Static Pressure fans used as case fans?

infern027
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

They're not good only for radiators, they just better for move air through restrictions, such as radiators or drive cages. They also function perfectly fine as case fans, but if the air flow is not restricted, AF fans will work better. 

If there's no restriction to airflow, such as a drive cage (not filters, those aren't really restrictive), then you should switch them to AF fans for the best performance. 

I just got my Thermaltake RIING RED LED case fans. 

I got three of them, 2 for intake and 1 for exhaust.

But I realized that SP fans are good only for radiators. I do not plan to use a radiator for my PC.

Should I return these and get AF Fans?

They're not good only for radiators, they just better for move air through restrictions, such as radiators or drive cages. They also function perfectly fine as case fans, but if the air flow is not restricted, AF fans will work better. 

If there's no restriction to airflow, such as a drive cage (not filters, those aren't really restrictive), then you should switch them to AF fans for the best performance. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Acutally Most SP and AF fans have about the same airflow, its just SP fans are louder at a given airflow amount with no pressure.

I'd say keep them, I run a mix of both in my system & tried switching to all AF fans as case fans.
Not even a dent in temperatures, CPU/GPU/VRM/etc.

If you feel safer returning them you could, as long as you didn't thread them. Like I did before realizing it wouldn't make a humongous difference & trying to return them. (Ended up keeping them & sticking them in my bro's system.)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

I personally use SP fans on the front of my case due to the fact it has dust filters which tend to be pretty restrictive. It actually makes a decent different over just HF fans.

In general though case fans aren't as picking as say fans for a heatsink or radiator.

• 5 years later...

They're not good only for radiators,...." very confusing and ambiguous phrase.

Do you mean to say, "They're good not only for the radiators but also for ..."?

The whole Airflow vs Static pressure thing is stupid. 

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14