How long will a GTX 1080 last?

tehx

Hi, I just bought a 1 year old GTX 1080 off ebay - works perfectly. The thing that concerns me is how long it will last me before artifacting/breaking because it may have had heavy use over the past year. 

How long will it last me?

Thanks in advance

It should last pretty long if you keep it nice and tidy. Many people have their Graphics Card for up to 6-7 years which is the lifespan of time to upgrade PC.

SPECS: Intel Core i5-4460 // PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 4GB // 1x8GB DDR3 RAM // Delta 500AB-6A PSU // HyperX Cloud Stinger / Logitech G710+ / Logitech G502 / Xbox One Halo Guardian controller // LG 24M45H 1080p // 

How to cope with depression

Spoiler free review of Life is Strange (Video Game)

I had a GeForce 7300LE that lasted over 10 years, even though there was a 3mm gap in between the GPU and heat sink. It idled at 70C for so many years and still works today.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

If it was used for mining then it can die on you anytime. Otherwise its gonna be good for several years before it starts failing. 

Even if someone gamed on it 24/7 max settings the card will be fine. 

Gaming doesnt stress the GPU as much as minig since minig is constant 100% stress “test”.

just keep an eye on temps, they wear down the hardware if they come close to the limits (i belive its still 90C for GPU, correct me if im wrong).

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

2 minutes ago, Thony said:

If it was used for mining then it can die on you anytime. Otherwise its gonna be good for several years before it starts failing. 

Gaming doesnt stress the GPU as much as minig since minig is constant 100% stress “test”.

just keep an eye on temps, they wear down the hardware if they come close to the limits (i belive its still 90C for GPU, correct me if im wrong).

Temps are stable 71c max i've seen so far. Is that okay>

It all comes to temps it runs at. Even if it spends two or even three year running 24/7, say mining, it will work like new (other than the fan) if it's kept at 50C maximum (achievable in places cold year round).

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Thony said:

Why are people spreading so much misinformation.

You do realize that the number crunching that is done by mining isn't as intensive as gaming right?

Next the two biggest killers of a gpu are heat and voltage. Guess what is the first thing most miners do? They drop a custom bios on it that undervolts the card.. saving them in operation costs... and also reducing the heat on the card.

Now these cards do run 24/7, but the key is they are at a pretty consistent temp the whole time. The gamers card will go from ambient to high and back to ambient quite often. This is also worse for the cards because the constant up and down from thermal expansion actually starts to crack and destroy the solder on these cards.

So while any card can just randomly die (that is why we have warranties) a mining card isn't any more likely to fail than one used for gaming.

Just now, Assassinguy2623 said:

Yea thats perfect. 

I have 1060 and I dont see 65 :P

this gen graphics are well cooled im super pleased compared to 700 series which I had previously.

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

16 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Why are people spreading so much misinformation.

You do realize that the number crunching that is done by mining isn't as intensive as gaming right?

Next the two biggest killers of a gpu are heat and voltage. Guess what is the first thing most miners do? They drop a custom bios on it that undervolts the card.. saving them in operation costs... and also reducing the heat on the card.

Now these cards do run 24/7, but the key is they are at a pretty consistent temp the whole time. The gamers card will go from ambient to high and back to ambient quite often. This is also worse for the cards because the constant up and down from thermal expansion actually starts to crack and destroy the solder on these cards.

So while any card can just randomly die (that is why we have warranties) a mining card isn't any more likely to fail than one used for gaming.

Can u provide credible sources that say mining doesnt kill gpus faster than gaming ? 

I always heard “stat away from mining-used cards”. I think even wan show talked about the cards waaaaaay back and other youtubers. That was before Pascal and RX500 was released. Has it changed since ?

And are you trying to say u would go ahead and buy a card u know was used for mining ? 

50 minutes ago, Assassinguy2623 said:

Hi, I just bought a 1 year old GTX 1080 off ebay - works perfectly. The thing that concerns me is how long it will last me before artifacting/breaking because it may have had heavy use over the past year. 

How long will it last me?

Thanks in advance

no way to tell.  Normally there aren't indications that a card is about to die,it just happens.  Sometimes a fan stops working or temps rise, but sometimes it just happens.  

I personally am not into buying a mined card, it's like buying a car with an unknown miles on it.  yeah the card and car could last for many years to come or it could breakdown shortly thereafter.  Either way best thing is to make sure the card is still under warranty and is transferable 

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

10 minutes ago, Thony said:

And are you trying to say u would go ahead and buy a card u know was used for mining ? 

I know I would

3 hours ago, Thony said:

That's not true, my mining rigs are undervolted by 15-20%, power limited to 65%, and still get top hash rates out of them.  They stay around 50 C while at normal fan speeds, I can drop them down to 30 C if I up the fan speeds to 50%. 

