Windows 10 won't update past version 1607 (ASUS laptop)

jab136

So, I created a post about this a few days ago, but I feel that there is enough new info to warrant a new post.  About a week ago, windows update assistant installed itself on my computer and started attempting to update me to the newest version of windows 10 since I am more than 2 versions out of date now.  Unfortunately, every time it tries to update me to 1709 the update fails, usually with no error message, it just simply fails.  I have tried doing a manual update with the download from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 but that failed as well, and blue screened upon restart, the blue screen was able to be resolved by going to the BIOS and just going to save and exit, however the update still failed.  After trying all of these solutions on my own, I contacted windows support last night, I am not entirely sure what they did, but they were also unsuccessful in updating me past 1607.  They pointed me to this page https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013416/, which seems to indicate that my computer (ASUS ROG GL502VS-DB71) which was purchased in october of 2016 is not compatible with the latest version of windows.  Could someone here please give me any suggestions or try to explain to me why a computer with an intel i7-6700 HQ and enough space on the SSD could be almost instantly incompatible with any later versions of windows (it hasn't been compatible with either version since I purchased it)?  I tried contacting ASUS support, but they didn't seem to understand the issue I was having and were telling me to try installing it again.

not yet, that is the only thing I haven't tried yet that I could think of, I just didn't want to go through the hassle of backing everything up and then reinstalling all of my programs...

Paragraphs please.

Specs wise your system should be able to run Windows 10, but I don't know what ASUS might have done on the back-end to potentially not make it compatible (BIOS level).

So let's assume that we can get it to work.

Usually, the problem is one of or a combination of the following:

• BIOS control software (fan control software, overclock utilities). Uninstall them, restart and try again
  • Drivers are not fully updated. Make sure you go on the manufacture of the actual hardware for all your hardware, where possible, and update all your drivers
  • Security software blocks the update

2 minutes ago, jab136 said:

not yet, that is the only thing I haven't tried yet that I could think of, I just didn't want to go through the hassle of backing everything up and then reinstalling all of my programs...

Maybe there's something corrupted? Do sfc /scannow from cmd with elevated privileges

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

it is compatible with windows 10 (but it seems incapable of running any of the windows 10 updates past 1607, or the major update that was released in july of 2016, there have been 2 updates since then, the latest being 1709)

1 minute ago, Parideboy said:

Maybe there's something corrupted? Do sfc /scannow from cmd with elevated privileges

doing that now

18 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Paragraphs please.

Specs wise your system should be able to run Windows 10, but I don't know what ASUS might have done on the back-end to potentially not make it compatible (BIOS level).

So let's assume that we can get it to work.

Usually, the problem is one of or a combination of the following:

• BIOS control software (fan control software, overclock utilities). Uninstall them, restart and try again
  • Drivers are not fully updated. Make sure you go on the manufacture of the actual hardware for all your hardware, where possible, and update all your drivers
  • Security software blocks the update

I would try what GoodBytes suggested, otherwise a clean install is probably the only way to update Windows. I've installed the latest version of Windows 10 on laptops that were meant to run XP, it is not an issue of your computer being incapable of running the latest version of Windows.

Clean install and/or temporarily disabling your anti virus software. Try the latter first and, if that doesn't help, do a clean install.

On 26/01/2018 at 4:49 PM, jab136 said:

it is compatible with windows 10 (but it seems incapable of running any of the windows 10 updates past 1607, or the major update that was released in july of 2016, there have been 2 updates since then, the latest being 1709)

Does it have a Samsung NVME SSD as the system drive?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 hour ago, Fetzie said:

Does it have a Samsung NVME SSD as the system drive?

no, it appears to be sandisk

Edit: I just double checked and it does appear to be a Samsung NVME, is that a problem?

32 minutes ago, jab136 said:

no, it appears to be sandisk

Edit: I just double checked and it does appear to be a Samsung NVME, is that a problem?

Quite a few people are having issues with Windows feature updates (1703,1709) not completing the installation with Samsung nVMe ssd as boot drives. They see an 0xc00000bb bug check when the upgrade reboots (cannot access boot device).

This is one of the pages I found when trouble shooting the problem myself https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/08485ba0-f69f-483b-861e-238f161dabee/problem-with-upgrade-to-creators-update-on-nvme-disk?forum=win10itprosetup

Here is an article on CNET https://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-fall-creators-update-hits-install-snag-for-some/

Is that the error message you have received?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

3 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

Quite a few people are having issues with Windows feature updates (1703,1709) not completing the installation with Samsung nVMe ssd as boot drives. They see an 0xc00000bb bug check when the upgrade reboots (cannot access boot device).

This is one of the pages I found when trouble shooting the problem myself https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/08485ba0-f69f-483b-861e-238f161dabee/problem-with-upgrade-to-creators-update-on-nvme-disk?forum=win10itprosetup

Here is an article on CNET https://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-fall-creators-update-hits-install-snag-for-some/

Is that the error message you have received?

yes, that is the problem I have encountered.  so it looks like I may have to try a clean install...

• 2 months later...

Did the clean install work? I'm having the exact same issue and need to know if it works...

10 hours ago, Momi4life said:

Did the clean install work? I'm having the exact same issue and need to know if it works...

Good Luck

• 2 months later...

[S O L V E D ]  JUNE 16 2018 

@jab136 @Momi4life

If you have the Strix GL502 gaming laptop from ASUS and cannot update from Windows 10 1607 to a newer version of Windows, then I am SO happy to be able to type this solution for you!

I have been having the EXACT same frustrations as you guys, for the past eight months! I have tried everything, including multiple fresh installs. I have even had my entire motherboard and graphics card replaced and reset to ASUS factory settings. NOTHING worked.

As you've discovered the problem is literally something to do with the way our specific model laptop with it's specific Samsung harddrive combo is configured - I don't understand it, I am NOT a tech guy. I have tried all the different things on all these forums, including stuff I really had no idea what the heck I was doing..

then, today..

by pure chance I happened upon this post on the ASUS website, and it worked!

https://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1034929?SearchKey=SMART settings/

You simply need to DISABLE one of the SMART settings accessed under Advanced settings in the bios screen. 

I did this, then used the Windows Update assistant.. and for the first time in almost 9 months of getting super peeved at my laptop, at windows, at everyone and everything.. I now have the very latest Windows 10 1803!! No issues at all.

I took me multiple more searches to relocate that link to the ASUS site, and I only signed up to this forum, just so I could post this solution because this issues has been frustrating me for months. I really hope it works for you too. 

update2.PNG.83260887f022c26786813919fdef3833.PNG

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much Shar !! I spent so much time trying everything in the last 12 months !