Promising return of the market, or ploy to supply more GPUs to miners?

dragonhart6505

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/1/30/16952964/amd-radeon-gpu-supply-shortage-cryptocurrency-mining

Is anybody else hopeful to at least have SOME kind of normalcy back to the GPU market? Or do you think this will only drive cryptominers to get more cards?

IMO, it could go either way. At the rate cards are disappearing and with the shortage of HBM2/GDDR5 I don't honestly know if AMD will be able to stabilize the market for enough time to keep gamers happy. I do hope when my system starts getting built I can scoop an RX 570 for at least retail price. Inb4 scalpers start jumping on eBay with new cards for double price like it already is.

they need to be carefull AMD got burnned in 2014 by doing this and then ending up with way to much stock

Edited by GDRRiley
fixed year

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

they need to be carefull AMD got burnned in 2010 by doing this and then ending up with way to much stock

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, GDRRiley said:

they need to be carefull AMD got burnned in 2010 by doing this and then ending up with way to much stock

Too much stock would be a good thing at this point. That means lowered prices on cards and more availability for new buyers. Personally i don't want a used card from anywhere. I don't care how little the card was used to mine, if at all. If it's used I'm staying away. Bring it on AMD, that's what I say. They flood the market with budget cards then at least the miners and gamers can both have options

7 minutes ago, dragonhart6505 said:

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/1/30/16952964/amd-radeon-gpu-supply-shortage-cryptocurrency-mining

Is anybody else hopeful to at least have SOME kind of normalcy back to the GPU market? Or do you think this will only drive cryptominers to get more cards?

IMO, it could go either way. At the rate cards are disappearing and with the shortage of HBM2/GDDR5 I don't honestly know if AMD will be able to stabilize the market for enough time to keep gamers happy. I do hope when my system starts getting built I can scoop an RX 570 for at least retail price. Inb4 scalpers start jumping on eBay with new cards for double price like it already is.

Depends on how much AMD decide to produce. Best case scenario for consumers is an over production due to a mis judgement in demand. This will inevitably drop prices of AMD cards. Also with the possible introduction of mining cards and a new line up of gaming cards, we may see a significant drop in new and used older gpu's. Hard to say untill it happens tho 

2 minutes ago, dragonhart6505 said:

Too much stock would be a good thing at this point.

Not for AMD. It would put AMD in a really bad place.

That means lowered prices on cards and more availability for new buyers.

Yes but if the crypto market crashes tomorrow and AMD has lots of cards in stock then they lose money and nobody will buy from them because cards on ebay would be cheaper.

They flood the market with budget cards then at least the miners and gamers can both have options

Last time AMD suffered a lot and to be honest I'm not entirely sure how well they're doing financially. Considering their recent moves to cut Vega 56 and Vega 64 production and to increase VEGA FE production i'd say that they need a lot of profit right now.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, dragonhart6505 said:

Too much stock would be a good thing at this point. That means lowered prices on cards and more availability for new buyers. Personally i don't want a used card from anywhere. I don't care how little the card was used to mine, if at all. If it's used I'm staying away. Bring it on AMD, that's what I say. They flood the market with budget cards then at least the miners and gamers can both have options

The only thing is that while they may increase production i doubt itll be to the point where prices drastically drop as thats just a bad business plan, especially with AMD already being the value for money guys

1 minute ago, shea99 said:

Depends on how much AMD decide to produce. Best case scenario for consumers is an over production due to a mis judgement in demand. This will inevitably drop prices of AMD cards. Also with the possible introduction of mining cards and a new line up of gaming cards, we may see a significant drop in new and used older gpu's. Hard to say untill it happens tho 

Which would be a good thing to both AMD and consumers because then people will be able to upgrade their systems to a new architecture, driving sales and renewed faith in AMD for at least looking out for the end-user. That puts money in their pockets, AMD cards in more systems and would hopefully push AMD ahead to further their development to the next-gen GPU. Rinse and repeat.

5 minutes ago, shea99 said:

The only thing is that while they may increase production i doubt itll be to the point where prices drastically drop as thats just a bad business plan, especially with AMD already being the value for money guys

Nobody is looking for a drastic drop in prices, were looking for a stabilized pricing market. I'll happily pay MSRP for a new card.

9 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not for AMD. It would put AMD in a really bad place.

Yes but if the crypto market crashes tomorrow and AMD has lots of cards in stock then they lose money and nobody will buy from them because cards on ebay would be cheaper.

Last time AMD suffered a lot and to be honest I'm not entirely sure how well they're doing financially. Considering their recent moves to cut Vega 56 and Vega 64 production and to increase VEGA FE production i'd say that they need a lot of profit right now.

If the crypto market crashes tomorrow the overused cards hit eBay and like I said...nobody wants a mined-to-death card. At least I don't. Maybe I speak for a minority, but if they put cards on the physical shelves instead of digital at least I know what im getting and I don't have to wait for delivery

3 minutes ago, dragonhart6505 said:

Which would be a good thing to both AMD and consumers because then people will be able to upgrade their systems to a new architecture, driving sales and renewed faith in AMD for at least looking out for the end-user. That puts money in their pockets, AMD cards in more systems and would hopefully push AMD ahead to further their development to the next-gen GPU. Rinse and repeat.