Mining isn't intensive at all, people who don't know what they are doing think that overclocking and upping the volts will automatically make more money, but the other side of the coin is, they need to look at the power consumption and ensure its in the GPU's ideal power envelopes, otherwise its perf/watt will go down and thus less profits at the end.  You might get more coin upfront with the overclocks and overvolts but end of the day once power is calculated into that, ya end up with less profits.  Any mining tutorial on the web will talk about this so personally I think most miners are well aware of this.  How else do you think rx580's while mining only consume 100 watts, 1070's at 80 watts, 1080 ti's at 170 watts, Vega 56 at 150 watts, Vega 64 at 180 watts while mining?

3 hours ago, Thony said:

Can u provide credible sources that say mining doesnt kill gpus faster than gaming ? 

I always heard “stat away from mining-used cards”. I think even wan show talked about the cards waaaaaay back and other youtubers. That was before Pascal and RX500 was released. Has it changed since ?

Mining doesn't push GPU's at all, unlike gaming which will push GPU's and components much harder.  Yes I would buy mining cards at a reasonable price like half of the MSRP, not at current prices lol.  Used cards are used cards, but I would trust mining cards more than gaming cards in a heart beat, if the reseller is reliable, because gaming cards might have been overclocked and overvolted which, overvolting decreases life span, and thermal cycling also hurts electronic life span which gaming cards will have more of since they have their boost states and regular states used more often.

11 minutes ago, Thony said:

Yes I would buy one of these cards and I have in the past for extra pcs I have laying around or for friends/family on a budget.

People will always claim that you should stay away from these cards, but that is because they speak on false assumptions.

I mean any GPU can randomly die, but that is something that would happen regardless of how it is used... sometimes there are just bad cards.

The two major components cpu's and gpu's have a lifetime that is very dependent on two major conditions. This is the Voltage they are being run at and the temperature they are at. The lower the temp the more voltage you can apply before damage occurs. This is because of how temperature affects electrical leakage and also the resistance of the pathways. It is actually a loop.. the lower the temp, the less voltage required, but also the more you can run safely. The more voltage you run the higher the temps will go. So it can get confusing unless you understand the concepts.

My point above though is this. High temps and voltage lead to the silicon to start degrading. This means that is takes more voltage to perform the same actions as before, which in return will make it degrade further until the chip dies. Also having high voltages has the risk of a spike completely smoking the chip and turning it into an instant paperweight. Then finally you have thermal expansion which can result in the killing of the flux/solder over time making different components lose their connection to each other.

So overall usage amount isn't the problem. Yes, a card used 1 day a year will last longer than 1 used every day that year, but that is because of the factors above adding up very slowly overtime compared to a card with basically no use. When you look at two cards that will see a decent amount of use... then 5000hrs of time isn't much harder on the card than 2500 hrs as long as the temp and voltage are well within the safe levels. 

That was a lot more long winded than I intended and being busy at work caused me to be a little scattered in my explanation, but hopefully that makes sense to someone.

i'm not an expert by i read things like VRM's have a limited lifespan, of course no one games 24/7 (i hope at least o.O ) and mining 24/7 approaches the limit of every component several folds quickly

2 minutes ago, asus killer said:

i'm not an expert by i read things like VRM's have a limited lifespan, of course no one games 24/7 (i hope at least o.O ) and mining 24/7 approaches the limit of every component several folds quickly

You are looking at it under the assumption it operates like a mechanical object. This isn't like a car where miles will add up over time and eventually things need to be rebuilt. The only real moving part on the card is the fan (which is easy to replace). Yes I know there are electrons moving all around to transfer signals, but those only effect the card in the way of heat. Heat hurts components and causes stress fractures in solder and also degrades your silicon if too high. Voltage creates heat and if you have too much voltage flowing you can kill components.

Now as to VRMs. The ones on a GPU are in my opinion much better than what you find on your average motherboard which most have a 5000hr minimum life and are said to last about 5 years on average for an always on pc. However, there is a big difference in how they are implemented on a pc and how they are used in a gpu... they serve the same function, but the motherboard ones are very rarely actively cooled... where as the ones on a gpu are actively cooled. VRMs are like other components and heat hurts them... luckily though as a miner these will be moving less voltage (due to being under volted) so again they should fair better than one being used for gaming.

Now look at cards used for hardcore gaming. They do die from time to time... i've had card that died in less than 6 months.. and others like a old 8800ultra that is 10+ years old and still works. I've had cards die a few days before their 3yr warranty was up...etc. In all my years though I think only 2-3 gpu's have failed me... 2 of those being inside their warranty period. All of the other cards have been tossed, given away, or used as a paperweight. So even though gaming is theoretically harder on a card the vast majority of them are replaced long before they fail.

This is once again why I say it is silly to avoid a card when it was used for mining. If anything I have a much better idea of how the card was handled in that situation. The same can't be said about all the cards out there used by gamers. 

