Why are we still using MOLEX ???

DnFx91

It wasn't until building an X299 platform in a 4U case recently that i realised just how bad this connector is. On a modern platform like X299, every single connector has been refined to the point where its a pleasure to plug things in, barring perhaps the USB internal header. But then you come to plug in the rackmount case fans, and are daisy chaining a mass of 100 year old connectors together, mashing each one so hard you think you are breaking it, and hurting your fingers to simply unnecessary levels. 

The technique for MOLEX seems to be wiggle it for an hour or so....

Can we stop using it please ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Some people prefer the Molex connectors. They are not as common today but they will be around for a very long time.

Why are we using Sata? Theyre so flimsy and snap easily.

Linus is my fetish.

yeah why do we still us it? l mean there isn't really anything wrong with it, but it's a very cheaply designed connector and it's impossible to plug in because hte pins keep moving around, but once you get it in it works fine. so l would have to agree that there should be another connector, but they probably haven't redone it because there isn't a need to. 

36 minutes ago, Bhav said:

Why are we using Sata? Theyre so flimsy and snap easily.

'cause, like all connectors inside your computer, it is not designed for a lot of plug in's and out's and not move. Once a computer is built, you basically don't touch the inside beside the rare upgrade that one might have (think mass population, not just you). SATA and much like MOLEX connector, and other ones, are resigned to give a good contact, cost nothing to make as computers are already expensive as it is (especially in the days, hence why we had those massive IDE ribbon cables before SATA, and even those where complained upon on being still too pricey).

SATA was designed for speed, CPU independent, low cost as possible (which is hard due to the previous point), internal use, with hot swappable capabilities.

Honestly, the SATA power connector is still a terrible connector from a usability standpoint. Why designers felt it was better is beyond me. About as difficult to use as the Molex as one needs near perfect lineup and some violent shoving, god forbid the nearest one to the HDD you installed is upside down. Durability is about the only plus.

Can we not borrow some of the higher amperage connectors from what RC cars use? That Traxxas connector is many times better than either Molex or the SATA power connector.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

'cause, like all connected inside your computer, it is not designed for a lot of plug in's and out's, and not move. Once a computer is built, you basically don't touch the inside beside the rare upgrade that one might have (think mass population, not just you). SATA and much like MOLEX connector, and other ones, are resigned to give a good contact, cost nothing to make as computers are already expensive as it is (especially in the days, hence why we had those massive IDE ribbon cables before SATA, and even those where complained upon on being still too pricey).

Who doesnt unplug and replug / upgrade a lot?

We need better plugs for everything.

Linus is my fetish.

16 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Honestly, the SATA power connector is still a terrible connector from a usability standpoint. Why designers felt it was better is beyond me. About as difficult to use as the Molex as one needs near perfect lineup and some violent shoving, god forbid the nearest one to the HDD you installed is upside down. Durability is about the only plus.

Can we not borrow some of the higher amperage connectors from what RC cars use? That Traxxas connector is many times better than either Molex or the SATA power connector.

The SATA power connector was designed for redundancy in pins to ensure that the hardware it operates correctly, and that, unlike MOLEX, can't be inserted on revers, and allows hot swapping to be possible. As mentioned by others, MOLEX connector doesn't always have the pins properly lined up, in a hot drive swapable bay system, this might that the drive might not fit due to a pin not being aligned properly. The new power connector design solves that. In addition, it delivers 3.3V lane, has extra pins for the hot swapable capabilities so that, for example, power is properly cut when the drive is out, and doesn't cause a power shorts when it is put back in. Includes a low-impedance to ground pins to help better protect the drive and lastly, be slim, allowing laptops to be thinner while using a standard connector.

Thanks to SATA and SATA power connector, you can plug a laptop HDD in a desktop, and technically, vise versa. No more proprietor connector, and now you can replace any laptop SATA drive with bigger or faster HDD or SSD of your choosing, and not locked in to special Dell, or HP drives, and such.

18 minutes ago, Bhav said:

Who doesnt unplug and replug / upgrade a lot?

Like I said, beside you, 'no one' does (most people does not). I haven't opened in my computer since 3 years. Core i7 930, 6GB of RAM, GeForce 680, 256GB SSD (OCZ Vertex 4). When a computer works, it works.  Sure you might want to open it to dust it off (in my case I stop caring as I have Noctua fans, and my computer is a potato. I can barely play games properly). My mother, and just about the mass market of people they don't upgrade. Heck, the people bringing their system to a shop to upgrade anything inside is still very low.