A question for you guys to ponder.

mr moose

Limewire, Winmx and megupload were all taken down due the ability of each product to allow illegal copying of copyright protected media.

So the question is this:

If someone was to create a large VPN using Microsoft software, and then invited anybody to join and share files,  Would Microsoft automatically become sue-able criminals?

Keeping in mind that Microsoft's part in the activities would be limited to the same involvement that of the creators of limewire or winmx or even megaupload.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

In theory

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Hahaha that is so nice, someone should do that! ;D 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

they could just block the Domain of the VPN :P

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

they could just block the Domain of the VPN :P

Can't you make the VPN domain dynamic?

EDIT: or to pose the question another way, I can use the built in burning software to make illegal copies of dvds, how is this different and should the burning software be removed from sale for the same reason limewire was?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

if the state puts through an order to the isp's to block access to a certain site that's it :P

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

You could also use Microsoft's Skydrive to share copyright protected content.

Signatures are stupid.

You could also use Microsoft's Skydrive to share copyright protected content.

Unless Microsoft forcefully removes it.

Mediafire does it, but there are some files that seep through the cracks.

Copying a CD/DVD/BluRay etc and downloading a copy of a file are the same thing basically. There is no inherent difference save for the fact that one is being uploaded and hosted somewhere and the other is being done in your own home and may or may not be distributed.

Semantics and debate aside I think this image sums it up:

1910667_11086524_lz.jpg

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

If someone was to create a large VPN using Microsoft software, and then invited anybody to join and share files,  Would Microsoft automatically become sue-able criminals?

hmm ?

it doesnt work that way

microsoft isnt that supplying bandwidth or helping criminals directly

its offering the tools which can be used in a good or bad way

its like saying when limewire was sued they also sued Bram Cohen who invented the protocol

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I very much doubt it. Microsoft is great for the economy, the same cannot be said for torrent sites, that is primarily why they are being shut down in my opinion.

Compatible with Windows 95

I very much doubt it. Microsoft is great for the economy, the same cannot be said for torrent sites, that is primarily why they are being shut down in my opinion.

But the law does/should not consider a companies benefit to the economy when deciding if it has broken any laws.  Either providing a tool that can be used for piracy is illegal or it is not.

Therefore if it is possible that a MS product can be used to pirate then should they not also face the same legal consequences that limewire has?

But the law does/should not consider a companies benefit to the economy when deciding if it has broken any laws.  Either providing a tool that can be used for piracy is illegal or it is not.

Therefore if it is possible that a MS product can be used to pirate then should they not also face the same legal consequences that limewire has?

But Microsoft hasn't broken the law. It does not actively promote piracy on it's networks. Limewire does physically promote piracy on it's networks, so, it is doing illegitimate activity.

But Microsoft hasn't broken the law. It does not actively promote piracy on it's networks. Limewire does physically promote piracy on it's networks, so, it is doing illegitimate activity.

Have you seen Limewire physically promote piracy? they were accused of it but did they actually do it?  I saw no actual promotion of piracy. same with megaupload and winmx.

Have you seen Limewire physically promote piracy? they were accused of it but did they actually do it?  I saw no actual promotion of piracy. same with megaupload and winmx.

They know it's on there, so why don't they discourage it?

They know it's on there, so why don't they discourage it?

When I installed limewire long ago, it specifically told me that sharing copyright material was illegal and against the terms of use.

Wait a minute, so no one uses, SkyDrive, DropBox, Cubby, etc. to "share" files?

Do you know the number of randomly generated accounts with "stuff" in them that's freely available to anyone?

Some of you's have been thinking way too deep in the box.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

When I installed limewire long ago, it specifically told me that sharing copyright material was illegal and against the terms of use.

Fair point then. So why don't they enforce that?

Fair point then. So why don't they enforce that?

That's my point, they only provide a product. If they are held accountable for the use of that product, then all companies that provide software used for the same purpose should be held accountable, E.G anything that can burn a pirate cd, or share copyright material. 

All I'm asking is why should the rules apply to some but not others?

Using the VPN as an example may not have been the best example, but people know what I am getting at at least.

That's my point, they only provide a product. If they are held accountable for the use of that product, then all companies that provide software used for the same purpose should be held accountable, E.G anything that can burn a pirate cd, or share copyright material.

All I'm asking is why should the rules apply to some but not others?

Using the VPN as an example may not have been the best example, but people know what I am getting at at least.

Fair point you have there.

Can't you make the VPN domain dynamic?

EDIT: or to pose the question another way, I can use the built in burning software to make illegal copies of dvds, how is this different and should the burning software be removed from sale for the same reason limewire was?

Having the ability to copy a dvd is more for backup purposes. Its like asking why can I copy one file from this folder to that folder... Probably for backups which are obviously legit.....

I kind of see where you're getting at though now that I read back my post.... I think with this sort of stuff, Piracy and copying files, Its all very much a blurry mess that has no wrong, right or even somewhere in the middle kind of answer.

Its just whoever has the deepest pockets makes the rules. Which is stupid.

Its just whoever has the deepest pockets makes the rules. Which is stupid.

I have always said "he who writes the cheques, writes the rules".

The problem is all of the sites you listed were primarily used for illegal activity so they were easy targets for legal shutdown. Companies like Microsoft that have infrastructures that primarily support legitimate business first are less attractive targets. That being said if someone setup a network to distribute illegal software over their VPN's or servers and it became known the companies would shut them down immediately and it wouldn't take an outside order. In the case of the file sharing sites they made the majority of their revenue off illegal sharing so they turned a blind eye to it since that was where most of their money came from.

This is just speculation and opinion on my part so I wouldn't put too much weight on it :P

Jerry (aka. Barnacules)

Barnacules Nerdgasm  B) 

[YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook]

The problem is all of the sites you listed were primarily used for illegal activity so they were easy targets for legal shutdown. Companies like Microsoft that have infrastructures that primarily support legitimate business first are less attractive targets. That being said if someone setup a network to distribute illegal software over their VPN's or servers and it became known the companies would shut them down immediately and it wouldn't take an outside order. In the case of the file sharing sites they made the majority of their revenue off illegal sharing so they turned a blind eye to it since that was where most of their money came from.

This is just speculation and opinion on my part so I wouldn't put too much weight on it :P

Fortunately I don't put a great deal of weight in anything one thing I read on forums, however I do take all the comments and consider the bigger picture. :)