GTX 1060 or RX 460 crossfire?

maky

What's better to buy? A single GTX 1060 (6G) or two RX 460s (8G total)? They're both the same price where I'm from.

Is it true that it's better to buy a better single video card than two worse ones? I saw one YouTuber who compared dual RX 460s with GTX 1060 and the crossfire setup got better results in gaming benchmarks overall.

My processor is a Ryzen 5 if that helps.

i would go with a single gtx 1060 (6gb). most games have almost no support for corossifre and scaling is still far from great. i think that a single gtx 1060 would do better overall.

Just so you know, dual GPU does not mean that the VRAM will stack. You'll still have 4GB VRAM, not 8GB. And I recommend you to go with the 1060.

I ran SLI Gtx 570/580/650 Ti Boost(s) and they all sucked and heres why: Let me break this down into simple math.

One RX 460 = 100% of the price. Two RX 460 = 200% of the price. Scaling is shit but on a good day expect 30-50% scaling with the 2 cards. I bet you maybe half of the games you want to play support multi GPU at all. So 200% price = 130%-150% performance on 50% of your games?????? NO. Just get a single card that costs as much as 2 of whatever the hell it is you may be wanting to sli/crossfire and be happy that it works and it works consistently 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

2 minutes ago, VaneBlade said:

buy one GTX 1060... crossfire is terrible. 

Okay, so single card solution. Am I better off with a GTX 1060 or RX 580 8gb?

8 minutes ago, VaneBlade said:

buy one GTX 1060... crossfire is terrible. 

Not just crossfire, SLI as well.  They both gave it a good decade or so of development, alas it just isn't going to work. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 minutes ago, maky said:

Okay, so single card solution. Am I better off with a GTX 1060 or RX 580 8gb?

The best single card solution is almost always the best way to go, as most games don't support SLI/Crossfire and they don't scale well. As far as 1060 6GB vs RX 580 8GB..... It all comes down to cost, and aestetic(if that matters to you). I would get the least expensive card that matches the look you want.

1 minute ago, BluJay614 said:

The best single card solution is almost always the best way to go, as most games don't support SLI/Crossfire and they don't scale well. As far as 1060 6GB vs RX 580 8GB..... It all comes down to cost, and aestetic(if that matters to you). I would get the least expensive card that matches the look you want.

I'll probably get the RX 580 then. Is it overclockable?

Unless you already have 1 of the cards and can get the second for super cheap go for single card whenever possible.

Multi-gpu scales depending on the game and driver support.  Some games may see no benefit, some games might only see 50%, some more, some less.

Multi-gpu also can introduce stutter with poor frame times.  You could be running what should be a smooth 60fps but the uneven frame times can make it stutter all over the place.

Equivalent single gpu setups almost always run at higher minimum fps which helps keep everything looking more smooth.

6 minutes ago, maky said:

Yes, it is.

Just now, BluJay614 said:

Yes, it is.

Alright then. Thanks!

11 minutes ago, maky said:

1060 and 580 are both overclockable Both are pretty similar in Performance also. Id just go with what ones cheaper IMO sometimes the 580 has a high Inflated price making it more money. 

Either way you should be happy with either or and WAYY Happier then if you went 460 Crossfire