I have the slowest WiFi in the world and I need help!

GlazeIsAGamer

So my WiFi as of late has been becoming a pain in the crap to work with. Websites load very slow and audio on SoundCloud and Clypt refuse to play. I want to know what is wrong?

According to the Google speed test it said I had 0.46 (before) / 0.23 (after) Mbps download, 1.71 (before) / 2.73 (after) Mbps upload, and a latency of 81 (before) / 62 (after) MS. I live in Memphis and my WiFi server is in Atlanta, GA. My PC's WiFi card is a NETGEAR AC1200 USB card, and my router is a Apple Airport Extreme from 2008. My WiFi carrier is Verison and my PC doesn't have any crappy files that is messing with the WiFi. Even better, my PC is right next to the room where the WiFi is, and nothing is interfering with it. What should I do? Please give a kind of simple answer because i'm only 16 and I can't do very complex crap (like talking to ISPs on phones and crap like that)

Get better wifi The reason is most likely the 10 year old modem router.  Find a $80 one like this: https://www.amazon.com/RT-ACRH13-Dual-Band-AC1300-4-port-Gigabit/dp/B07628HLTM?tag=toptenselect-20&th=1

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Just now, hconverse02 said:

Get better wifi The reason is most likely the 10 year old modem router.  Find a $80 one like this: https://www.amazon.com/RT-ACRH13-Dual-Band-AC1300-4-port-Gigabit/dp/B07628HLTM?tag=toptenselect-20&th=1

This could be it lol. I'll try to convince my parents to upgrade their router. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, GlazeIsAGamer said:

This could be it lol. I'll try to convince my parents to upgrade their router. Thanks!

could you go to speedtest.net and copy paste the results, also do you have access to your ISP website to see your data plan ? ( do you know what data plan you have and maybe what plans are available ? ) 

also what modem do you have ?

9 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

whats your wired speeds

I used wired once on my PC when my mom was renovating my room (because the wifi router is in my moms bedroom and i had to move my pc there temporarly till they we're done painting) and I didn't do a speed test, but I could predict it was a tiny bit better than what I got.

3 minutes ago, Norwegiantweaker said:

could you go to speedtest.net and copy paste the results, also do you have access to your ISP website to see your data plan ? ( do you know what data plan you have and maybe what plans are available ? ) 

also what modem do you have ?

Using Speedtest.net, I am connected to Xfinity to the Arkansas State Universty's servers in Jonesboro, AR. The ping is 36 MS , Download at 4.11 MBPS, and Upload at 5.70 MBPS. I feel like thats a little better but idk. I have 2 modems. One is a AT&T one for my U-verse box, and a Netgear one for the main WiFi modem. I don't know the specific model, but that's all I know.

Edit: The NETGEAR modem we just got 5 months ago, soooo yeah

3 minutes ago, GlazeIsAGamer said:

One is a AT&T one for my U-verse box, and a Netgear one for the main WiFi modem. I don't know the specific model, but that's all I know.

So you got AT&T Uverse for Internet? If your getting that kind of speed then either you have a line issue, or your too far from the VRAD or you pay for the slowest shittiest package AT&T sells. DSL is distance limited. BUT Uverse is VDSL which should be fiber to the node (VRAD). If your too far from the VRAD then you get shit speeds like you have. But its hard to say in your case.

Really what you need to figure out is what speed package your family pays for. If your not getting the speed on wired then there most likely is some kind of line issues that will need to be addressed. If you do get the speeds on a wired connection and its just a WiFi issue, then you have a few steps you can take, mostly changing the channel your router operates on for wireless. But, wireless is affected by many issues you cant control or fix. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

13 minutes ago, GlazeIsAGamer said:

I used wired once on my PC when my mom was renovating my room (because the wifi router is in my moms bedroom and i had to move my pc there temporarly till they we're done painting) and I didn't do a speed test, but I could predict it was a tiny bit better than what I got.

