how to transport rig to uni? is this a good idea?

asim1999

I am thinking about transporting my rig to uni as the workload in my computer science course at uni has increased a lot. I am now doing SQL and web development assignments as well as Java and i dont want to stay in computer lab late at night

I am thinking of removing my graphics card (GTX 980) as i have a got a replacement 980 Ti which i will install when i get there. 

I will put monitor in its original box and wrapping, and carry peripherals by hand as they are sturdy. 

I am thinking about putting my rig under thick pillows and wrapping it in my duvet from my bed while transporting it in the back of my mum's car (she has a big Volvo XC90 so fitting it in will be a doddle)

Is this a good plan?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

The inside of the computer needs to be foritfied as well.

That will be fine if you are driving. That is more effort than I would put into transporting my own rig

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

A bit excessive, but whatever makes you feel warm inside.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

if you're transporting it yourself, there's very little that can go wrong, offcourse i'd remove the gpu, but other than laying it flat and making sure it cant shift around, there's little that can go wrong.

I literally placed 3 monitors behind the drivers seat, and placed the case behind the front passenger seat and drove it to campus 650km away, no packaging no effort, nothing was damaged too.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Sounds like a good plan, If your removing the graphics card and you don't have water cooling your only concerns should be getting the case dinged or scratched. Wrapping it in a blanket is my favorite way of transporting computers

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

I'd pull that Noctua off too, just to be safe.

My uncle screwed it in, and he made sure it went on tight. He is quite strong, plus he does loads of DIY

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Just now, asim1999 said:

My uncle screwed it in, and he made sure it went on tight. He is quite strong, plus he does loads of DIY

Not knocking your Uncle's muscles, just thinking of the vibration from being moved around in the car etc. and all the weight hanging off the motherboard.  That and it's 2 screws to remove it.  I wouldn't take the chance, but to each their own.

take of the heavy stuf on the inside of the PC that isn't fastened on all sides, so things like GPU and cooler. components that are light or attached on all sides should be fine

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Not knocking your Uncle's muscles, just thinking of the vibration from being moved around in the car etc. and all the weight hanging off the motherboard.  That and it's 2 screws to remove it.  I wouldn't take the chance, but to each their own.

He's right, it's not about the cooler staying on. it's about the stress it puts on the motherboard. That being said it may not be an issue, but it's not a bad idea to either remove it or support it inside the case to protect from vibrations.

Wow you guys are paranoid... It's traveling across pavement in a car. it's not like he's traveling down a fire road in a M35 transport truck.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

When I moved to London and traveled over 300 miles by coach I simply placed all my hardware in boxes and fitted it in a suitcase. 

In your case I wouls still temove cpu, heatsink and gpu to be safe. Chances of damiging anything if u keep it in the case are low but What if you are the 1% who gets unlucky. I wouldnt risk that, not worth the money loss.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Haha, if you're driving there's literally nothing to worry about. I wouldn't have removed anything, as long as the PC doesn't tip over while you're driving or something then you're fine. Just make sure that it's secure and go.

7 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Haha, that's extreme. There's no way vibrations from a car would dismount the cooler. He's not going by an ox drawn carriage with square wheels.

3 minutes ago, Doomed83 said:

He's right, it's not about the cooler staying on. it's about the stress it puts on the motherboard. That being said it may not be an issue, but it's not a bad idea to either remove it or support it inside the case to protect from vibrations.

The cooler falling off because it's in a car? xDxD

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Wow you guys are paranoid... It's traveling across pavement in a car. it's not like he's traveling down a fire road in a M35 transport truck.

Right? This is a little ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Thony said:

When I moved to London and traveled over 300 miles by coach I simply placed all my hardware in boxes and fitted it in a suitcase. 

In your case I wouls still temove cpu, heatsink and gpu to be safe. Chances of damiging anything if u keep it in the case are low but What if you are the 1% who gets unlucky. I wouldnt risk that, not worth the money loss.

Chances are you're more likely to suffer damage removing the CPU from the socket.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Chances are you're more likely to suffer damage removing the CPU from the socket.

I agree, don't remove the CPU.  I would still do the cooler though...

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Right? This is a little ridiculous.

no shit!

Everyone consider for a moment how prebuilt computers are shipped.

System specs:

Yall say it's ridiculous, but if you ever broke something on the way you would never say it again

Shipping sucks

14 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

you need to be on one hell of a road for that to matter..

a client of the place i worked at recently moved everything into a new office. everything was moved by the same moving folks, several pieces of (rather pricy) office furniture got bumps and scuffs during the move, the worst that happened to the computers is one that had a bit of a hard time booting up after the fact (got it running after some troubleshooting, still running fine today)

5 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Everyone consider for a moment how prebuilt computers are shipped.

They have form fitted styrofoam to prevent vibration and movement.  That's actually my whole point.

My first computer was a prebuilt and the interior of the case was a giant foam block that enclosed the GPU and hard drive cages to make sure they couldn't move.  It had an intel CPU cooler so it's not the same as this situation, but like I said before- it's 2 screws and some thermal paste!  I'd just remove it.

6 minutes ago, GSTARR said:

Yall say it's ridiculous

I say its overkill because I've transported my rig to and from uni (~140 miles each way) at least 2 dozen times now. I took out the GPU the first time and never have since. Its fine. Unless you have insanely bumpy roads and a 2.5 slot card you'll be fine.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

8 minutes ago, GSTARR said:

Yall say it's ridiculous, but if you ever broke something on the way you would never say it again

if you've seen how i have transported hardware, you'd say its ridiculous too ;)

Do you have more details of what is in the computer?  If your drives and components are secure in the chassis, you should be able to lay the computer on it's side on a thick blanket to protect from any extra vibration.  If water cooling, just drain it and top off on arrival.   The loops with water with the extra movement of transport may compromise a seal.  You might also want to make sure it is some what hidden from view to avoid theft.

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

They have form fitted styrofoam to prevent vibration and movement.  That's actually my whole point.

My first computer was a prebuilt and the interior of the case was a giant foam block that enclosed the GPU and hard drive cages to make sure they couldn't move.  It had an intel CPU cooler so it's not the same as this situation, but like I said before- it's 2 screws and some thermal paste!  I'd just remove it.

...on the outside... They don't remove Video cards, coolers, CPUs, etc. The packing will not save an unsecured computer in a box with the worlds best styrofoam from ripping itself apart because it's banging around the inside of a shipping container. if it moves independent of it's carrier and is subjected to sudden acceleration (ie, sliding across a floor and hitting a wall) something is going to break. 

secure your load. don't drive like a reTard.

System specs:

I've been on LANs by train and moved 3 times during last year. When moving my main rig was sitting nicely on front seat of van. Between me and driver (my dad). If it doesn't move around, you don't need to do really anything. Maybe if its custom water cooling, drain it. But on seat or floor in car, you really don't need anything special. If it would be shipped or packed into bigger haul, then using more padding is needed to keep case from moving and jumping around.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv