't matter how bored you are or how much you disagree with their teaching principles. If you really want to play games at school, bring your own machine. 

who said I was trying to justify playing games I wanted to know if they can take legal action for stupid reasons considering they could just wipe our drives and realistically there the ones at fault they knew what we were doing and didn't block the sites along with IT being students mainly doing it 

oof me daddy

I just find that there is nothing to learn that interest me enough for me to care I'm an a and b student 

that's a terrible mindset to have at your age....

also

each student has 19 tb each 

i call bullshit, that might be the "limit" but let's take a conservative estimate that your school has 400 students (which is on the low end of the average students per school in the US). you're saying that they have roughly 5.7 Petabytes dedicated to student storage?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

11 minutes ago, aconfusedpcgamer said:

there the ones at fault they knew what we were doing and didn't block the sites along with IT being students mainly doing it 

Definitely a teenager