Using Speedtest.net, I am connected to Xfinity to the Arkansas State Universty's servers in Jonesboro, AR. The ping is 36 MS , Download at 4.11 MBPS, and Upload at 5.70 MBPS. I feel like thats a little better but idk. I have 2 modems. One is a AT&T one for my U-verse box, and a Netgear one for the main WiFi modem. I don't know the specific model, but that's all I know.

Edit: The NETGEAR modem we just got 5 months ago, soooo yeah

wait, so you have 3 modems connected ?! 

14 minutes ago, GlazeIsAGamer said:

Well try to run it if you can. Those speeds really determine if your wireless is truely poo or your internet connection is just that slow.

14 minutes ago, GlazeIsAGamer said:

-snip-

on a second note AFAIK the lowest ATT speed is 25mbs ?. if you can get a hold of some documents hwere the data plan is listed it should tell you what youre paying for, if the speed ur getting is lower than that you or anyone else in the household can call ATT customer service and state the issue ( you probably need a customer ID or a IP ) and they will sort the rest out and troubleshoot lines etc ;)

13 minutes ago, Norwegiantweaker said:

lowest ATT speed is 25mbs ?

Uverse yes. But DSL no. Lowest speeds offered by AT&T is 6 Mbps as far as I know, this is what they used to offer in my area, until they stopped offering it due to the service being hit or miss as we are pretty far from the CO. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Uverse yes. But DSL no. Lowest speeds offered by AT&T is 6 Mbps as far as I know, this is what they used to offer in my area, until they stopped offering it due to the service being hit or miss as we are pretty far from the CO. 

aah my bad, i just popped into their webpage and had alook. lowest there was 25. maybe its just a salespoint or whatever" 

Just now, Norwegiantweaker said:

aah my bad, i just popped into their webpage and had alook. lowest there was 25. maybe its just a salespoint or whatever" 

Not all areas have Uverse. AT&T offers aDSL and VDSL, if your lucky to have VDSL that is. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Not all areas have Uverse. AT&T offers aDSL and VDSL, if your lucky to have VDSL that is. 

im rocking a 5/0.5 isp right now. works perfectly for both gaming and streaming ( just takes half alifetime to download games ) 

so why people complain is beyond me ( unless were talking about powerusers streamers youtubers and such ) 

I’m now sending this message on my phone through cellular but my WiFi took a crap, claims it’s connected but it’s down. Am I getting DDoSd???? I’m scared and I need help

Ok so the internet went back up 4 min after its down.

is xfinity dying out or some crap??!?!?!?!!

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

your forgetting FTH in some areas. I am about to get gigabit in. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

13 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

your forgetting FTH in some areas. I am about to get gigabit in. 

Far and few between. Unless the OP lives in a very rich area, they aint going Fiber to the Home. AT&T cherry picks those areas like all hell breaks loose. 

To be clear, I live in a kind of rich home but I don't use fancy-grade WiFi or some crap on my modem, I think we just use regular ol' DSL and crap. I think I just know the solution, my router is just too old to be a router. Again, I'll convince my parents to get something more powerful from something like Asus or TP-LINK. Thanks for the help tough!

OK ITS BEEN A DAY AND NOW MY SPEED TEST SAYS THIS

0PkuEbn.png

I THINK COMCAST WAS SMOKING A BLUNT LAST NIGHT

19 minutes ago, GlazeIsAGamer said:

OK ITS BEEN A DAY AND NOW MY SPEED TEST SAYS THIS

0PkuEbn.png

I THINK COMCAST WAS SMOKING A BLUNT LAST NIGHT

Do you have AT&T DSL or Comcast Internet? Because they both are not the same. Comcast is superior to DSL in every way. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Do you have AT&T DSL or Comcast Internet? Because they both are not the same. Comcast is superior to DSL in every way. 

I use Comcast

3 minutes ago, GlazeIsAGamer said:

I use Comcast

Well then, you either have the cheapest package or you got issues. Cause, Im on Comcast and we sub to the 100 Mbps package and get 120 Mbps most of the time. Could be a line issue or an issue with your modem. Comcast is known for putting broken equipment back in to circulation.