Can you adjust brightness of a LED Strip with giving it lower power

I'm Batman

im basiclly asking will i be able to adjust (lower) the brightness of my LED Strip by using this;

pe198940.jpg

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

No, they look like timers anyway.

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz | MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr II OC | Samsung Evo 850 250GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Corsair 600T White | Corsair H100 | Corsair HX850 | Corsair SP120 QE | Asus MX279H | LG Flatron E2251 | Logitech G502 | Das Keyboard Ultimate 4 Browns | Fiio E10 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Corsair SP2500 | HTC One M8 | MacBook Air (Mid 2013) i5 8GB 128GB

No, they look like timers anyway.

i dont know what they are called in english but no they are not timers they basicly lower the amount of V that the plug outputs

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

i dont know what they are called in english but no they are not timers they basicly lower the amount of V that the plug outputs

Then why does that have clock in it. :P

Then why does that have clock in it. :P

seriosly? i used those things to make my lights dimmer?

im sure they are not timers  :huh:

You can lower the brightness of LED devices by supplying them with lower voltage, yes. If you don't want to limit it at the power source, you can also solder in-line resisters to achieve the same effect.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

no. if you lower the voltage it will just turn off. you need this remote thingy that will keep the tension http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-RGB-5050-SMD-150-LED-Strips-24Key-High-Quality-China-/201000653559?pt=US_String_Lights_Fairy_Lights&hash=item2ecc9292f7

THIS http://www.ebay.com/itm/44-Key-IR-Remote-Controller-For-LED-RGB-5050-3528-SMD-LED-Strip-Lights-12V-DC-/121232894827?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&hash=item1c3a0b2b6b

You can lower the brightness of LED devices by supplying them with lower voltage, yes. If you don't want to limit it at the power source, you can also solder in-line resisters to achieve the same effect.

no

Edited by s3ns3

You can't really lower the voltage of an LED with a switchmode PSU, these units need current draw in order to operate and LED don't typically draw enough for them to work properly.  Other wise simply reducing the voltage will drop the brightness of leds.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

no

Answer this for me then, I used to have some blue LED fans attached to the integrated fan controller on my define R4, and whenever I would lower the voltage, the LED's would become less bright. How come?

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

if you want lower voltages on the leds use the yellow and black wire of the molex instead of red/black.

you can also ad a switch to it so you can change at any point from 5v to 12v.

Answer this for me then, I used to have some blue LED fans attached to the integrated fan controller on my define R4, and whenever I would lower the voltage, the LED's would become less bright. How come?

i tried 7V and 9V.doesn`t work. i think it depends on the lenght of the strip.

Solder a variable resistor in-line with the +ive lead from the LED strip. Adjusting the variable resistor will limit the current and as long as an LED has enough potential difference across it to light it brightness is determined by current.

If you were to switch the molex leads around to provide the LED strip with 7v that would limit current but it could cause problems since the LED's are probably in series-parallel. Reducing the voltage would mean the LED's at the end of the strip might not have enough potential difference across them to light.

V=IR people!

Just get a 10K thumb adjustable resistor off ebay and solder it in.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

V=IR people!

V= IR only applies to ohmic loads on a circuit. Diodes are not ohmic, halogen bulbs are though. LED's have a 'switch on voltage' of about 1.5-3V from memory depending on the colour the diode is outputting. I believe Pulse Width Modulation (PWM, like in fans) is how you 'dim' and LED, you turn it on and off fast enough that it appears to be slightly dimmer. 

V= IR only applies to ohmic loads on a circuit. Diodes are not ohmic, halogen bulbs are though. LED's have a 'switch on voltage' of about 1.5-3V from memory depending on the colour the diode is outputting. I believe Pulse Width Modulation (PWM, like in fans) is how you 'dim' and LED, you turn it on and off fast enough that it appears to be slightly dimmer. 

Well, thanks for that. Learn something every day!

I believe that limiting current is the easiest way to reduce brightness, when not dealing with microcontrollers etc though.

I've done this with many LED projects and it's worked fine for me.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Usually I just attach as many tongues as I need in series to increase resistance for LED's. Unfortunately it's difficult to acquire tongues and dispose of the remains afterwards, so going with what @chaozbandit said about soldering in resistors might be a better idea.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

It really depends on the led strips that you are using, most leds are controled by current thought and not by volts. So you'll need a current power supply and not a voltage power supple, but I can't say for sure without knowing what kind of LED strips that you are using.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

even if you did drop the voltage by 20v the psu would just draw more AMPs from AC so it costs more hehe.

I think ur looking for a 5v voltage regulator

PC Editing / Gaming Rig Specs : i7-3930k @ 4ghz w/ Hyper 212 Evo | 840 Evo 250gb and Seagate 1TB | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | Zotac GTX 780 | Corsair Vengeance C70 Green | OS: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / Win10 #KilledMyWife #MakeBombs

The most efficient way you could use a 12V PWM power controller or an in-line switch like this (This is assuming your LED strip is running off 12 volt power):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PC-Mini-12V-LED-DIMMER-SWITCH-MODULE-W-ON-OFF-DIMMER-FLASH-MODE-IN-LINE-/190833715834

The in-line switch also has some other functions like blinking along with dimmer functions.

The voltage controls the brightness, yes.

Throw a POT switch in-line and you are good to go.

Leds brightness can be controlled via voltage to a point but its going to have nothing to do with what you have posted.

You cannot just solder a pot in line with your leds, it will most likely burn out as they are barely rated for a few milliwatts.  If those device you pictured are not timers and do indeed lower the voltage, can you tell us what the led strips are that you want to run?  are they 12vdc? are they 240/120vac?  are they designed for an rv?  or are they specifically pc lighting?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

• 2 weeks later...

saw this, it basically guides you how to put a strip of LEDs throught a fan controller and then u can change the light intensity to anything from 0 to fully on

Just a guy with a beard

That is not a very good quality video lol.