What do I need to replace the ISP provided modem?

Datrat

I wanted to know the required items to set up the network and then if you please, could you suggest parts? Ubiquiti networks all the way. In my family, we use 4 phones, 1 laptop, 1 tablet, 1 ethernet connected gaming PC (Setting up a Cat5e line for that) a chrome cast and a Roku. 

Who is your ISP and what speed plan do you pay for?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Datrat said:

I wanted to know the required items to set up the network and then if you please, could you suggest parts? Ubiquiti networks all the way. In my family, we use 4 phones, 1 laptop, 1 tablet, 1 ethernet connected gaming PC (Setting up a Cat5e line for that) a chrome cast and a Roku. 

You need a router

The geek himself.

Hey

Where in the world are you, as this will limit you to what you can buy.

David

Depends on ISP.  For example my ISP will not allow u to use a 3rd party modem it has to be one they supply but u can use a 3rd party router with their supplied modems.

MAIN PC (Beast) - Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI  with BIOS 4703, AMD Ryzen R9 3900XT + Corsair H115i Pro RGB XT Cooling, 32GB G.Skill 3200Mhz 16,18,18,38 1.35v DDR4, Inno3d HerculeZ Design Nvidia GTX 1080 X2 8GB GDDR5,  1 x Samsung U28E590D & 1 x Samsung U32J59XUQ 3840 x 2160 4K, 1 x Samsung Evo 970 Evo Plus NVME PCI-E 1TB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB + 2 X 3TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, 1 x LG BH16NS40 16x BR\DVDRW, ICYBOX IB3740-C31 & ICYBOX IB3640-03,  MZHOU 7 Ports PCIe USB 3.0 Card, 1 x XIAOLO 2.5G Intel I225V Ethernet Card, 2 x UGREEN Hard Drive Enclosure 3.5 inch External SATA Disk Caddy Reader USB 3.0 2.5 3.5 HDD SSD 16TB UASP Case Dock Station With 12V 2A Power Adapter For Windows with 6TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III, Corsair Obsidian 750D Wind Force Edition Case + 5 Corsair ML140 140mm Case Fans, EVGA 750 g3 750w Gold 80+ PSU, Logitech MX Vertical Mouse, Logitech MX Vertical & MX Ergo Trackball Mouse using same USB unifying device, Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard, Windows 11 Pro x64 Retail, Synology ds215j NAS + 1x3TB WD Reds connected to a 6TB Seagate USB 3.0 Backup Plus Hub, Blue Yeti Microphone, Logitech C922 Pro HD,  Logitech C920 Pro HD, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Second PC (Cyclops) - MSI 990FXA Gaming, AMD FX 8370 4Ghz, Corsair 16GB Vengeance Red 9-9-9-24 1600Mhz, Arctic Cooling Freezer 13, Asus Strix 1050TI 4GB, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 1 x Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2 X Seagate Barracuda 2TB, 1 X WD Black 2TB, 1 x ASUS 16x DVDRW, X-Case Eagle III Case, 3 X Corsair AF 120 Case Fans, EVGA 850 G2 80+ Gold + PSU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Logitech C920 Webcam, R0DE NT1-A Microphone, Scarlet 212 Audio Interface (Revision 2), Windows 10 Pro X64 Retail, Bit Defender Total Security 2021, 2TB Seagate Expansion USB Hard Drive.

Third PC (Old Trustie) - Acer Aspire M3400, OEM Mainboard, AMD FX Athlon II X3 425 2.7Ghz, 16GB Corsair Value 1600Mhz Ram, OEM CPU Cooler, AMD R7 260 2GB GPU, 1 X Acer 27" Full HD Monitor, 1 X Sandisk Ultra II SSD 240GB, 2TB Samsung SATA III, 1 X OEM 16X DVDRW, 1 X Acer OEM Case, 1 X Corsair AF120 Case Can, Corsair CX500 Bronze+ CPU, Logitech MX Master Mouse, Corsair K30 Keyboard, Windows 10 Home X64 OEM, Logitech C920 Webcam, Bit Defender Total Security 2021.

Printers Include - Canon MG5750, Canon, IP8750,  Canon Pixma Mega tank G5050 & 2 X Samsung Xpress C410W.

1 X Zexrow Xbox360 Wired Game Controller.

TP Link Archer AX6000 Cable Router Wifi6 with a Virgin Media Hub 4.0 in Modem only mode running 1GB Fibre internet.

Samsung Galaxy S21+ 256GB Mobile Phone.

Internet Speed.....

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9935039193

18 minutes ago, Datrat said:

Yeah, this is extremely situational and at the end of the day its the ISP who is controlling your speeds and bandwidth.

17 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Who is your ISP and what speed plan do you pay for?

Xfinity, and we had to drop it down from 100 down and 60 up to 60 down and 10 up. I hate that unmentioned and misleading sign up discount. 

1 hour ago, Datrat said:

Xfinity, and we had to drop it down from 100 down and 60 up to 60 down and 10 up. I hate that unmentioned and misleading sign up discount. 

