Athlon X4 860k Overclocking help

I need a bit of help with some overclocking stuff with my CPU

So, first thing's first, I run it on an A68HM-E33 motherboard from MSI, I want to know if this motherboard has any voltage spike issues when cold booting the PC for the voltage that my CPU is currently running at

Now, I already overclocked it this morning up to 4GHz, running at 1.4V, I just want to know if there would be any issues if I'd try to go even further, like 4.2 or even 4.5 if I'm lucky, and if I would need to mess around with the voltage so that it won't blow up on me next time I turn on the computer.

All of this was done in the bios, by the way

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

isnt 4ghz the stock clock on that chip? my bor used to run a 760k and that would run on like 4 or 4,1ghz boost

9 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

isnt 4ghz the stock clock on that chip? my bor used to run a 760k and that would run on like 4 or 4,1ghz boost

No, it's 3.7

Granted, it would indeed reach 4GHz with boost, but ofc I disabled that for overclocking

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

3 minutes ago, xFluing said:

No, it's 3.7

Granted, it would indeed reach 4GHz with boost, but ofc I disabled that for overclocking

dude, you have to oc the boost clock, not the stock one, otherwise your cpu will run at oc voltage and clock even when idling and that is pretty stupid

3 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

dude, you have to oc the boost clock, not the stock one, otherwise your cpu will run at oc voltage and clock even when idling and that is pretty stupid

Isn't boost sort of a gimmicky thing though? Like doesn't that only raise the clock of some cores only if the rest are free?

Like say I have heavy load under one core, but the 3 are free, so it boosts the clock of that particular core, but with all 4 cores busy, it wouldn't do that anymore

8 minutes ago, xFluing said:

Isn't boost sort of a gimmicky thing though? Like doesn't that only raise the clock of some cores only if the rest are free?

Like say I have heavy load under one core, but the 3 are free, so it boosts the clock of that particular core, but with all 4 cores busy, it wouldn't do that anymore

Bang on. The Turbo speed isn't for all cores. 4GHz OC on all cores should be fine. This board has pretty poor VRMs so I wouldn't take it further than that until you can afford an upgrade to Ryzen or whatever somewhere down the line.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Bang on. The Turbo speed isn't for all cores. 4GHz OC on all cores should be fine. This board has pretty poor VRMs so I wouldn't take it further than that until you can afford an upgrade to Ryzen or whatever somewhere down the line.

Alright, thanks for the help, I do plan to upgrade to ryzen actually so it works out nicely

Well here's what I do with my 760k to overclock it.

First disable turbo boost.

Pump the multiplier a bit above 37 and start experimenting with the voltages.

The mobo is asus F2A85-V PRO and I could hit stable 4.7 GHz at 1.536V to the CPU.

Sorry but this is the best I can give you for now - that PC is now retired as a backup PC that I use whenever go home in the breaks before the university.

Just be careful  since those chips overclock pretty good but want a lot of power too - mine chip for example is a phenomenon, booting at 5GHz on NONoverclocable motherboard,  but it melted my previous FM2 motherboard power phases! - looking at yours. it isn't much better than my melted one so it's best not to push it much if even at all!

1 minute ago, komar said:

Well here's what I do with my 760k to overclock it.

First disable turbo boost.

Pump the multiplier a bit above 37 and start experimenting with the voltages.

The mobo is asus F2A85-V PRO and I could hit stable 4.7 GHz at 1.536V to the CPU.

Sorry but this is the best I can give you for now - that PC is now retired as a backup PC that I use whenever go home in the breaks before the university.

Just be careful  since those chips overclock pretty good but want a lot of power too - mine chip for example is a phenomenon, booting at 5GHz on NONoverclocable motherboard,  but it melted my previous FM2 motherboard power phases! - looking at yours. it isn't much better than my melted one so it's best not to push it much if even at all!

Yeah, I won't go past 4GHz, as Neliz pointed out, my mobo has poor VRMs so it's best I leave it this way

2 minutes ago, komar said:

That's a very dangerous voltage. It'll degrade your CPU for sure. Going over 1.45V is never a good idea.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

That's a very dangerous voltage. It'll degrade your CPU for sure. Going over 1.45V is never a good idea.

Like I said this is retired PC , for witch i gave 50 bucks for a new mobo just for the lolz and to experiment with overclocking it - nobody uses it anymore except me for 2-3 days in the month (also everytime I reset it before leaving since sometimes my parents get funny ideas) +  this chip is abused a lot! - 2 years nonstop mining at uderclocked state (reduced speed from amd catalyst control) to not wake me up with the fans.

So yeah - thanks mate but I don't care a lot :)

I'm just waiting for a overclocking competition near me to bring it there and see what it's really capable of >D

23 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

the A88X-A ran a 760k fine on the 4ghz and it doesnt have vrm heatsinks and it was used in a prebuilt case with a single 92mm fan in the back. Vrm cooling is overrated he will see anyways whether the VRM will be too unstable to maintain a certain clock