I7 8700k Or Wait?

Johoni

Hello

I want to upgrade my current cpu but im faced with the question: Do i wait for the new gen intel cpu's (Ice Lake/Whiskey Lake) to come out or do i make the jump to coffee lake right now?

Back When Ryzen first launched it caused a lot of competition for intel and as a result they decided to launch coffee lake to compete with ryzen.

With the announcement of zen 2 ryzen will this potentially mean that intel will release their new generation CPU's to compete with these.

Is it worth the wait for it or even how long will the wait be? 

What do you guys think? What would you do?

Thanks in adavance 

PC Specs:
Cpu - i7 8700k (1.25V 4.9Ghz)
Ram - 2x8Gb Crucial Ballistics 2666mhz
Motherboard - Asus Prime Z370-A
Gpu - Gtx 1080Ti Palit Super Jetstream
Psu - Corsair 850i Platinum+
HDD - 2Tb Seagate Green 7200RPM
SSD - 120Gb Kingston 

Quick to answer...

Do you need a more powerful system and can't do anything without it? 

If yes, get a new machine now.

If no, and you just want to have a little more performance but aren't really experiencing low performance, then wait.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

I wouldn't recommend anything from Intel now. Either way though, waiting for at least the new Ryzen desktop CPU's is a good idea, rather than being locked into a CPU with no upgrade path.

3 minutes ago, Johoni said:

Hello

I want to upgrade my current cpu but im faced with the question: Do i wait for the new gen intel cpu's (Ice Lake/Whiskey Lake) to come out or do i make the jump to coffee lake right now?

Back When Ryzen first launched it caused a lot of competition for intel and as a result they decided to launch coffee lake to compete with ryzen.

With the announcement of zen 2 ryzen will this potentially mean that intel will release their new generation CPU's to compete with these.

Is it worth the wait for it or even how long will the wait be? 

Thanks in adavance 

They aren't gonna launch them that soon. Do you really need to upgrade? Then go for it. Don't you REALLY need it? Then wait.

Btw, the new Ryzens will not be ZEN2 but a refresh. If you don't "just game" you should consider Ryzen as well.

Zen 2 won't come until 2019, so Intel won't suddenly release a new generation now.  

The argument has been made before, if you want something better, you can wait until eternity. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Here a nice Vid about that from Jayz2cents

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

If you want something good now: get Ryzen. If you can wait, wait till Ryzen 2. Problem solved, please vote this comment as "best answer".

6 minutes ago, Johoni said:

-snip-

Wait for Ryzen+ in April, there might be some improvements in gaming cause of higher clock speeds that they are getting. I might not be correct, just wait for benchmarks for Ryzen+ in April to roll out and see if you are gonna go Team Red or Team Blue.

PC Specs : i7 7700k, 24 GB @ 2666 MHz, ASUS Strix GTX 970, ASUS Z170-K, 960 EVO 250 GB, 850 EVO 250 GB, 2x 2 TB WD Purple RAID 0, Green 1 TB

I'm not sure about intel releasing cpu's soon. They need to fix the meltdown issue first which is a design flaw, that's quite a big deal. Only when that's fixed they can release new cpu's.

They can't risk launching a new cpu with the bug still being there...

Also Zen+ isn't zen2. Ryzen 2 uses zen+ and the R7's should launch in april (i think), if you can wait until then, wait. But then again going with intel right now might not go as you want with patches being released constantly and without being clear if performance will take a hit or not...

Also, you have a 4790, isn't that good enough anymore?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Coffee Lake is going to be the current gen for probably the next year at least. At most there might be some iterative change that's still Coffee Lake after Ryzen 2/Zen+ comes out. 

if the kernel problem also exists at the coffee lake gen i would definetly suggest to avoid buying it

My experience with coffee lake (especially for gaming) has been great. My i5 8400 hasn't struggled yet with getting 144+ fps in any game I throw at it, and even with a gtx 1080 I'm constantly bottlenecked by the GPU. If you needed a CPU for anything other than gaming you'd likely go for AMD. The i7 8700k is a beast and for gaming it's not really worth waiting for anything better unless you KNOW you'll need more power for your intended use.

Just my two cents 

I had a 1700x and had to many hardware conflicts to enjoy it as a power user so I'm now running a i7 8700k and love love love it... 

Just make sure u get a good cooler if going with the 8700k. 

6 hours ago, Johoni said:

Wait for the release of the Ryzen 2 if you can.

Because things have _NOT_ setteled with the new found security issues...

PS: I have a Ryzen right now and 0 Problems right now.

While my Intel corrupted my BIOS recently because I used the Standby Button on Windows 10...

If you have to upgrade, you could think about getting the worst CPU for AM4 for 50 bucks (Bulldozer Variant) or the slowest Ryzen (100 bucks) and upgrade to Ryzen 2 when it comes out...

Ryzen 2 will run on older boards after a BIOS Update...

WIth Intel, nobody knows...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

PS: I have a Ryzen right now and 0 Problems right now.

While my Intel corrupted my BIOS recently because I used the Standby Button on Windows 10...

WIth Intel, nobody knows...

I've personally been through:

Core 2 Duo E8400

I7 920

I7 980

I7 5820k

I7 6850k

I7 8700k

and a Pentium G4400.

I have had exactly 0 CPU related issues. And I dont get how the issue with your standby button problem would have been related to having an Intel CPU.

Linus is my fetish.

1 hour ago, Bhav said:

I have had exactly 0 CPU related issues. And I dont get how the issue with your standby button problem would have been related to having an Intel CPU.

Good for you.

But it seems like you have missed this news:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-17.10-BIOS-Corrupter

And I don't understand why people make such a drama when something doesn't work on AMD but if something similar happens on Intel, nobody talks about it.

SO how was the Samsung B-Die memory on your 5820??

4 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Good for you.

But it seems like you have missed this news:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-17.10-BIOS-Corrupter

And I don't understand why people make such a drama when something doesn't work on AMD but if something similar happens on Intel, nobody talks about it.

SO how was the Samsung B-Die memory on your 5820??

Well surely thats an issue with ubuntu, and surely goes to show why Windows is superior.

Linus is my fetish.

3 hours ago, Bhav said:

Well surely thats an issue with ubuntu, and surely goes to show why Windows is superior.

And that's why Windows corrupted the BIOS of my Gigabyte X79-UD5...