8 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

You are looking at it under the assumption it operates like a mechanical object. This isn't like a car where miles will add up over time and eventually things need to be rebuilt. The only real moving part on the card is the fan (which is easy to replace). Yes I know there are electrons moving all around to transfer signals, but those only effect the card in the way of heat. Heat hurts components and causes stress fractures in solder and also degrades your silicon if too high. Voltage creates heat and if you have too much voltage flowing you can kill components.

Now as to VRMs. The ones on a GPU are in my opinion much better than what you find on your average motherboard which most have a 5000hr minimum life and are said to last about 5 years on average for an always on pc. However, there is a big difference in how they are implemented on a pc and how they are used in a gpu... they serve the same function, but the motherboard ones are very rarely actively cooled... where as the ones on a gpu are actively cooled. VRMs are like other components and heat hurts them... luckily though as a miner these will be moving less voltage (due to being under volted) so again they should fair better than one being used for gaming.

Now look at cards used for hardcore gaming. They do die from time to time... i've had card that died in less than 6 months.. and others like a old 8800ultra that is 10+ years old and still works. I've had cards die a few days before their 3yr warranty was up...etc. In all my years though I think only 2-3 gpu's have failed me... 2 of those being inside their warranty period. All of the other cards have been tossed, given away, or used as a paperweight. So even though gaming is theoretically harder on a card the vast majority of them are replaced long before they fail.

This is once again why I say it is silly to avoid a card when it was used for mining. If anything I have a much better idea of how the card was handled in that situation. The same can't be said about all the cards out there used by gamers. 

"THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY WHERE PRODUCT(S) ARE USED TO ANY DEGREE, OUTSIDE OF NORMAL INTENDED USE, WHICH SHALL INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO “MINING” (e.g., Cryptocurrency, Data Mining, Mining Farms)."

fans, vrms, etc... still there is a reason for the above statement on a warranty of a series 10 card (https://www.pny.com/File Library/Support/PNY Products/Warranties/GeForce Graphics/3-Year-Limited-Warranty.pdf). But still agree to disagree.

Hard to say.  My 780 served me well for 4 years.  Still works fine now.  I've just moved it to another computer since I replaced it.

11 minutes ago, asus killer said:

"THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY WHERE PRODUCT(S) ARE USED TO ANY DEGREE, OUTSIDE OF NORMAL INTENDED USE, WHICH SHALL INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO “MINING” (e.g., Cryptocurrency, Data Mining, Mining Farms)."

fans, vrms, etc... still there is a reason for the above statement on a warranty of a series 10 card (https://www.pny.com/File Library/Support/PNY Products/Warranties/GeForce Graphics/3-Year-Limited-Warranty.pdf). But still agree to disagree.

You are also looking at a warranty supplied by PNY. They have one of the most restrictive and terrible warranties on the market. Of the cards I have had fail one of them was a PNY 280gtx. It was suppose to have a limited lifetime warranty back them on the XL8 or w/e line. When I contacted them I was informed it meant the lifetime of the card (production cycle) so once they no longer made the card or had it in stock... then you were SOL on getting a replacement. One of the reasons I do not support PNY at all.

Also if you look at PNY's site... they are one of the manufacturers hat are actually marking up the prices on their end. 

Look at https://www.evga.com/support/warranty/graphics-cards/. There is NO such limitation and most card manufacturers do not have that clause. So don't just cherry pick the worst warranty of all the manufacturers and use it to fuel your argument.

Lastly, the warranty you quoted is not an enforceable warranty unless you are careless enough to send back a somewhat function card with modified bios still on it. They have no way of knowing if you mined with the card and you are not obligated to answer if asked.

*edit*

https://us.msi.com/page/warranty   No such limitation

http://www.commercialsupport.asus.com/graphics-card-warranty   No such limitation.

http://rma.gigabyte.us/   No such limitation

https://www.zotac.com/us/page/product-warranty-policy  No such limitation

http://www.nvidia.com/object/manufacturer_warranty.html  No such limitation

So of ALL the USA manufactures.. only PNY has that limitation. So does that point to mining being an actual issue or just that PNY is a terrible company with a terrible warranty? There is a reason all of their products are so cheap.

I bought my second one used, was a mining card. Been gaming on it for about a year. Its been mining for a few months. Gonna do so until a new rig can be built that can actually handle a crappy game along with sli.

My old cards lasted over 4 years along with my current cards. I'm sure ill sell them before they will "break/die".

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 hour ago, asus killer said:

I would figure that PNY could enforce the warranty clause if the purchase invoice showed something like 10+ cards purchased at once,something more companies should do IMO,rather than taking a loss on all the miners probably RMA-ing for dead fans or cooked VRMs.

3 hours ago, Assassinguy2623 said:

That's more than okay, my overclocked GTX 780 normally reaches a max of 81C.

You'll be fine for gaming on it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!