Not as easy to do in practice as there isnt an easy way for them to decide how much production will be too much, too less or sufficient. While they may increase production i still believe itll be lower than actual demand from consumers due to them taking a conservative approach

If the crypto market crashes tomorrow the overused cards hit eBay and like I said...nobody wants a mined-to-death card. At least I don't. Maybe I speak for a minority, but if they put cards on the physical shelves instead of digital at least I know what im getting and I don't have to wait for delivery

Its also highly unlikely crypto will crash in a night, they have however destroyed our market. Hopefully amd and nvidia both release actual mining cards so that they move over to these new cards designed for the use theyre looking for 

3 minutes ago, shea99 said:

Its also highly unlikely crypto will crash in a night, they have however destroyed our market. Hopefully amd and nvidia both release actual mining cards so that they move over to these new cards designed for the use theyre looking for 

There is no reason for miner to get a mining card. It has no resell value. Miners buy normal video cards, because if things go south, they still can sell them.

2 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

There is no reason for miner to get a mining card. It has no resell value. Miners buy normal video cards, because if things go south, they still can sell them.

Some NOT ALL, but some of these miners are fairly new to pc hardware and look for the newest best product 

10 minutes ago, shea99 said:

Not as easy to do in practice as there isnt an easy way for them to decide how much production will be too much, too less or sufficient. While they may increase production i still believe itll be lower than actual demand from consumers due to them taking a conservative approach

A couple thousand cards for the next few months each will suffice if I had to put a number to it. Maybe I'm over thinking the demand, but in terms of cryptomining it doesn't look like it'll crash hard enough by say...May...April...that the new surge of cards would hurt business.

Im looking at mom n pop shops, Best Buy, fuck it WALMART, who could then make a profit from building systems or supplying the cards to consumers and showing what the advantage of the newer GPUs can do. Again, this puts faith back in AMD hardware by showing that they can still be relevant.

Joe Shmo who doesn't keep up with the times or care enough to research the potential damage a cryptomined card takes will benefit from having bought a new card off the shelf at his local brick n morter instead of seeing $100 over retail for a used card that could turn up burnt out.

I'm looking at the short term benefits here, not necessarily a full on assault of the market.

2 minutes ago, shea99 said:

Some NOT ALL, but some of these miners are fairly new to pc hardware and look for the newest best product 

@Almostbauws has a point. Just like Linus' recent video on ASICs, mining specific hardware becomes useless once the efficiency and purpose becomes moot. If cryptomining dies nobody has need for that hardware because it then does nothing. It becomes a paperweight. That's why dedicated GPUs are the best option for miners and why our market hurts so much

Just now, dragonhart6505 said:

@Almostbauws has a point. Just like Linus' recent video on ASICs, mining specific hardware becomes useless once the efficiency and purpose becomes moot. If cryptomining dies nobody has need for that hardware because it then does nothing. It becomes a paperweight. That's why dedicated GPUs are the best option for miners and why our market hurts so much

Hadnt properly considered this and not going to lie i do agree more with your point than my own now. Miners are just the devil atm 

Hadnt properly considered this and not going to lie i do agree more with your point than my own now. Miners are just the devil atm 

Agreed. I do hope mining dies by the end of 2018. 2019 will then be the year of the return of the gamer *fingers crossed*

A couple thousand cards will be snatched instantly by lots of people who will just relist them on eBay for 100..300$ more.

Mining cards would only be bought by miners if they're maybe at least 50-100$ off ... for example make a RX 580 300$ for consumers and 200$ for miners, if they buy packs of 25 cards or something like that.

It's worth more for me to pay 100$ extra (300$) and use a retail card, because in 6-12 months I could still sell the card on eBay for 100$ so basically it would cost as much as a mining card which has less warranty and i'd basically throw away if mining becomes not profitable with that card.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

A couple thousand cards will be snatched instantly by lots of people who will just relist them on eBay for 100..300$ more.

Mining cards would only be bought by miners if they're maybe at least 50-100$ off ... for example make a RX 580 300$ for consumers and 200$ for miners, if they buy packs of 25 cards or something like that.

It's worth more for me to pay 100$ extra (300$) and use a retail card, because in 6-12 months I could still sell the card on eBay for 100$ so basically it would cost as much as a mining card which has less warranty and i'd basically throw away if mining becomes not profitable with that card.

But with the flood of the market and maybe a limited buy option in place, for a time that could restrict the scalpers ability to profit. Retailers just need to get on board with the idea

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Impossible to regulate aswell, no stopping them from buying. Again posses a problem for AMD and Nvidia as they also do not want to over produce to the extent that they have excess stock thats not being sold

Impossible to regulate aswell, no stopping them from buying. Again posses a problem for AMD and Nvidia as they also do not want to over produce to the extent that they have excess stock thats not being sold

And it's up to retailers to accept a limited purchase stipulation. Obviously that would upset miners. But then Joe could see "hey, this is a hot item...maybe I should grab one before it's gone"

Two weeks or a month of a limited buy option of 3 cards max at a time at MSRP could give gamers enough time to pop in, check out and satisfy for a small time. That's all we need...JUST ENOUGH time. This could work for online retailers if they have enough supply in-house, maybe B&M could get on board too with a slightly larger card limit of like 5-10 still giving average consumers ability to buy

5 minutes ago, dragonhart6505 said:

And it's up to retailers to accept a limited purchase stipulation. Obviously that would upset miners. But then Joe could see "hey, this is a hot item...maybe I should grab one before it's gone"

Problem is there is no incentive for retailers to limit purchases per customer