Has there been any controversial AMD/intel news?

Go to solution Solved by The Benjamins,
2 minutes ago, MatsNorway said:

Yeah, but that was known earlier than this right? So the marked waited for the full picture?

AMD also announced Ryzen + Vega for desktops are coming out Feb, and Ryzen 2 is coming out April, with TR 2 and Epyc 2 following.

I ask because AMD stocks are up near 50% over just two weeks or so. So i was wondering what the hell is going on.

I bought them believing they would go up with zen+ release

Yeah, but that was known earlier than this right? So the marked waited for the full picture?

Doesn't fit in with tech news/reviews, but I would guess its a combination between insane GPU prices from mining, AMD not (?) being affected by spectre.etc, and Zen being pretty good.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

It's probably still the effect of Meltdown subsequent... Was it AMT Intel CPU bugs?

Meltdown was talked about January 5th (little over two weeks ago) and that other bug a week or so later.

Although Spectre 1 and 2 also happened of course.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, The_Stig said:

Doesn't fit in with tech news/reviews, but I would guess its a combination between insane GPU prices from mining, AMD not (?) being affected by spectre.etc, and Zen being pretty good.

AMD is affected by Spectre, not by Meltdown, though.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

4 minutes ago, MatsNorway said:

I ask because AMD stocks are up near 50% over just two weeks or so. So i was wondering what the hell is going on.

I bought them believing they would go up with zen+ release

You've been living under a rock, bro :P 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, MatsNorway said:

AMD also announced Ryzen + Vega for desktops are coming out Feb, and Ryzen 2 is coming out April, with TR 2 and Epyc 2 following.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Ah. Perfect timing then :D Better than my crypto timing for sure.. allthough i have not lost money on it yet.. on paper..

The real question now is.. when do i sell the AMD stocks.

44 minutes ago, MatsNorway said:

Ah. Perfect timing then :D Better than my crypto timing for sure.. allthough i have not lost money on it yet.. on paper..

as soon as ryzen+ launches as everyone is expecting large gains and if they turn out small gains then stocks will go down.

44 minutes ago, MatsNorway said:

also understand they have 2 more microarchitectures being released between now and 2020 and they have the gpu architechture navi coming soon(tm) so stocks will fluctuate around and after these releases.

47 minutes ago, MatsNorway said:

Short after RYZEN 2 launch unless they really come near Intel performance not only spitting distance but i dont think so. 

I expect Intel to strike back. So i will not hold for too long. Intel is still the industry leader. AMD only shines on value the side of things.

That said i also think that the gap will shrink as we go down in nanometers on the processors.

1 hour ago, MatsNorway said:

I expect Intel to strike back. So i will not hold for too long. Intel is still the industry leader. AMD only shines on value the side of things.

That said i also think that the gap will shrink as we go down in nanometers on the processors.

Except for that period of roughly 2000-2007 where you had to be pretty dumb to buy intel in most cases. To do that again AMD need to get performance per thread up to Coffeelake levels, but I don't see that happening. AMD will probably just up the thread count like they always do.