Optimization

Paddi01

What are the most well optimized PC games out there?

Just write down whatever comes to your mind.

I prefer Max Payne and Witcher series.

MGSV

I can run it a mid settings 1080p on a APU and a 750

My life

Dishonored. The game looks beautiful since it’s more of a cartoony art style and the game itself is incredibly good. It’s also quite cheap since it’s a bit older.

Haven’t played the second one though 

That's an F in the profile pic

PUBG and Fallout 4.

I'd say Rocket League, Bioshock Infinite, Ori and the Blind Forest, and Bad Rats.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

War Thunder. Looks fucking great, plays fucking great, and runs fucking great on shitty hardware. It's free to play, too, so that's good.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I'd have to go with nearly all classic games.

The limitations of hardware at the time forced developers to take shortcuts to reduce file size and the hardware needed.

Nowadays you'll see a "flash game" take up a gig or two when it should be able to be compressed down to a couple megs.

My personal example of this is "V",(Now Old TV) which is 350mbs.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Depends in what way.

Tomb Raider 2012 for example scales rather well in SLI mode, but not really in terms of CPU's (what I mean by that last point is that it doesn't make a huge difference in having a better CPU, which could also mean it's rather well CPU optimized).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

War Thunder. Looks fucking great, plays fucking great, and runs fucking great on shitty hardware. It's free to play, too, so that's good.

Disagreed couldnt run it at min on old pc.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

6 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Dishonored. The game looks beautiful since it’s more of a cartoony art style and the game itself is incredibly good. It’s also quite cheap since it’s a bit older.

Haven’t played the second one though 

That's not really a example of optimization IMO

It just uses a different art style which in turn makes the game easier to run.If Dishonored tried for photo realism I doubt it would be considered having good optimazation

My life

Isn´t this depended on the game engine as well? I mean that for a specific genre you need the appropriate engine in order to make proper optimization (racing,shooter etc.).

Just a guess

1 hour ago, Vandorlot said:

Disagreed couldnt run it at min on old pc.

I was able to run it on lowest settings 1080P on a crappy i5 laptop.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I was able to run it on lowest settings 1080P on a crappy i5 laptop.

same

15 hours ago, Himommies said:

That's not really a example of optimization IMO

It just uses a different art style which in turn makes the game easier to run.If Dishonored tried for photo realism I doubt it would be considered having good optimazation

Also it was UE3 game which were very easy to run mostly.

On 1/7/2018 at 12:40 PM, Homeless Pineapple said:

PUBG and Fallout 4.

I'd say Rocket League, Bioshock Infinite, Ori and the Blind Forest, and Bad Rats.

Funny you mention Rocket League. I was randomly browsing Notebookcheck for GPU performance comparisons and I noticed that the GTX 1050 Ti can run that game at 4K and achieve 60 FPS while using high or very high settings.

On 1/7/2018 at 12:41 PM, Imbellis said:

I'd have to go with nearly all classic games.

The limitations of hardware at the time forced developers to take shortcuts to reduce file size and the hardware needed.

Nowadays you'll see a "flash game" take up a gig or two when it should be able to be compressed down to a couple megs.

My personal example of this is "V",(Now Old TV) which is 350mbs.

You might want to backpedal on that. The accepted performance until 3D acceleration came along was around 15 FPS. Even Doom, everyone's favorite poster child of a PC game back then, had a cap of something like 35 FPS. So while they may have done some clever tricks back then, performance expectations were pretty low compared to today.

On 1/7/2018 at 1:05 PM, Paddi01 said:

Isn´t this depended on the game engine as well? I mean that for a specific genre you need the appropriate engine in order to make proper optimization (racing,shooter etc.).

Just a guess

The engine only handles some of the work. You can make it terrible with poor design, scripting, and middleware choices. For example, we have Unreal Tournament 3 which works pretty well on a lot of PCs, but then you have Batman: Arkham Knight, which ran like crap on PCs. Both used Unreal Engine 3

18 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Funny you mention Rocket League. I was randomly browsing Notebookcheck for GPU performance comparisons and I noticed that the GTX 1050 Ti can run that game at 4K and achieve 60 FPS while using high or very high settings.

You might want to backpedal on that. The accepted performance until 3D acceleration came along was around 15 FPS. Even Doom, everyone's favorite poster child of a PC game back then, had a cap of something like 35 FPS. So while they may have done some clever tricks back then, performance expectations were pretty low compared to today.

The engine only handles some of the work. You can make it terrible with poor design, scripting, and middleware choices. For example, we have Unreal Tournament 3 which works pretty well on a lot of PCs, but then you have Batman: Arkham Knight, which ran like crap on PCs. Both used Unreal Engine 3

yes i understand your point. In other words, it all depends on what you make out of the engine in the end. So it has to be chosen well and though-out which is being used before developing a game.

37 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Sorry I was unclear. I meant to say that the games ran well for what they had - not that they run "well" today (compared to other games).

They may not hit 100 fps, but if you were to take a game of similar fidelity and complexity back a decade, the classic would dominate in terms of optimization - both if fps and file size.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

1 hour ago, Imbellis said:

Sorry I was unclear. I meant to say that the games ran well for what they had - not that they run "well" today (compared to other games).

They may not hit 100 fps, but if you were to take a game of similar fidelity and complexity back a decade, the classic would dominate in terms of optimization - both if fps and file size.

Well funny you say these things anyway because this is why I still believe consoles have pushed a lot of the modern technical aspects of 3D gaming because they were limiting and didn't have Moore's Law to rely on.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well funny you say these things anyway because this is why I still believe consoles have pushed a lot of the modern technical aspects of 3D gaming because they were limiting and didn't have Moore's Law to rely on.

Having consoles be of a similar, contemporary architecture helps a lot with porting games around as well. Makes me wish the PS3 axed the Cell and wait a tiny bit longer for a G80 chip from Nvidia. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

14 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Having consoles be of a similar, contemporary architecture helps a lot with porting games around as well. Makes me wish the PS3 axed the Cell and wait a tiny bit longer for a G80 chip from Nvidia. 

Then the Xbox 360 wouldn't have existed D:

Anyway, on a side note, one of my favorite consoles from a technical point of view is now the N64. The graphical effects its GPU could achieve at the time makes a GeForce 3 look outdated. Granted of course, it wouldn't be pushing the same pixels or performance, but having a fully programmable GPU before DirectX was even a household name? Doooood

Rocket league runs pretty well on a lot of hardware.

CPU - i7 6700HQ @ 3.50GHz GPU - GTX 965m - 16 GB DDR4 - 500 GB SSD

For about 750 USD

Laptop Model - Cyberpower Tracer 15