Anyone with the ekwb supremecy evo, is this a leak?

Go to solution Solved by MoonFrost,

Wanted to update this incase a future person has the same concern and comes along to this thread. 

Ek just emailed me back the following statement/offer, which I declined because I just wanted to make sure it was safe, not worth it for me to disassemble it if it's not harmful: 

Thank you for contacting us. 
We are sorry to hear about the reported problem. 
What you see in your water block is not the leak of coolant or such, but it's when water block (o-ring) makes a compression it sucks the Plexi TOP more towards the nickel base, which means the O-ring is squeezed extremely tight and it possibly left some oil out from the production which made such appearance on the edge of the water block like it would leak. What can be done is that we send you a new o-ring replacement for the Supremacy EVO free of charge, but you will need to open water block (you won't lose the warranty by that) to change it so it won't appear again.

I didn't open the waterblock when I installed it a few weeks ago. Fluid isn't leaking out, yet. Maybe they just overtightened that corner? 

Just mildly concerned. 

20180216_010919.jpg

I don't see anything wrong really

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I'd be a bit careful with that. Put some white paper towels around there carefuly and just let them stay there for some time if you do not want to take the loop apart.

32 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I don't see anything wrong really

talking about the highlighted area that to me looks wet.

Untitled.thumb.png.67433f86b8c065890e6c5a1d7da936ea.png

31 minutes ago, NMS said:

I'd be a bit careful with that. Put some white paper towels around there carefuly and just let them stay there for some time if you do not want to take the loop apart.

ive been keepign an eye on it, Just took the picture today so I can compare it in a week or so to see if anything has changed.

1 minute ago, MoonFrost said:

talking about the highlighted area that to me looks wet.

is it wet though? touch it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

is it wet though? touch it

its between the acrylic and the metal plate. Cant touch it without taking it apart.

1 minute ago, MoonFrost said:

its between the acrylic and the metal plate. Cant touch it without taking it apart.

stick some paper towl inbetween if you can? i doubt its anything to worry about though

Builds:

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, MoonFrost said:

Looks like o-ring grease to me, i think its nothing to worry about. just keep an eye on it. perhaps tape some tissue onto it just in case.

9 hours ago, MoonFrost said:

just take it apart then :P check to o ring is all good. its only 4 screws.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

11 hours ago, For Science! said:

Looks like o-ring grease to me, i think its nothing to worry about. just keep an eye on it. perhaps tape some tissue onto it just in case.

I had the exact same thing on my EVO block.  It is O ring grease/oil.  I wouldn't worry about it.  If you are still concerned, take the block apart, open it up, gently clean everything with a little soap and water and put it back together and see if that comes back.  Oh, and make sure everything is dry before you put it back together.   

Be careful when you tighten things back down, it doesn't take a lot of pressure to crack the acrylic. 

-J

11 minutes ago, Jsunn said:

I had the exact same thing on my EVO block.  It is O ring grease/oil.  I wouldn't worry about it.  If you are still concerned, take the block apart, open it up, gently clean everything with a little soap and water and put it back together and see if that comes back.  Oh, and make sure everything is dry before you put it back together.   

Be careful when you tighten things back down, it doesn't take a lot of pressure to crack the acrylic. 

-J

Alright thanks. I was trying to avoid opening it for that reason, as well as voiding their warranty. Plus disassembling my loop is a pain. 

So how would grease get there? Like the ek employee that assembled it rubbed grease there and didn't wipe it off before putting the acrylic top on? 

13 minutes ago, MoonFrost said:

Alright thanks. I was trying to avoid opening it for that reason, as well as voiding their warranty. Plus disassembling my loop is a pain. 

So how would grease get there? Like the ek employee that assembled it rubbed grease there and didn't wipe it off before putting the acrylic top on? 

It is your fluid in there, it shouldn't really be a problem but don't take chances, I would take it apart and be sure. Also, taking blocks apart doesn't void their warranty.

Watercooling Pro & Keyboard Enthusiast!

10 minutes ago, MoonFrost said:

I think the rubber gaskets are shipped in an oil/grease that helps preserve the rubber.  Some of it leeches out after a while, but it should be easy to clean.  

but seriously, if its not dripping, you are good to go.  I would only disassemble if OCD gets the best of you. 

Saying that I know that my OCD wouldn't be able to resist.  :P 

Wanted to update this incase a future person has the same concern and comes along to this thread. 

Ek just emailed me back the following statement/offer, which I declined because I just wanted to make sure it was safe, not worth it for me to disassemble it if it's not harmful: 

Thank you for contacting us. 
We are sorry to hear about the reported problem. 
What you see in your water block is not the leak of coolant or such, but it's when water block (o-ring) makes a compression it sucks the Plexi TOP more towards the nickel base, which means the O-ring is squeezed extremely tight and it possibly left some oil out from the production which made such appearance on the edge of the water block like it would leak. What can be done is that we send you a new o-ring replacement for the Supremacy EVO free of charge, but you will need to open water block (you won't lose the warranty by that) to change it so it won't appear again.