Corsair CX650M good enough?

xFluing
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,
Just now, xFluing said:

Looking at the tier list from your sig I see that grey units (the one I picked) are in tier 3, so I'm pretty glad

I plan to OC a ryzen 3 1200 to about 3.5-3.8ghz depending on the silicon lottery.

Tier 3 and above is what I recommend for gaming needs so you are good to go :) Enjoy the new system when you get it built. 

I am on a pretty tight budget and I would like to, in the near future (most likely after Ryzen+) upgrade my PC, I'm already keeping an eye out for a used R9 280, the Asus Strix OC, however I was wondering if a CX650 would be a good enough power supply to run this card, because it fits right in my budget and can't really go for a TX.

Regardless, I would also like to know what alternatives to the CX/TX from other brands I have (for about the same quality).

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

That PSU will be just fine in providing the necessary power. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

easily more than enough. you wouldn't need more than that unless you were running cards in sli/ crossfire and overclocking the crap out of your system.

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

That PSU will be just fine in providing the necessary power. 

Looking at the tier list from your sig I see that grey units (the one I picked) are in tier 3, so I'm pretty glad

Just now, J400 said:

easily more than enough. you wouldn't need more than that unless you were running cards in sli/ crossfire and overclocking the crap out of your system.

I plan to OC a ryzen 3 1200 to about 3.5-3.8ghz depending on the silicon lottery.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

Just now, xFluing said:

Tier 3 and above is what I recommend for gaming needs so you are good to go :) Enjoy the new system when you get it built. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

34 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Why 650W? 450W is plenty, unless you run HEDT. 

Mainly futureproofing, I could get a CX550M but its about the same price as a CX650M so I thought why not

1 minute ago, xFluing said:

Mainly futureproofing, I could get a CX550M but its about the same price as a CX650M so I thought why not

There's no such thing as future proofing. If you want a longer lasting PSU, get a better PSU, not a higher wattage one. 

:)

1 hour ago, xFluing said:

I am on a pretty tight budget and I would like to, in the near future (most likely after Ryzen+) upgrade my PC, I'm already keeping an eye out for a used R9 280, the Asus Strix OC, however I was wondering if a CX650 would be a good enough power supply to run this card, because it fits right in my budget and can't really go for a TX.

Regardless, I would also like to know what alternatives to the CX/TX from other brands I have (for about the same quality).

You don't need 650W for that.

Get a good quality 450W instead. Like Bitfenix Formula or Whisper M for example.

A good 450W makes more sense than a shittier 650W...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

6 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

You don't need 650W for that.

Get a good quality 450W instead. Like Bitfenix Formula or Whisper M for example.

A good 450W makes more sense than a shittier 650W...

Kinda reluctant to believe a 450w psu will run a card that requires a 6+8 connector

9 minutes ago, xFluing said:

Kinda reluctant to believe a 450w psu will run a card that requires a 6+8 connector

Why? The R9 280 is a ~225W card. It could run a gaming load with my old crappy PSU, which had 408W on the 12V rail. 

:)

9 hours ago, xFluing said:

Yes, that's a good PSU for your system. 550W would be plenty too.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 hours ago, xFluing said:

Been there, done that.

No Problem that is.

And that was with a more powerhungry CPU than you have (FX8350 and i7-3820/3930K).

And I also have two Tahitis in 7970GHz and 280X from Gigabyte.

But tbh: I mostly used the normal 7970OC BIOS (1000MHz Core instead of 1100MHz and 1375MHz memory instead of 1500MHz - way quieter and less powerhungry. -50W easily)...

And you want a good 450-550W PSU over a crappier 650W.
It makes NO sense to go for more watt instead of more quality.

14 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Been there, done that.

No Problem that is.

And that was with a more powerhungry CPU than you have (FX8350 and i7-3820/3930K).

And I also have two Tahitis in 7970GHz and 280X from Gigabyte.

But tbh: I mostly used the normal 7970OC BIOS (1000MHz Core instead of 1100MHz and 1375MHz memory instead of 1500MHz - way quieter and less powerhungry. -50W easily)...

And you want a good 450-550W PSU over a crappier 650W.
It makes NO sense to go for more watt instead of more quality.

OK so just to be safe, I will be able to find enough connectors to power a 6+8 GPU even on a 550w right?

Just now, xFluing said:

OK so just to be safe, I will be able to find enough connectors to power a 6+8 GPU even on a 550w right?

Yes, even many 400/450W have two 6+2 pin PCIe connectors. Not all though...

If a 550W doesn't have at least 6+8pin (6+2) then its either an overrated garbage unit or the manufacturer is incompetent...

I only know of one 550W of the reacent years that doesn't have two PCie connectors and that's the InWin GreenMe...

3 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, even many 400/450W have two 6+2 pin PCIe connectors. Not all though...

If a 550W doesn't have at least 6+8pin (6+2) then its either an overrated garbage unit or the manufacturer is incompetent...

I only know of one 550W of the reacent years that doesn't have two PCie connectors and that's the InWin GreenMe...

I was looking at a Corsair TX550M, the 80+ gold ones, I saw an unboxing of the 650w model, which indeed it did have two (6+2) connectors daisy chained, just don't know if the 550w model will have that as well, and I also wonder if I could even get more value out of the 650w model compared to the 550w, even though it's more expensive, in case I need to upgrade in the future.

5 minutes ago, xFluing said:

I was looking at a Corsair TX550M, the 80+ gold ones, I saw an unboxing of the 650w model, which indeed it did have two (6+2) connectors daisy chained, just don't know if the 550w model will have that as well,

Yep, has two PCIe connectors:
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/tx-m-series-tx550m-550-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-psu-na

5 minutes ago, xFluing said:

and I also wonder if I could even get more value out of the 650w model compared to the 550w, even though it's more expensive, in case I need to upgrade in the future.

no, because you don't need the wattage.

If you have that 10 bucks or so, you might want to go for higher quality instead. That's something you can really benefit of.

Like going for an RM550x or Bitfenix Whisper M instead.