Then I would go with the SB6141 or CM400 for the modem.

After that you're free to use whatever router and other gear you want

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

35 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Then I would go with the SB6190 or CM400 for the modem.

Don't go for a Puma from Intel, SB6190 is bad news chipset and firmware issues cause serious problems for gaming and UDP traffic in general.

http://badmodems.com/Forum/app.php/badmodems

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

Just now, Falconevo said:

Don't go for a Puma from Intel, SB6190 is bad news chipset and firmware issues cause serious problems for gaming and UDP traffic in general.

Whoops, that should have said 6141. Not sure why I typed out 6190. Good catch.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Whoops, that should have said 6141. Not sure why I typed out 6190. Good catch.

I thought you would already know about that one :D 6141 is definitely a better unit!

Broadcom > Intel at the moment when it comes to Docsis modems, Puma7 looks to have the same issues and the latest firmware still hasn't fixed all the shit it has caused.

So I need to replace the Modem, get a switch, get access points, get a cloud key right?

In the LTT video called Pimp My WiFi, including Linus's neighbor, did they replace the modem?

Just now, Datrat said:

So I need to replace the Modem, get a switch, get access points, get a cloud key right?

First we need to know what modem/router your ISP has provided you.  It may be that the unit can be put in 'modem mode' where it simply acts as a bridge to your ISP.

Then you can use your own router and if you want good WiFi also, use some AP's.  Most routers have 4 ethernet ports on the back so depending on requirements you may not need an additional switch.

1 minute ago, Datrat said:

You still need a router (unless those suggested ones are combo's).
If you want to use DPI from ubiquity you need their edge router.
Then you want a switch, if you want to make is easier for youself you could go with a POE switch so you can power the AP's from that.

You don't need a cloud key, you can run this from any computer.
What I've done myself is buy a synology NAS to have some extra storage and I run the cloud controller on the synology NAS. (if you buy a newer one you can use docker for this, else there is someone who made a package for the synology OS).

43 minutes ago, Datrat said:

What specific Edge router should I get? And what is a DPI?

As you are not a poweruser (I asume judging your questions). i would suggest taking a modem/router combo. @Lurick can suggest which one you should take (also say what you have already).  You probably don't need DPI. Also you can just use the router as DHCP server, else you would need a seperate one if you are using the Unifi Lite AP's (I personally use my NAS as DHCP server).

2 hours ago, Datrat said:

You need a modem, Id suggest the SB6183 or the CM600. If your on a budget the SB6141 isnt bad, but its not really clear how long it will be supported as rumors are Comcast is trying to get 4x4 and 8x4 modems off their network. Keep in mind standard cable modems DONT have routers built in.  You need a router. Depending on what router you get you may need a switch. And if you use a wired only router then you need AP's. 

2 hours ago, Falconevo said:

First we need to know what modem/router your ISP has provided you.  It may be that the unit can be put in 'modem mode' where it simply acts as a bridge to your ISP.

Then you can use your own router and if you want good WiFi also, use some AP's.  Most routers have 4 ethernet ports on the back so depending on requirements you may not need an additional switch.

Xfinity charges $10 a month to rent their modems. The OP would be better off buying one themselves and saving the $120 a year. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Levisallanon said:

If you want to use DPI from ubiquity you need their edge router.

DPI is in the UniFi lineup. UniFi routers have DPI as well.

There's also IDS in beta but it causes a huge hit on performance (no hardware offload).

@Datrat

I can recommend the USG (UniFi) or the Edgerouter Lite. If you want some serious firepower, the Edgerouter 4 is a powerful router.

Also be careful, there is a new model of the APs where they don't come with a PoE injector in the box.

51 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

DPI is in the UniFi lineup. UniFi routers have DPI as well.

There's also IDS in beta but it causes a huge hit on performance (no hardware offload).

@Datrat

I can recommend the USG (UniFi) or the Edgerouter Lite. If you want some serious firepower, the Edgerouter 4 is a powerful router.

Also be careful, there is a new model of the APs where they don't come with a PoE injector in the box.

I would avoid the EdgeRouter Lite like the plague if you plan on gaming or using VPN services, it has so many UDP fragmentation and packet mishandling issues that still are yet to be resolved.

4 hours ago, Lurick said:

Then I would go with the SB6141 or CM400 for the modem.

4 hours ago, Falconevo said:

Curious about a Surfboard 6183. Heard good things about it and had it recommended.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Just now, wcreek said:

Curious about a Surfboard 6183. Heard good things about it and had it recommended.

6183 is fine. The 6190 is bad

I had the 6183 for a while, never had issues :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

You likely are fine to use your current modem, you should get a USG 3, a Unifi switch that matches what you need port count and POE wise. Get 1+ AP - Pro s and then if 2+ APs run the controller on a server or cloud key. All pretty simple with unifi gear and cheap too. Total cost maybe $1.5k