Homemade Dust Filters On The Cheap!

sauce-c

Hey all! I know this probably isn't considered a "mod" but it seemed like the best place to post this. Last weekend I updated my build, and one of the updates was finally putting dust filters on the front and top of my case. There are no dust filters available for my Corsair 270R, and even if there were I don't want to pay a ridiculous amount for them. So I took the issue into my own hands and made my own. These were very inexpensive, fully customizable, and easy to make so I thought I would share for those of you who have similar problems. I bought all of the materials from my local Menards, but I am sure any hardware store would carry them.

Materials:

Window Screen (The softer more flexible kind, not the metal stuff, I bought a massive roll of it for $6)

Adhesive Magnetic Tape (I was able to get 60in for about $6)

Measuring Tape or  Ruler

Scissors or Knife

The process is pretty straight forward. Measure the area you need to cover on your case, measure the same area on the mesh, then cut. Take your time cutting, the material cuts very easy with a sharp knife so it is easy to slip and get off track. Once you have cut your piece double check to make sure it is the right size for your case and make adjustments if needed. Finally, measure a piece of magnetic tape for each side, apply them to the mesh, and put your new filter on your case! Below I have pictured my top filter, there is one very similar to this on the front of my case as well. 

Good luck! I hope this helps some others out there. 

IMG_20180212_120555_01.jpg

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k 3.7Ghz MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (4x4) Storage: Crucial MX300 275Gb | WD Blue 1Tb

GPU: XFX RS RX480 8Gb Case: Corsair 270R PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750w

Monitors: HP 22cwa | BenQ BL2420PT  Cans: ATH-M50x 

I will try this out. Needed some dust filters, but there cost like 15euro for a small area.

12 hours ago, Hip said:

I will try this out. Needed some dust filters, but there cost like 15euro for a small area.

I was having the same issue. And the thing is, if they come in 120mm or 140mm variants then they actually wont cover all of the area that I need. You can see the area to the right of the fan mounts on my case that would not be covered if I got "fan filters".

Nice, I’ve done this before making custom sized filters and it works very well. Just a quick tip though if you use the 20x20 bug or no-see-umm mesh it works really well at trapping the fine dust that can pass through regular larger screened meshed. 

12 hours ago, W-L said:

Nice, I’ve done this before making custom sized filters and it works very well. Just a quick tip though if you use the 20x20 bug or no-see-umm mesh it works really well at trapping the fine dust that can pass through regular larger screened meshed. 

I was looking for something finer but failed, I guess you could just consider it the AirFlow vs. Dust trade off. In my case, I would have preferred a finer mesh like you speak of, but I can see where this larger mesh would benefit people as well. 

Thanks for the tip!

I did this to the ASIC miners to keep Asian Beatles from a very messy demise at the hands of a very torquey 4000RPM fan.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

• 1 month later...

Awesome! I'm planning on using the 270R for my first build, but was worried about dust filters. I'll have to do this!